not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 19:16

Ring Doorbell and any other remote doorbells question, I used one today for a signed for letter and no-one was in but it got me wondering what's RM position on the customer asking remotely for it to be delivered as signed? at the moment customers obviously don't physically sign anyway. I mean I can guess the answer, but we have never had any RM information on these devices.
Oh and I get that there's a lot of posties that won't use these type of bells out of principle

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 19:24

It's a grey area because there isn't a specific rule that applies to a virtual presence as opposed to a physical presence.

If a customer asks you in person to sign for an item because they are unable to you can, even if a customer refuses to sign for an item you are supposed to give them it but both of those scenarios presume that the customer is present.

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 19:54

" even if a customer refuses to sign for an item you are supposed to give them it but both of those scenarios presume that the customer is present."
I never knew that, I would put it down as refused and return it to sender.

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 20:11

Woody Guthrie wrote:It's a grey area because there isn't a specific rule that applies to a virtual presence as opposed to a physical presence.

If a customer asks you in person to sign for an item because they are unable to you can, even if a customer refuses to sign for an item you are supposed to give them it but both of those scenarios presume that the customer is present.

I remember being trained 35+ years ago that if a customer refused to sign for a recorded delivery, what's now known as a 'Signed for' then you were supposed to hand it over if requested, but speaking to newer colleagues none had ever heard of this so I supposed that this wasn't the case anymore.
But no-one has ever told me that this doesn't now apply! be interesting if I ever got into trouble for handing over a signed for without getting a signature and my defense was that I was trained to do so :crazy:

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 20:34

That was how we were trained.
Mark it as refused to sign and hand it over.
If it's changed which it might have they haven't bothered to tell us which is also sadly possible.

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 20:56

Why did you need to ring it if it was only a letter, scan it on the doorstep and stick it through. That’s what we have been told to do.

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 21:15

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Why did you need to ring it if it was only a letter, scan it on the doorstep and stick it through. That’s what we have been told to do.

It might be what you've been told to do but it's not what you're supposed to do.

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 21:23

If it fits through the letterbox then post it, they aren't signing for it anyway we are

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 21:33

Great advice so if it's a load of currency you sign it put it through they say they never received it goodbye job.dont give them ammunition to fire you..that's what they want all that service gone...

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 21:44

If it`s scanned on the door step they can clam what they want, they have no claim as the outdoors actuals will show where it`s been scanned/submitted.

Also ring camera has proof that it has been posted through the door.

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 21:54

Janet Brum wrote:If it`s scanned on the door step they can clam what they want, they have no claim as the outdoors actuals will show where it`s been scanned/submitted.

Also ring camera has proof that it has been posted through the door.

Pda can say what it likes just because it was scanned at the door doesn't give cast iron proof you put it through and you have no way of knowing if the bell is filming you at that moment in time.all I'm saying if you have nearly 30 years service they will look to get rid to save them money,I wouldn't take the risk.

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 22:11

Nothing gives cast iron proof.
A signature is not cast iron proof.
If a customer decides to lie they'll deny the signature is theirs, they'll deny you handed them the item, they'll say they've never seen your face before.
I've been there and the PDA scan was better proof of delivery than the scrawl on the PDA.

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 22:13

grchpo wrote:If it fits through the letterbox then post it, they aren't signing for it anyway we are

But you have to check the name of the person receiving the item and enter it on the pda, how can you do that if no one is in and you just post it through the letterbox?

Ring Doorbell

15 Oct 2020, 23:21

I never touch a Ring doorbell, as soon as you do you are making your life far more complicated than it was seconds before. If they don't answer the knock on the door or an ordinary bell ring, take it to a neighbour or leave a card for them to pick up at the office. The Ring doorbell is sold to people on the false pretence that we will leave it on the step or round the back. Whereas we can't do that and can be disciplined for it if it goes wrong, don't put yourself at risk

Ring Doorbell

16 Oct 2020, 00:26

redneck wrote:I never touch a Ring doorbell, as soon as you do you are making your life far more complicated than it was seconds before. If they don't answer the knock on the door or an ordinary bell ring, take it to a neighbour or leave a card for them to pick up at the office. The Ring doorbell is sold to people on the false pretence that we will leave it on the step or round the back. Whereas we can't do that and can be disciplined for it if it goes wrong, don't put yourself at risk

Top Marks knock instead if the the house owner says anything as we don't use door bells as most of the time the batteries are flat. You will always get one who will make a point of pressing it in front of you saying see it does work my reply is it is for security reasons we are not allowed to touch them. None have got further than this with me so far!

Ring Doorbell

16 Oct 2020, 14:45

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Why did you need to ring it if it was only a letter, scan it on the doorstep and stick it through. That’s what we have been told to do.

never had things signed for since march

Ring Doorbell

16 Oct 2020, 14:52

redneck wrote:I never touch a Ring doorbell, as soon as you do you are making your life far more complicated than it was seconds before. If they don't answer the knock on the door or an ordinary bell ring, take it to a neighbour or leave a card for them to pick up at the office. The Ring doorbell is sold to people on the false pretence that we will leave it on the step or round the back. Whereas we can't do that and can be disciplined for it if it goes wrong, don't put yourself at risk

Ive never used a RING bell in over 2 years, absolute waste of time.
Used it once and regretted it.

Customer answers "I'm not in", yeah i know. "Can you leave it with my neighbour", yes OK.

I try the neighbour who also has a ring bell. Eventually answers the door after waiting about 2 minutes and tells me "sorry i couldn't find my phone to answer the door, so i had to get up to open it anyway"

Ring Doorbell

16 Oct 2020, 18:01

My experience today press the ring bell customer says hello I answer and tell them that i have a parcel for them they reply was won't it fit through the letterbox. Well i'm saying to myself if it did i wouldn't be ringing. No it's to big I say . Can you leave by the wheelie bin .

Ring Doorbell

16 Oct 2020, 19:16

grchpo wrote:If it fits through the letterbox then post it, they aren't signing for it anyway we are
We are not signing for it. We are putting a code of XP1 where the customer would usually sign, a code is not a signature - and this instruction is from our employer.
When we are in a situation where the slightest breach of rules will land you a conduct or worse a sacking, why risk it?
The rules are that if it is a signed for item, you place it on the doorstep, stand back 2 metres, wait for the door to open. If door opened ask for customers name, put that in the PDA and XP1 it, witness them pick up said item and take it in. If no answer, retrieve item and 739 it. Backside covered, job and pension still intact.
Last edited by barncopxx on 17 Oct 2020, 08:06, edited 1 time in total.

Ring Doorbell

16 Oct 2020, 20:10

barncopxx wrote:
We are not signing for it. We are putting a code of XP1 where the customer would usually sign, a code is not a signature - and this instruction is from the employer.
When we are in a situation where the slightest breach of rules will land you a conduct or worse a sacking, why risk it?
The rules are that if it is a signed for item, you place it on the doorstep, stand back 2 metres, wait for the door to open. If door opened ask for customers name, put that in the PDA and XP1 it. If no answer, pick up item and 739 it. Backside covered.

Here here totally agree if you dont want sacked follow this advice..

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3