not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

LTB 511/16 - Annual Leave/Resourcing Guidelines

09 Sep 2016, 15:14

No. 511/16

5th September 2016

To: Branches with POSTAL Members

Dear Colleagues,

Annual Leave/Resourcing Guidelines

The above guidelines that were circulated to Branches on the 4th November 2014 have recently been subject to a National review.

As a result of this review an updated set of guidelines is attached to assist managers and representatives when discussing and concluding 2017-18 annual leave arrangements which should be concluded in line with the way forward agreement by 31st October 2016.

The attached guidelines form part of the work of the Integrated Delivery Programme and the Resourcing to Workload Strand.

There are a few changes / additions to the original guidelines. The main change is that the yearly traffic forecast will not be used to create a yearly resourcing plan. The experience of this year’s forecast is such that both sides have concluded it is not robust or accurate enough to make annual resourcing plan decisions a year in advance. This change does not impact on current processes in relation to weekly resourcing meetings and forecasting up to 12 weeks ahead above or below your AWD, which should be kept under review using the 3 month model week updates to inform consideration to any necessary structural change.

The focus is on concluding a robust and reliable Annual Leave Plan / Agreement that includes all individuals’ legally contractual leave entitlements as its primary driver whilst secondly identifying extra leave slots in low traffic periods over and above those agreed to facilitate the taking of additional leave.

Due to other priorities it has not been possible to conduct a more comprehensive joint review in relation to the “Annual Leave Calenderisation Work Aid”.

This work aide is a useful tool in assisting the DOM’s and Representatives in determining the leave demand and selecting leave slots / blocks. However, it is currently only a guide and should therefore be used as such.

When using this aide representative’s need to pay particular attention to the leave amendment cell. The aide defaults to an average five and half weeks per person. So if the total is 272 weeks but you require 300 weeks, 28 weeks needs to be entered into the leave amendment cell for the aide to provide the necessary slots.

The aide also has a start and finish Xmas week’s cell that is set at closing leave down between weeks 37 and 40. This can be changed to reflect the weeks locally you agree to close off during the Christmas pressure period as per the way forward agreement.

The existing national agreements, guidelines, agreed tools, procedures and processes in place to support resourcing on an ongoing basis are not affected by these annual leave/resourcing guidelines. They remain firmly in place and will in fact be used to support the process and assist in providing a balanced approach to year round leave allocation and resourcing.

Below is guidance that has previously been communicated to representatives but is worth repeating especially for representatives entering into leave agreements for the first time;

It is essential when entering discussions that CWU representatives establish and allocate the unit’s contractual entitlement first which will in turn identify the number of leave reserves required to enable reliable resourcing.

“Vacancies and leave reserve vacancies should remain under constant review to ensure adequate resource is available to meet customer and operational requirements”.

This exercise should include all staff contractual leave, Bank Holiday credits for annual leave that coincides with Bank Holidays and rest days that fall on a Bank Holiday, purchased leave, and any leave days carried over from the previous year.

For example:

If the above added up to 600 weeks to be allocated and covered and 2 weeks were closed for Christmas Pressure the number of leave reserves to cover AWD would be 12, (600 / 50) = 12. Add to this the leave reserves leave 12 @ 5 weeks = 60 weeks would mean another leave reserve (60 / 50) = 1.2.

In this example that would mean that a minimum of 13 leave slots a week for 50 weeks should be available. If you then agree to open up another 3 slots due to agreed absorption through the summer weeks then in the period June to August the number of open slots available should be 16.

This is just one flat line example. Units may decide not to employ against all 13 reserves and convert some to S/A or overtime. That is your choice locally.

As a consequence of providing additional leave slots in the summer period there will be leave gaps in the ‘winter’ period which you will need to discuss and agree a plan to deal with. There will be more people available in the unit, bearing in mind traffic/workload traditionally increases during this period. This should be dealt with via weekly resourcing meetings.

Branches should progress any disagreements in regards to managers refusing to fully engage and adhere to these guidelines through the IR framework as appropriate.

Any enquiries to Bob Gibson’s Office, quoting reference 445

Email address: outdoorsecretary@cwu.org

Yours sincerely

Mark Baulch
CWU A/Assistant Secretary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

09 Sep 2016, 16:39

Our union should be fighting this not being complicit and a facilitator for warped managers who have no resources because they will not spend any money because of the conflict of interest of their pensionable bonus! So when can we have our holidays October and February oh not forgetting January what a shower of s**t is the CWU becoming the mouth piece of royalmail!

24 Sep 2016, 21:06

Hi, just a quick one: recently received my 1st pick annual leave entitlement form & i'm trying to find out if i can take 2 weeks from tuesday to tuesday instead of the normal monday to friday for next year. Assistant DOM said i can't but i cannot see in any royal mail scripture telling me i can't. I am a postie in a SW DO. I would be grateful for any info please.

13 Nov 2016, 17:47

paul kerswell wrote:Hi, just a quick one: recently received my 1st pick annual leave entitlement form & i'm trying to find out if i can take 2 weeks from tuesday to tuesday instead of the normal monday to friday for next year. Assistant DOM said i can't but i cannot see in any royal mail scripture telling me i can't. I am a postie in a SW DO. I would be grateful for any info please.

The manager is right, it would screw the system up if you didn't use full weeks, you'd have odd days all over the place that is no good to anyone.

09 Jan 2017, 09:05

I have been told by my manager that I can't have all my holiday Inn 2017, that at least one week must be booked in 2018.

Is this true?

I have booked 1 week May, 2 weeks October

I also want to book a week in July. There is space on the leave sheet, but my manager has said that I need to have holiday in 2018.

I still have 4 days left over from carrying over and Leiu days.

Thanks in advance

09 Jan 2017, 09:59

It's your decision where in the leave year you take your holidays as long as spaces are available. Tell him politely to do one or embarrass him by asking to see written confirmation of this "procedure".

09 Jan 2017, 11:22

Thought as much, ta

09 Jan 2017, 22:58

Just need a bit of help. Annual leave at our place has been dreadful. Me and my colleagues have 1 to 3 weeks left in this leave year and it looks like we will be rolling them into over into 2018/19.

I just wanted to ask how I should approach them about not wanting to take my days that I have left over to 2017/18 and I want it off between now and March.

I already know they will say no but I'm not having it. I purchased extra leave and I wanted to take them off this year.

10 Jan 2017, 05:16

You submit three alternative dates in writing, that's showing your willingness to be flexible, if all three dates are refused you ask for the reasons in writing and a copy of the leave sheet for those dates and put in a grievance form ( with the help of your rep ) then follow the procedure.

10 Jan 2017, 05:37

Thank you

14 Jan 2017, 21:49

It's amazing how much difference there is around the country.

My manager is currently speaking to staff who have too much leave left, and getting them to take it before the end of this financial year.

I think some managers are convinced that by making staff carry leave over year after year, they can somehow make savings.
They may in the short term. But long term, they do nothing but cause problems and resentment.

16 Feb 2017, 07:21

Hello,

We have been told by our manager that only one week (i.e. 5 days) of our 2017/18 annual leave can now be taken as individual days.

Because of my hobbies I took ten single days in my 2016/17 annual leave.

Can someone please confirm that the 5 single days only for 2017/18 is part of some agreement.

Thanks

16 Feb 2017, 15:15

No, because it isn't.

However, managers can refuse leave if they give the right notice so what he is doing, although very sneaky, isn't actually against any agreement. See your rep and colleagues and see if you can start a disagreement over it.

16 Feb 2017, 15:47

magpiedave wrote:Hello,

We have been told by our manager that only one week (i.e. 5 days) of our 2017/18 annual leave can now be taken as individual days.

Because of my hobbies I took ten single days in my 2016/17 annual leave.

Can someone please confirm that the 5 single days only for 2017/18 is part of some agreement.

Thanks

I personally think he's being more than fair allowing you to pick 5 individual days.
Taking an individual day blocks an entire leave week for someone else, unless all other leave weeks for the rest of the staff have been allocated and these individual days are still available you haven't a leg to stand on. Can you imagine the chaos if everyone tried to pick individual days?

And no, there is no agreement that will support your position, what you're asking for is completely at the discretion of the manager , a grievance will go nowhere.

20 Mar 2017, 22:42

RM seems to be the only company I have come across, who wont let you take single leave days. Holiday days are part of the job, like getting paid, and you should be able to take them when you want, how you want. I gave over a years notice for my Brothers Wedding, that was on a Friday in Oct, and I couldn't have the day off. In the end I told my Lino, I wouldn't be in, and said did he want me to call in sick, he said don't bother he'd get it covered. Lucky I had a good Lino back then!
Next time I want a single day off, do what the others do, and phone in sick. They wonder in my office why so many people phone in sick, especially on Saturdays. Normally 5-6 people call in sick on Saturdays. 1 lad phoned in sick 5 Saturday mornings out of 7, and that was Nov & Dec time, he only got a light telling off after the 4th time, and it became like a standing joke with the DOM. :arrrghhh

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3