not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Can't get desired annual leave

28 Sep 2020, 22:40

sindba wrote:Pretty much every company or public service needs the right number of people to cover a day's work.

But few employees in these organisations have to book all - yes ALL - their leave 18 months in advance.

Sorry, but the leave system in RM is insane.

I book 4 weeks when we pick them save 2 weeks to have odd days off when I want, obviously can’t be too fussy about when the odd days are but just ask in the office then use those days to get my jobs at home done.

28 Sep 2020, 23:01

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
sindba wrote:Pretty much every company or public service needs the right number of people to cover a day's work.

But few employees in these organisations have to book all - yes ALL - their leave 18 months in advance.

Sorry, but the leave system in RM is insane.

I book 4 weeks when we pick them save 2 weeks to have odd days off when I want, obviously can’t be too fussy about when the odd days are but just ask in the office then use those days to get my jobs at home done.

We can’t save any leave. We are told any leave not picked by a certain date will be allocated.

Can’t get desired annual leave

29 Sep 2020, 20:23

Blinkboy44 wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
Blinkboy44 wrote:Not really bothered , il go off sick all year if I have to , then by the time my holiday comes round they’ll be sick of calling me, loosing money and not being able to have a life is enough grounds to go off with stress tbh.

Are you for real? Who books a holiday before you know you have time off for it? Doesn't sound like you've been in the world of work for long to me. As for staying you'll just go off sick for a yr.....grow up mate.

Perhaps if you could read properly some of your questions would be answered. And sadly that isn’t true, although if it was what difference would that make? Sounds like you’ve been in the same workplace too long. Believe it or not in some other work places people can actually rely on getting the holidays they want. Wow.

Well matey boy, you'd better get a job in one of those places then, coz it ain't gonna happen in royal mail mate.

29 Sep 2020, 20:28

sindba wrote:Agree with the OP. No workplace has the insane system of leave like RM, where you have to apply years in advance and might get turned down.

In most jobs a word with your boss "wife's booked a holiday in a few weeks, that ok?" Is enough.

We're all institutionalised in this job. This kind of crap we suffer is NOT normal.

Go sick, f*ck em and their outdated practices.

Actually my other half works in the NHS and she had to put in next yrs choices before me!

29 Sep 2020, 23:25

Woody Guthrie wrote:
What happens if there is just no availability for annual leave to be taken?

On paper that can't happen.
The number of leave slots opened up is determined by the number of leave weeks required, not the other way around.

If an office needs 96 leave weeks it would require 2 leave slots per week allowing for 4 weeks Christmas pressure.

Someone somewhere isn't doing their job properly.

Our office didn't have enough slots for a number of years. We had an incompetent DOM at that time though so I guess it might have been his fault. So it is possible for there not to be enough weeks available in RM.

30 Sep 2020, 00:46

That's why I said on paper it can't happen.
Off paper anything can and usually does happen but if the annual leave system is used properly it will automatically produce enough leave slots to fully cover office entitlement.

30 Sep 2020, 08:53

Celgar wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:
What happens if there is just no availability for annual leave to be taken?

On paper that can't happen.
The number of leave slots opened up is determined by the number of leave weeks required, not the other way around.

If an office needs 96 leave weeks it would require 2 leave slots per week allowing for 4 weeks Christmas pressure.

Someone somewhere isn't doing their job properly.

Our office didn't have enough slots for a number of years. We had an incompetent DOM at that time though so I guess it might have been his fault. So it is possible for there not to be enough weeks available in RM.

It's a certainty that the leave slots were available.

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 3   1, 2, 3