not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Role offered

17 Jul 2020, 16:18

Hi guys, recently I applied for a driver role with parcelforce, the interview was a success and I've just been notified of a job offer. Huray.

The job is a fixed term contract for 4 months. August till December. What are the likelihood of them taking me on, on a full term basis?

I need a bit of clarity and a bit of stability in my life right now as I'd like to purchase my first house in a years time.

I've been offered another job elsewhere which pays more but is night shift deliveries and is 6 days a week, however, its permanent, so I'm am lucky enough to have this decision to make.

Any input on the PF role itself is also welcome. I was told in the interview that in a 8 hour day I'll have approx 100 parcels to delivert. Does this seem about right?

Many thanks

Role offered

17 Jul 2020, 20:29

Hi depends on the area postcode you have with rex auto might be hard to 100 in 8 hours with a break time and getting to the route and return
Would not think you could do it in 8
Hour depo has no 8 hour duty
10 or 11 we do on average 100 stops on that

Role offered

17 Jul 2020, 20:33

Also taking you on be a good boy work the hours they offer you have no sick time any problems ask line manager how you can improve what you are doing wrong if anything
Also speak with lads in depo if you take the job
Ask a few because some cut corners

Role offered

18 Jul 2020, 10:48

Congrats on the offer. Given how busy it is and has been for last 12 months I would say you have a very good chance of being offered a full contract after or during the 4 months. During COVID 19 I’m getting 120-150 drops on my route every day. I’m only taking 75-85 depending on REX I reckon we will have to put more routes In place because it’s carnage in a morning nearly all routes are same for numbers.

Role offered

19 Jul 2020, 04:54

Appreciate the replies..

Perhaps it's worth asking the person that interviewed me what the chances are of going perm? It'll help me make the decision.

Also, I didn't manage to ask what the weekly driving bonus is all about? I think it was listed as 21.77? And another one which said 'up to 16'?

And please excuse my ignorance but, what does REX mean and BSI?

Role offered

20 Jul 2020, 07:39

Make sure you ask if the role is to cover someone on long term sick or if if is to help with how busy it is?

If if is the later then I'd say you have a good chance if will be permanent. But you'll have to apply for the role again when its made permanent lol

Role offered

21 Jul 2020, 06:54

Clifford883 wrote:

BSi - forget what it stands for but it is a measure of efficiency.
REX is the programme that maps out the order of your drops for you.

Role offered

23 Jul 2020, 02:42

Munchboii wrote:Make sure you ask if the role is to cover someone on long term sick or if if is to help with how busy it is?

If if is the later then I'd say you have a good chance if will be permanent. But you'll have to apply for the role again when its made permanent lol

I didn't manage to get through to a manager to ask and HR didn't know. I've since accepted the role and currently going through security checks. A little misleading (the job advertisement) as the CIRCA salary listed is not achievable on a fixed term contract for 4 months. It also mentioned the salary increasing after 6 months service, again, not achievable. If I was offered the job on a perm basis, do I get a salary increase after another 2 months (so 6 months service) or does it start all again? unsure.

clashcityrocker wrote:
Clifford883 wrote:

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Few more questions (sorry guys/girls) only i've been reading a few negative posts in here..

-Do you know what kind of training i'd need to go through? shadowing other drivers? or? and for how long?
-How long are lunch breaks on a 8 hour shift? and are they paid?
-Do you drive the same vehicle every day?
-Is the vehicle fueled up for you or do you need to do it yourself? and where?
-If you cannot finish all your deliveries by the time your shift finishes, do you get OT pay if you choose to?
-Any issues if returning undelivered parcels due to running out of time?
:crazy:

Role offered

25 Jul 2020, 23:06

Clifford883 wrote:
Munchboii wrote:Make sure you ask if the role is to cover someone on long term sick or if if is to help with how busy it is?

I didn't manage to get through to a manager to ask and HR didn't know. I've since accepted the role and currently going through security checks. A little misleading (the job advertisement) as the CIRCA salary listed is not achievable on a fixed term contract for 4 months. It also mentioned the salary increasing after 6 months service, again, not achievable. If I was offered the job on a perm basis, do I get a salary increase after another 2 months (so 6 months service) or does it start all again? unsure.

clashcityrocker wrote:
Clifford883 wrote:

Few more questions (sorry guys/girls) only i've been reading a few negative posts in here..

-Do you know what kind of training i'd need to go through? shadowing other drivers? or? and for how long?
-If you cannot finish all your deliveries by the time your shift finishes, do you get OT pay if you choose to?

Hi Clifford
-At our depot training is done by showing how to use scanner. Looong time ago there was a week with experienced driver but now it's just 'this is scanner, those are parcels, that's your van, off you go!'
-brake is 45min, you should take it and it is in your REX, a lot of drivers are not taking brakes as they are in a rush to complete their work, which is wrong.
- as a cover driver you will be probably driving different, spare van every day. As a regular driver you will have the same van all the time unless it's due service or mot.
- you will have to fuel van yourself. There is a fuel pomp in the yard for vans. Make sure you have full tank, if you go empty it's your fault.
-if you cannot finish your route on time (and probably you will not be able) then you can claim overtime. Clear that with manager first as some of them are funny this way.
- if you have any undelivered parcels you might have some issues, depends on the volume and reasons for failing. I work as debriefer and if driver has a valid reason to fail (traffic, breakdown, no pre advice or lately REX) I never give them any trouble, but again it depends on your managers.
Good luck

Role offered

26 Jul 2020, 00:58

VEHaGN wrote:
Clifford883 wrote:

clashcityrocker wrote:
Clifford883 wrote:

Hi Clifford
-At our depot training is done by showing how to use scanner. Looong time ago there was a week with experienced driver but now it's just 'this is scanner, those are parcels, that's your van, off you go!'
-brake is 45min, you should take it and it is in your REX, a lot of drivers are not taking brakes as they are in a rush to complete their work, which is wrong.
- as a cover driver you will be probably driving different, spare van every day. As a regular driver you will have the same van all the time unless it's due service or mot.
- you will have to fuel van yourself. There is a fuel pomp in the yard for vans. Make sure you have full tank, if you go empty it's your fault.
-if you cannot finish your route on time (and probably you will not be able) then you can claim overtime. Clear that with manager first as some of them are funny this way.
- if you have any undelivered parcels you might have some issues, depends on the volume and reasons for failing. I work as debriefer and if driver has a valid reason to fail (traffic, breakdown, no pre advice or lately REX) I never give them any trouble, but again it depends on your managers.
Good luck

Thanks for that.
Do you know what the driving allowance is all about? And the weekly bonus? Is this a guarantee or not? HR wasn't able to discuss what this was for.

Role offered

26 Jul 2020, 10:55

Driving allowance is addition to pay for drivers. I am not sure but i think it's about 50p extra per hr. Weekly bonus it's a payment that depends on how well depot were doing, in our depot it was about £16 extra per month. Some depots if they are achieving targets can have around £50-60 extra per month. That how it was before they implemented auto REX. Now your bonus is depending on how well every driver is following REX. You can have max £60 extra per month, but because is depending on every driver trying their best you will probably never get it.

Role offered

02 Aug 2020, 01:23

VEHaGN wrote:Driving allowance is addition to pay for drivers. I am not sure but i think it's about 50p extra per hr. Weekly bonus it's a payment that depends on how well depot were doing, in our depot it was about £16 extra per month. Some depots if they are achieving targets can have around £50-60 extra per month. That how it was before they implemented auto REX. Now your bonus is depending on how well every driver is following REX. You can have max £60 extra per month, but because is depending on every driver trying their best you will probably never get it.

Thanks,

Finally, do you know what to expect on the driving test? What kind of dress code would be suitable as well? And would that be from parcelforce depot or from another location? I wonder if they issue uniform before you start?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1