not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Hello, new starter here......

04 Aug 2020, 10:14

Hello..

I am due to start as a collection/delivery driver soon and wanted to ask a few questions rather than asking managers..

1. I presume that if your shift starts at 7am that you don't need to load the van PRIOR to this start time? ie.. just turn up to work at 7am.
2. If your finish time is 3pm and your 40 mins from the depot, do you finish out on the road at 3pm or do you finish at 2:40pm on the road so that you're back into the depot for 3pm?
3. Is there a clocking in and out system?
4. If you didn't deliver all your parcels for the day, do you ask for over time? or do you just continue working till you're done (if of course, you're happy to do OT) ?
5. How do you claim OT?
6. Does 7am to 3pm shift usually include post office collections?
7. Are sat navs supplied? Im under the impression that i'll be covering various different routes and not the same one every day.
8. What to expect on my first day?
9. I see a driving assessment is mentioned, any tips for this? do they look at little things like crossing arms as turning the wheel? (we all do that, right?)
10. Once your priority deliveries are out the way, do you take a lunch break when you please? or do you need to log yourself off the system/notify someone of this?
11. How are we doing deliveries now? contactless with no signatures? can we leave the parcels anywhere? neighbours/under car..etc?
12. Any way to recoup fuel costs for traveling to and from work?

Im sure some of these will be answered on the day I start but, hopefully i can get a heads up beforehand.

20 Sep 2020, 00:43

Hey,

I m in the same boat now, can u share your answers to your questions.

Thanks

Wayne

20 Sep 2020, 07:47

wayne_xiv wrote:Hey,

I m in the same boat now, can u share your answers to your questions.

Thanks

Wayne

After working for a month I can answer them now.

1. I presume that if your shift starts at 7am that you don't need to load the van PRIOR to this start time? ie.. just turn up to work at 7am.
A. Turn up at 7am and start loading your van.

2. If your finish time is 3pm and your 40 mins from the depot, do you finish out on the road at 3pm or do you finish at 2:40pm on the road so that you're back into the depot for 3pm?
A. You won't ever finish at 3pm.

3. Is there a clocking in and out system?
A. Yes, you write your time on a sheet.

4. If you didn't deliver all your parcels for the day, do you ask for over time? or do you just continue working till you're done (if of course, you're happy to do OT) ?
A. Continue working, I doubt they'll be happy if you return back with undelivered parcels (i mean without attempting)

5. How do you claim OT?
A. On the same clock in/out sheet.

6. Does 7am to 3pm shift usually include post office collections?
A. If quite far from the depot then it will include P.O drop offs and collections.

7. Are sat navs supplied? Im under the impression that i'll be covering various different routes and not the same one every day.
A. Use your own or you can use the crappy one supplied on the scanners but it'll eat batteries.

8. What to expect on my first day?
A. Health and safety for 30 mins to a hour and then probably out in a truck/van with another driver to see how its done (second day defo on your own)

9. I see a driving assessment is mentioned, any tips for this? do they look at little things like crossing arms as turning the wheel? (we all do that, right?)
A. I've not done it yet but apparently takes 4 hours.

10. Once your priority deliveries are out the way, do you take a lunch break when you please? or do you need to log yourself off the system/notify someone of this?
A. The new manifests include lunch breaks Usually around 12. You can take it or you can skip it, its up to you.

11. How are we doing deliveries now? contactless with no signatures? can we leave the parcels anywhere? neighbours/under car..etc?
A. Contactless, yes, but only certain parcels can be left in a safe place otherwise use neighbours.

12. Any way to recoup fuel costs for traveling to and from work?
A. Nope.

To add to the above, eventually they'll expect you to do 100 parcels. Its physically demanding and eventually your body will feel it if you've never done this before. Loading your van in the morning can be a pain, especially if you have to scan all parcels on yourself (night shift are supposed to do it). So sometimes you might not leave the depot till later than expected. All faces are quite sour as well, although ive not had any issues with anyone, for anyone to crack a smile (management especially) you'll be extremely lucky. Oh yeah, and you learn as you work, they won't train you or tell you what to do and how to do it. Your shift may be 7am to 3pm but you'll be expected to do OT. Thats why the salary says "circa" on the job advert. I've got back to to depot before at 3pm and they told me the next day that I cant return that early, so they upped my parcels. Also, only a couple drivers were back at 3pm and those were the ones that get into work at 6am to try finish early (even though their shift don't start till 7am) this is an agreement they have with management who seem to be quite easy going in that sense. Oh and finally, once you know your route, you don't have to take all parcels if you think you'll be back at 5 or 6. Just leave them behind and tell the manager.

20 Sep 2020, 16:36

Most important thing is start on time finish on time and take your break. If you want to work over you can but don’t be forced to do it.

The sat nav on an iPhone is decent enough that you don’t need a Garmin or Tomtom.

Ask for sanitiser,masks, gloves and wipes as they don’t auto give em out.

Follow the auto route to the letter even when it doesn’t make sense. If you don’t get time to do all drops / pick ups just take em back and tell debriefer you ran out of time.

If in doubt of anything just ask an experienced collegue. Most people are sound even if they look like miserable cxnts it’s just that first hour or so in depot when you are stuck doing loaders job it makes you like that.

I’ve done this 15 years and never seen drivers put on so much so please don’t feel pressured listen to the advice and don’t kill yourself its gunna be really busy and it’s just a job

21 Sep 2020, 21:03

I appreciate the reply guys, its decision time, I haven't accepted yet

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1