ANNOUNCEMENT : ROYAL MAIL EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2016)... HERE

Rural duty avaiable who gets it.

11 Jul 2017, 18:35

Hi all, need some info please,

There is a rural duty becoming avaiable at my depot which I want, and I have expressed my interest to my boss verbally, it will be advertised internally and I am the most senior member of staff in my office who will apply, been told today by someone the bosses favorite is getting it he's less senior to me surely this cannot be right? I just need my facts before I put a case together, the job hasn't yet been advertised in the office. is it union agreed dutys must Be given out on seniority not on who's favorite in the office.

With thanks..

11 Jul 2017, 18:39

other things being equal it must be seniority not favouritism. :thumbup

11 Jul 2017, 19:30

mjt120 wrote:Hi all, need some info please,

There is a rural duty becoming avaiable at my depot which I want, and I have expressed my interest to my boss verbally, it will be advertised internally and I am the most senior member of staff in my office who will apply, been told today by someone the bosses favorite is getting it he's less senior to me surely this cannot be right? I just need my facts before I put a case together, the job hasn't yet been advertised in the office. is it union agreed dutys must Be given out on seniority not on who's favorite in the office.

With thanks..

Be careful that boss does not insert conditions into the internal advertisement for the rural duty to push in the direction of favourite such as disciplinary record, formal stage warnings for absenteeism. If you are free on both counts and as LL posted other things being equal then seniority should be the basis for selection. Your union rep should be monitoring the situation.

11 Jul 2017, 20:38

Surely, those conditions if they were to be imposed,should only apply in the case of seniority being on a par? God help us if we go down the favouritism route. We are well and truly stuffed then.

12 Jul 2017, 16:08

They may put some bull in the vacancy too. Like change of hours so it does not suit your needs. Or make it family friendly so you can't apply. I'm sure the boss will have something up his/her sleeve.
If none of the above is mentioned then the most senior gets the duty.
If you feel foul play come into get your rep onto it.

12 Jul 2017, 17:03

Could possibly trump seniority with an exisiting disability.
So with data protection how would a Rep confirm rules applied correctly in that instance rather than on face value or doms integrity, honesty :hmmmm

12 Jul 2017, 19:23

Destiny wrote:Could possibly trump seniority with an exisiting disability.
So with data protection how would a Rep confirm rules applied correctly in that instance rather than on face value or doms integrity, honesty :hmmmm

Reps aren't banned from data about individuals under the Data Protection, merely, according to ACAS, that agreements are put in place:

It is helpful for arrangements for ensuring confidentiality of communications involving union representatives to be agreed in advance. This should include agreed rules on the use of data and the exceptional cases where monitoring may be necessary, for example in cases of suspected illegal use, specifying the circumstances where such monitoring may be undertaken and the means by which it is to be done, for example by company IT or security personnel

So if there is an agreement the rep can access the data, he just cannot divulge that Data to 3rd parties.

EG, "Yes I have checked everything is in line with our agreements, your seniority has been trumped" is okay.

"Yes I have checked with the DOM, and Fred can jump you because of his PTSD, and his mother needing help" - is NOT okay.

12 Jul 2017, 22:22

Thanks for that info Tbt :thumbup

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1