not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Discuss

30 Sep 2019, 19:10

Hi!

I have been driving for PF as a Christmas relief driver. Upon return to depot yesterday I noted the hire vans being readied for return, confirmed by being asked to fuel mine up and remove all 739s, stickers, tape, old manifests and any remains of attempts to eat a BLT triple on the North Wales expressway.

My question is this: When and how are we agency wallahs going to find out we're cut adrift and up the proverbial without a paddle, let alone a Sprinter? My debrief after an almost perfect and very enjoyable day of largely rural drops with just one residential 739 where all the neighbours three doors either side were out (three businesses were closed but we knew that would be the case going in and I still managed to shift the bulk drop) included the words "phone call on Thursday" which could mean me ringing them or vice versa.

For the avoidance of doubt, I found my depot relaxed and easy-going, the work largely enjoyable for the most part and certainly wouldn't object to a few on-going days as a relief driver. There are the usual lack of communication issues (for example, I had to wait for them to ring me to get the depot telephone number) but better that than being micro-managed to the point of feeling stifled.

Thanks.

Discuss

03 Oct 2019, 07:10

MaxP wrote:Hi!

I have been driving for PF as a Christmas relief driver. Upon return to depot yesterday I noted the hire vans being readied for return, confirmed by being asked to fuel mine up and remove all 739s, stickers, tape, old manifests and any remains of attempts to eat a BLT triple on the North Wales expressway.

My question is this: When and how are we agency wallahs going to find out we're cut adrift and up the proverbial without a paddle, let alone a Sprinter? My debrief after an almost perfect and very enjoyable day of largely rural drops with just one residential 739 where all the neighbours three doors either side were out (three businesses were closed but we knew that would be the case going in and I still managed to shift the bulk drop) included the words "phone call on Thursday" which could mean me ringing them or vice versa.

For the avoidance of doubt, I found my depot relaxed and easy-going, the work largely enjoyable for the most part and certainly wouldn't object to a few on-going days as a relief driver. There are the usual lack of communication issues (for example, I had to wait for them to ring me to get the depot telephone number) but better that than being micro-managed to the point of feeling stifled.

Thanks.

..With the current climate within the business,and the uncertaincy of potential industrial action,,it seems strange that the business is returning the hire vans to the hire company since if the result of the ballot is for industrial action up to and including strike action,then the business will need all the agency workers,and vehicles it can muster.
Agency workers are in the uneviable postiton of having to cross a picket line to get to work,since if they don't work ,then they don't get paid,,plus ,,if the agency worker says to the agency that they refused to cross a picket line then its an odds on certainty that the worker will not get work from that agency again,,or any other agency ,as these agencies share data..
To answer your other question,,don't believe a word of the bulls,it coming from the DMs mouth when they say that you could be working for them after Christmas,if you perform well,,no matter how hard you work ,and how good you do the job,the management team will already have their own people waiting in line for a permanent job in the new year,
Good Luck,

Discuss

03 Oct 2019, 12:37

Using extra agency temps to replace striking drivers is illegal.

I wouldn’t worry about the vans going back probably just swapping van hire firms.

Discuss

03 Oct 2019, 13:34

iainwilson wrote:Using extra agency temps to replace striking drivers is illegal.

Not necessarily Iain.
An agency can recruit and supply staff to the business as long as the business then employs them directly. If the business employs them directly even on a short term contract they are free to move them anywhere in the business even to carry out the work of striking staff.

Discuss

04 Oct 2019, 20:16

Woody Guthrie wrote:
iainwilson wrote:Using extra agency temps to replace striking drivers is illegal.

Not necessarily Iain.
An agency can recruit and supply staff to the business as long as the business then employs them directly. If the business employs them directly even on a short term contract they are free to move them anywhere in the business even to carry out the work of striking staff.

You can’t hire agency staff to provide temporary work cover during a strike. Agency staff who are already in place can carry on as usual

This is a direct quote from gov.uk

Discuss

05 Oct 2019, 03:14

You can’t hire agency staff to provide temporary work cover during a strike

1. An employment agency can legally supply workers at any time for the business (RM) to employ directly.

2. The business (RM) can then directly employ these workers on any terms it wants.

3. The business (RM) can legally move these workers anywhere in the business including to cover for striking workers.

4. As these workers are directly employed by the business (RM)
they are not defined as Agency Staff and therefore not restricted by the law.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1