not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Re: I dont understand !

07 Jun 2007, 16:00

deadbox wrote:I just don't understand why anyone would pay their dues to the union every week, then when a strike is called, cross a picket line and go into work !
The union has a fair system of voting and if the majority of people do vote to strike then you should go with the majority ( thats how democracy works....you don't always get what you want, but everyones had a fair say in the matter )

As far as the " I can't afford to go on strike" arguement goes.....

I am poor , I live from week to week, I rob Peter to pay Paul, I have no equity or savings at all , Friday -pay goes in , Monday -into the overdraft

But I have a moral sence that says its wrong to let down your fellow workmates and always put yourself first !

I lost 8 days pay last time ....I still here .....and still have my self esteam

We need to stick together

DON'T CROSS THE PICKET LINE.....YOULL ALWAYS HAVE IT ON YOUR CONSCIENCE

:Applause :Applause :Applause

08 Jun 2007, 13:30

Dreamcatcher wrote:
deadbox wrote:I just don't understand why anyone would pay their dues to the union every week, then when a strike is called, cross a picket line and go into work !
The union has a fair system of voting and if the majority of people do vote to strike then you should go with the majority ( thats how democracy works....you don't always get what you want, but everyones had a fair say in the matter )

I am poor , I live from week to week, I rob Peter to pay Paul, I have no equity or savings at all , Friday -pay goes in , Monday -into the overdraft

But I have a moral sence that says its wrong to let down your fellow workmates and always put yourself first !

:Applause :Applause :Applause

:Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause

i second that

08 Jun 2007, 18:13

Getting back to the original question from aaron, it is unlikely there would be a lot of work to do. In fact crossing a picket line to work actually hurts management to pay you when there is no work to do. It's so damaging for Royal Mail industrial action. Firstly loss of customers, then fines by the regulators then having to pay trialists and people working.

The delivery officers on trial are the ones I worry about, could they simply let them go? they're told to come in being on trial but if there's no work here do they stand?

Welcome back Andy!!!!

08 Jun 2007, 21:16

It is a point... Aaron in his position can be shafted... But the Local Union Should back him and even if they wont protect him. at least stand up for him and many like... Its a tough call!!!

OUT

PS Hang in there Aaron mate!!! :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause Ur know whats right in your heart and head!!!

08 Jun 2007, 21:23

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
wakkono wrote:whats the gen on picket lines how many are allowed on there and are we allowed to call out if any one crosses it?

Hopefully we will be briefed before going on the picket line, but apprently its a maximum of 6 and we cant yell personal abuse at those breaking the strike. Shouting strike breakers is apparently a No No.
ImageImage There are no hard and fast rules as to the number. Six is only a guideline, the Burslem Boys defied the six number by about twenty and the copper who was called by the Muppets/weasels on seeing that the picket was orderly, took no action but warned the picket to stay peaceful -------------KWAKKON the PicketsImage

Welcome back Andy from meeeeeeeeeeee

08 Jun 2007, 21:43

If i rem right when i was a trialist bout 10 years ago,we had a couple of 1 day stoppages,but i was on collections,not sure if that makes much difference.
Actually it was because the early office was out so we obviously didnt work.
There was no come back for me.
BUT my manager was ok,the DO guys now are a bunch of...........

And like you guys say,especially in this day and age the trialists could get the raw end of it.
Plus Aaron's a youngen and no doubt green.

leighton

08 Jun 2007, 22:04

remember people.
a union is a mass of people united as one in a fight for fairness and democracy.
Don't let that pri*ck Leighton destroy us.
Stick together, it's the only way, and that's everybody!!!

08 Jun 2007, 22:46

ImageImage Welcome back Andy!!!!!!!!! Tommo is right, things can change in a splitsec ---------KWAKKON andy anyone who stood to be counted as a Rep deserves the support if his mates.Image

Re: Working during the strike..

08 Jun 2007, 22:52

Aaron wrote:If there is a yes for industrial action, what happens if people want to carry on working during the strike?

Got told today in WTL that we can still work but there may not be any work for us to do. If there is no work and we come in as usual.. do they still pay us or can they just send us home without pay?

Also if they try to send us to different offices do they have to pay us more? My brother works for UPS and pparently at UPS they will pay you more if they send you to work at a different depo for the day.
Image Aaron!! join the union if you aint' already done so. As soon as your branch office is in receipt of your application form you are a member and protected by Law -----------another KWIPTIC KWAKImage

08 Jun 2007, 23:29

I work in a mail centre of about 800 people , last time we were out we had 22 cross our picket line , we also have around 10 non union staff , 7 of these came out with us . If the 22 come out with us this time all will be forgiven , if they dont then i shall carry on ignoring them unless im forced to speak to them, The last strike was really hard as one of the casuals they employed was my sons best mate , needless to say he has been banned from our house since the strike.

09 Jun 2007, 18:00

great to hear that we will all be sticking together lets hope so as for work to rule in my office its the fulltime staff who are as bad as the part time staff for starting early and taking thier cars on delivery as for me i will start at 5 and finnish at 1.15 lets hope that others follow suit lets show them that we are stronger than ever as i havew just recieved a letter from lieghton and crozier saying that it will be a strike now as they are not giving any more [any more what excactly any more pay cuts or any more unachieviable bonus systems] lets get it right up em :Applause

10 Jun 2007, 07:53

Well said Deadbox,I like your style.You talk a lot of sense.

10 Jun 2007, 14:16

You have to be careful when picketing, I was out for 4 and 1/2 days last Sept on unofficial action. Royal Mail took 25 of us down the conduct code. Remember control of the picket line must be strict, any shouting, swearing and gesticulating WILL get you into trouble. This is a legal strike so lets not be caught out on stupid issues and give HQ no worries about going to court whilst in negotiations.

10 Jun 2007, 14:59

pcb wrote:You have to be careful when picketing, I was out for 4 and 1/2 days last Sept on unofficial action. Royal Mail took 25 of us down the conduct code. Remember control of the picket line must be strict, any shouting, swearing and gesticulating WILL get you into trouble. This is a legal strike so lets not be caught out on stupid issues and give HQ no worries about going to court whilst in negotiations.

Was your's illegal then,re the conduct code?

10 Jun 2007, 15:22

Yes it was illegal and the conducts are just finishing. It has been a bad 8 months. 1 was sacked but got his job back and 13 have conduct issues on their records, the others had nothing to answer. Yet RM were able to prolong the worry and anxiety for months. I say again don't give RM any ammo and conduct yourselves correctly. The official pickets know the score.

picket line

10 Jun 2007, 16:26

Crossing a pickett line in my book is a cardinal sin you will never look upon that person in the same light again in my book so there is no need to hurl abuse at them, just flour and eggs and most of all what sums them up S**T :Applause :nana :Applause :nana

11 Jun 2007, 19:08

As a member of a Union for the last 34 years (since I have been allowed) I haven't crossed a picket line of any Union.

But times have changed, I'm sure I read that of the total work force only 28% are members of a union and 60% of public sector workers such as us and nurses etc.

This then begs the question if it comes to the picket line , what defence do we have against casuals, foreign workers from agencies and our own workforce who aren't members of the union. none of whom owe allegiance to the union or its members.

Unless things have changed there can only be 6 people on the picket line and by and large, in my experience, there is little or nothing we can do. The last time I was involved in a strike a manager was taking photos of those on picket though I can't remember if it was official or not.

11 Jun 2007, 20:07

at the last strike 11 yrs ago the day after a scab was standing at the frame behind me boasting of coming in on his day off and earning o/t on a strike day i lost my rag and called him a f*****g scab he ran to the managers office and made a complaint i was hauled into the office and the manager was the old skool type of manager not like these days he asked me if i had called this person a scab and i replied no and he could check down the 10 or so frames near me to ask if anybody else had heard him they all did but the guys stuck by me and repiled 100% that they didnt hear no such thing and i got away with it

by the way our current manager has already told us how he expects us to behave on a picket line and is he right in saying that there can be only one picket line at 1 entrance as we have 2 entrances the strike breakers can sneak down a side alley to our office but he has also said we can use the toilets and tea and coffee making facilitys so if we make a cup of tea we still discover whos scabbing

my answer was to thank him for the offer of toilet and tea/coffee but as far as the picket line is concerned we will run it as guided by our area reps and cwu not royal mails

also where does non-union or casuals stand can they stay away on strike days or do they have to cross a picket line just wondering as got a few of these at my office who if allowed would rather stay away

pickets

11 Jun 2007, 21:19

you have the legal right to picket any entrance to your building

11 Jun 2007, 21:50

thanks for that will inform my colleagues cheers

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 3   1, 2, 3