not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

You can now order LED torches!!!

17 Oct 2020, 08:27

On the uniform website you can now order LED torches - are they trying to tell us something?????

17 Oct 2020, 11:31

we might be out till the early hours of the morning? :left:

17 Oct 2020, 13:21

During the Winter months some of us older posties struggle to read addresses in tenements that have poor or no stair lighting. I have regularly used a small head torch for years now.... Good on Royal Mail :thumbup

17 Oct 2020, 14:31

Torches have always been available one way or another. Everyone used to have one back in the day to deliver in the dark except back then it was at the start of the day. I suspect that if they went back to 4 and 5am starts and out the door by 6am there wouldn't be any whinging about delivering in the dark.

17 Oct 2020, 15:14

97gaz wrote:Torches have always been available one way or another. Everyone used to have one back in the day to deliver in the dark except back then it was at the start of the day. I suspect that if they went back to 4 and 5am starts and out the door by 6am there wouldn't be any whinging about delivering in the dark.

The difference is back then you started in the dark and it got lighter as you got more tired - not the other way around

17 Oct 2020, 16:43

97gaz wrote:Torches have always been available one way or another. Everyone used to have one back in the day to deliver in the dark except back then it was at the start of the day. I suspect that if they went back to 4 and 5am starts and out the door by 6am there wouldn't be any whinging about delivering in the dark.

Yes there would, I have no desire to start work at 4 or 5 in the morning or start delivering mail at 6 in the morning in the dark.

17 Oct 2020, 16:56

I know a lot of posties including myself that would jump at the chance of 5am starts again..

17 Oct 2020, 17:19

Decky Boy wrote:During the Winter months some of us older posties struggle to read addresses in tenements that have poor or no stair lighting. I have regularly used a small head torch for years now.... Good on Royal Mail :thumbup

Indeed.Dont You Just love the red envelopes with black writing :roll:

17 Oct 2020, 18:01

Will we be able to get the batteries for them though?

Off topic slightly though - anybody been informed by their admin staff that blue crayons can't be provided anymore for kill offs?

17 Oct 2020, 18:03

yellowbelly wrote:Will we be able to get the batteries for them though?

Off topic slightly though - anybody been informed by their admin staff that blue crayons can't be provided anymore for kill offs?

The Managers kept eating them I imagine. :nana

17 Oct 2020, 19:47

yellowbelly wrote:Will we be able to get the batteries for them though?

Managers using them to apply for more suitable employment opportunities! :chuckle

17 Oct 2020, 20:21

postieblueshirt wrote:I know a lot of posties including myself that would jump at the chance of 5am starts again..

No chance it’s anti social hours with a family, you would need to be in bed for 8 o’clock, those days are gone with the shift allowance, I now start at 715?and not a minute earlier take break and claim or cut off

17 Oct 2020, 20:39

04:00 or 05:00 starts for DOs will never happen again, you wouldn't have the work to sort on the IPS and at 04:00 MCs won't have yet had all their arrivals from the RDCs and neighbouring MCs in

17 Oct 2020, 20:43

matthew68 wrote:
postieblueshirt wrote:I know a lot of posties including myself that would jump at the chance of 5am starts again..

No chance it’s anti social hours with a family, you would need to be in bed for 8 o’clock, those days are gone with the shift allowance, I now start at 715?and not a minute earlier take break and claim or cut off

They are thinking of pushing the time forward not backwards.

17 Oct 2020, 21:40

k979aaa wrote:
matthew68 wrote:

I know they have been bringing the times forward and they always will.just saying a lot of people wished they still started at the old times

17 Oct 2020, 23:54

postieblueshirt wrote:
k979aaa wrote:
matthew68 wrote:

I know they have been bringing the times forward and they always will.just saying a lot of people wished they still started at the old times

Pipe line and automation means less people and dispatch times for all for some it will suit for others not.

18 Oct 2020, 10:20

Moving the start times forward was ALWAYS about reducing the amount RM pay out for work competed before 0600. They dress it up as being about helping the 'customer' or even the 'recipient' but it was never about that. In fact the earlier some 'recipients' receive their mail the happier they are.
On the subject of delivering in the dark at start of delivery it was always a pain in the **** back when we had bikes struggling to read the addresses. The torches back then including the cycle lights were never that good. Most of us like finishing earlier for numerous reasons but I wouldn't want to go back to that. I did like using the bikes but the amount of packets & parcels we deal with nowadays make going back impossible. I do think we should resist moves to deliver any later than we already do though.

18 Oct 2020, 12:05

Celgar wrote:Moving the start times forward was ALWAYS about reducing the amount RM pay out for work competed before 0600. They dress it up as being about helping the 'customer' or even the 'recipient' but it was never about that. In fact the earlier some 'recipients' receive their mail the happier they are.
On the subject of delivering in the dark at start of delivery it was always a pain in the **** back when we had bikes struggling to read the addresses. The torches back then including the cycle lights were never that good. Most of us like finishing earlier for numerous reasons but I wouldn't want to go back to that. I did like using the bikes but the amount of packets & parcels we deal with nowadays make going back impossible. I do think we should resist moves to deliver any later than we already do though.

Why resist to deliver later, if your start time gets later you will have to deliver later. It really is that simple. I remember starting at 5am and going out at 6:45 to start delivering, I would rather go back to those days than start later.

18 Oct 2020, 12:13

Celgar wrote:Moving the start times forward was ALWAYS about reducing the amount RM pay out for work competed before 0600. They dress it up as being about helping the 'customer' or even the 'recipient' but it was never about that. In fact the earlier some 'recipients' receive their mail the happier they are.

It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.

18 Oct 2020, 14:05

97gaz wrote:It wasn't easy working those hours but I really do miss being back home before 12. Back when I started on a 18 hour contract over twenty years ago there were times I was back home for 9am.

Back in time for a quick shower then onto my 2nd job in the afternoon.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2