not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Re: Unauthorised and Illegal Use of Private Cars on Delivery

27 Sep 2012, 10:51

:arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh

30 Sep 2012, 07:53

gfboots wrote:thanks for the advise, what would happen if he had to go home to get his sandwiches etc, would he have to leave his car at work and catch the bus?

That is classed as commuting so he could use his car

30 Sep 2012, 07:59

gfboots wrote:no ,not every day ,i was just wondering what the difference was by going home in your car to collect something? or using your car to go to your first delivery point?

Going home to collect something is classed as commuting

Don’t forget your insurance company will do whatever they can to prevent paying out :crazy:

18 Nov 2012, 16:19

fishtank wrote:
gfboots wrote:,i was just wondering what the difference was by going home in your car to collect something? or using your car to go to your first delivery point?

Your insurance covers you travelling to and from work,going home in your car isn't an issue whether it's first thing,last thing,lunchtime or picking up your cheese and pickles.
Using it for actual work purposes like driving to your first delivery point however is considered to be business use and invalidates your own personal insurance,driving without valid insurance is illegal,Royal Mail got around that by providing it's own version of business insurance for private car users.
In offices where DM revisions have occurred that insurance has been withdrawn..completely.

what about managers?they are using their cars to deliver mail and drop off people to help out on delivery etc..one has his car insured for work purposes,what kind of insurance should he have etc et? i thought once the royal mail insurance bonds were withdrawn after revision then nobody including managers were allowed to use private cars,he seems to think not

17 Jan 2013, 17:01

Saw two managers delivering cut off mail this week, in a Private Car...

17 Jan 2013, 17:10

Lad put in a few PMT Vehicle repair forms in. They weren't acted upon, so his van gave up the ghost.
Driver lost 3 hrs faffing about getting replacement van for rest of his round.
So, lost delivery time, diesel, transport of broken vehicle etc, and it all came home to roost. False economy overall..again.
( He was told the PMT's were NOT to be acted upon, so that they could still use the van til its last breaths... and not have to get him a replacement van.)
Beggars belief!

06 Mar 2013, 17:46

I refused to use my car as of this week. My 1st drop is exactly 4 miles from the DO. Monday they allowed me to use a van, yesterday was my day off. Today I was informed that I was not entitled to a van. I was then told that I had 2 choices: To take on a different round nearer to the office, or to become a "floater". When I asked the specific question "So is a car a pre-requisite for my duty?" the manager got all red-faced and then said that I'd have to use a bike then. Where do I stand on this? I've never used my car out of choice and have never had business insurance. If I allow them to take me off my round then they will just draft in another car owner so they can take the p!ss all over again.

06 Mar 2013, 17:59

Bilbosmeggins wrote:I refused to use my car as of this week. My 1st drop is exactly 4 miles from the DO. Monday they allowed me to use a van, yesterday was my day off. Today I was informed that I was not entitled to a van. I was then told that I had 2 choices: To take on a different round nearer to the office, or to become a "floater". When I asked the specific question "So is a car a pre-requisite for my duty?" the manager got all red-faced and then said that I'd have to use a bike then. Where do I stand on this? I've never used my car out of choice and have never had business insurance. If I allow them to take me off my round then they will just draft in another car owner so they can take the p!ss all over again.

If you do work from your car without the correct insurance you could be standing in the Dock of the local court. Its illegal.

Is the duty a P&L or rural or Service Run then a van should be provided.

If it's a single walking duty (pre delivery methods) then a van is not a prerequisite, they should however provide transportation out, or the means to get such - a bus pass or tickets reimbursed for instance.

They should not plan a duty based on private car use.

06 Mar 2013, 18:07

Thanks for your prompt reply. Are they in a position to relieve me of my duty due to my refusal to use my car? The way the managers are treating and abusing the staff at the office is scandalous. This car situation is just the tip of the iceberg.

06 Mar 2013, 18:20

Bilbosmeggins wrote:Thanks for your prompt reply. Are they in a position to relieve me of my duty due to my refusal to use my car? The way the managers are treating and abusing the staff at the office is scandalous. This car situation is just the tip of the iceberg.

They could try and may indeed succeed, but dependant on various things they shouldn't try it on - get the union involved would be my suggestion.

21 Feb 2014, 21:25

If a manager authorises me to use my car, that's good enough for me. Don't give a toss what the union rep thinks... :nana

22 Feb 2014, 07:14

seniority19 wrote:If a manager authorises me to use my car, that's good enough for me. Don't give a toss what the union rep thinks... :nana

And when the police nick you for driving without insurance (you need business use insurance)? :cuppa

22 Feb 2014, 08:40

seniority19 wrote:If a manager authorises me to use my car, that's good enough for me. Don't give a toss what the union rep thinks... :nana

Your manager doesn't have the authority to override a national agreement because it suits you or him.

22 Feb 2014, 09:22

Don't worry schools back on monday.

22 Feb 2014, 10:59

If you are not legal it doesn't matter if the Manager authorised you. You will give a toss when old bill knocks on the drivers door.

......... and if you don't give a toss about the rep/CWU why are complaining so much about them.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 3   1, 2, 3