not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE




learning reps -ULRS

25 May 2007, 13:38

now can someone please tell me

when a learning rep is appointed they are voted on arent they, and if there is more than one person you have a ballet that union members vote on who they want

now thats how its suppose to work isnt it :Confused

so can someone tell me that the same for the ULRS,

cos we have a situation at our place where 3 people went for this position and we should have had a ballot only what happened next was their names were put in an hat and one name was drawn out

now i dont think this is right at all :so there

as we should have had the chance to vote for one of those three, after all thats what we pay our subs for so that we can vote on things like this

now i am right arent i

Re: learning reps -ULRS

25 May 2007, 13:45

dman wrote:now can someone please tell me

when a learning rep is appointed they are voted on arent they, and if there is more than one person you have a ballet that union members vote on who they want

now thats how its suppose to work isnt it :Confused

so can someone tell me that the same for the ULRS,

cos we have a situation at our place where 3 people went for this position and we should have had a ballot only what happened next was their names were put in an hat and one name was drawn out

now i dont think this is right at all :so there

as we should have had the chance to vote for one of those three, after all thats what we pay our subs for so that we can vote on things like this

now i am right arent i


Totally agree dman. would say it is undemocratic. :mad :mad :mad :mad

25 May 2007, 13:49

Totally agree dman. would say it is undemocratic.


and ironic for a Communications union.

05 Jun 2007, 07:20

its sorted now

there is going to be another ballot to decide out of the three who want the role of learning rep :nana :nana

may the best person win :dance :dance

05 Jun 2007, 14:22

dman STOP THE BALLOT!!!!


ULR`s are not elected. They are volunteered. There is no limit to how many can be within the work place.

If three want to be ULR`s then three can be ULR`s. The only restriction is on training places avaliable at branch level and all that means, is if there are only two places avaliable, someone will need to wait until the next course comes around.

05 Jun 2007, 15:14

its not for me to stop the ballot

that is what is happening at this very moment on nights at plymouth mdec, each candidate is writing a piece about themselves and it will go on the wall for everyone to read and then people will vote for whomever they wish

if you are that concerned then get in touch with the person who got voted in place of karen gadd who got it up and running, they need to be told this not me

05 Jun 2007, 15:15

Zorro wrote:dman STOP THE BALLOT!!!!


ULR`s are not elected. They are volunteered. There is no limit to how many can be within the work place.

If three want to be ULR`s then three can be ULR`s. The only restriction is on training places avaliable at branch level and all that means, is if there are only two places avaliable, someone will need to wait until the next course comes around.


That is ok, our argument was that one of the applicants was drawn out of a hat and told that they were now the ULR 4 our shift, surely that is not fair.

05 Jun 2007, 15:28

Taken from the CWU website: http://www.cwu.org/default.asp?Step=4&pid=442

Becoming a Union Learning Rep
Please contact your local Branch Office to arrange accreditation and training, details of which can be found here: www.cwu.org/branches


What does a learning representative do?

A trained learning representative supports and helps people in their workplace to get back into learning and improve their skills.

This might involve:

· raising awareness of the benefits of learning

· identifying learning needs

· providing advice and guidance on learning to your workmates

· helping to support the learning centre




Why do we need learning representatives?

Everyone needs to continue learning throughout their lives both to remain employable and to fulfill their potential. This is often called "lifelong learning".

Learning representatives can advise, encourage and support their members as they gain the skills they need for the world of work.



Who can become a learning representative?

Although you don't have to be an existing union rep, you must be a member of the CWU and have the enthusiasm to help spread the learning culture in your workplace.



How can we help you?

If this all sounds rather daunting don’t worry – with our help you will get the training and support you need to become an effective learning representative.



What training is available?

Both the CWU and the TUC run a range of Learning Reps courses at venues to suit you. These courses are fully accredited by the National Open College Network – so you even get a qualification while you train!



How much of my time will it take to be a learning rep?

The amount of time you spend helping your members can differ. It will depend on the number of people you represent and the duties you take on.



As a learning representative am I entitled to time off to carry out my duties or attend training?

Yes, the role of the Union Learning Rep is now covered by legislation and you will get paid time off to carry out the recognised functions of this role.



What can I do next?

Contact your local Branch Office (www.cwu.org/branches) to volunteer to be part of this exciting new role. They will be able to arrange for training and put you in touch with the other learning reps and support networks to enable you to develop learning opportunities for you and your workmates.






This isnt a position through ballot. Check your pm`s again dman, i have left contact details.

All of you go for it. :Applause
[/url]

05 Jun 2007, 15:34

Zorro wrote:Taken from the CWU website: http://www.cwu.org/default.asp?Step=4&pid=442

Becoming a Union Learning Rep
Please contact your local Branch Office to arrange accreditation and training, details of which can be found here: www.cwu.org/branches


What does a learning representative do?

A trained learning representative supports and helps people in their workplace to get back into learning and improve their skills.

This might involve:

· raising awareness of the benefits of learning

· identifying learning needs

· providing advice and guidance on learning to your workmates

· helping to support the learning centre




Why do we need learning representatives?

Everyone needs to continue learning throughout their lives both to remain employable and to fulfill their potential. This is often called "lifelong learning".

Learning representatives can advise, encourage and support their members as they gain the skills they need for the world of work.



Who can become a learning representative?

Although you don't have to be an existing union rep, you must be a member of the CWU and have the enthusiasm to help spread the learning culture in your workplace.



How can we help you?

If this all sounds rather daunting don’t worry – with our help you will get the training and support you need to become an effective learning representative.



What training is available?

Both the CWU and the TUC run a range of Learning Reps courses at venues to suit you. These courses are fully accredited by the National Open College Network – so you even get a qualification while you train!



How much of my time will it take to be a learning rep?

The amount of time you spend helping your members can differ. It will depend on the number of people you represent and the duties you take on.



As a learning representative am I entitled to time off to carry out my duties or attend training?

Yes, the role of the Union Learning Rep is now covered by legislation and you will get paid time off to carry out the recognised functions of this role.



What can I do next?

Contact your local Branch Office (www.cwu.org/branches) to volunteer to be part of this exciting new role. They will be able to arrange for training and put you in touch with the other learning reps and support networks to enable you to develop learning opportunities for you and your workmates.






This isnt a position through ballot. Check your pm`s again dman, i have left contact details.

All of you go for it. :Applause
[/url]


In that case we wqill have all three and possibly me as ulr ,sounds good 2 me. Thanks Zorro

07 Jun 2007, 05:46

No worries matey, the phone number given to dman is a cwu phone. The area rep will also let you know what your entitlements are.

Best of luck to you all

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 1