not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Massive Xmas Failure.

21 Sep 2020, 08:43

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
HTPostman wrote:As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.

That’s fair enough, grab the money whilst you can. I can’t see the afternoon shift working for much longer up here, people have had enough and are handing back when their time is up.

I’m not too sure how it’s going to work.
Van availability at 2 pm onLy leaves 2.5 hours of daylight in December.
Parcel delivery maybe ok but not delivering letters in the dark.

Maybe concentrate on delivering letters only until dark then parcels?

Massive Xmas Failure.

21 Sep 2020, 09:48

iHateD2Ds wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
HTPostman wrote:As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.

That’s fair enough, grab the money whilst you can. I can’t see the afternoon shift working for much longer up here, people have had enough and are handing back when their time is up.

I’m not too sure how it’s going to work.
Van availability at 2 pm onLy leaves 2.5 hours of daylight in December.
Parcel delivery maybe ok but not delivering letters in the dark.

Maybe concentrate on delivering letters only until dark then parcels?

Plus, who's back at 2pm in November and December?

Massive Xmas Failure.

21 Sep 2020, 14:28

[quote="HTPostman"
As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.[/quote]

I wouldnt start rumours like that on here... :no no :no no

Massive Xmas Failure.

21 Sep 2020, 18:31

2yearpostie wrote:[quote="HTPostman"
As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.

I wouldnt start rumours like that on here... :no no :no no[/quote]

The rumour came from a line manager, she said it’s one of the avenues they are looking at. We will see, I hope not.

Massive Xmas Failure.

21 Sep 2020, 18:44

xPandabear1992x wrote:
HTPostman wrote:I’m another massively in favour of not going back to van share. I can do the round how I want, take my break when I want, go at my own speed. One of the biggest things for me is loading the van exactly how I want to. Pre Covid I knew 25 park and loops, so I had to get used to each colleagues way of doing it...some people load from the back, some from the drivers side, some from the passengers side. Some put your bags with theirs, others separate them, then others just dump them and don’t label them so you spend 5 mins every loop finding the right bag. Then you have those who don’t put anything bigger than a magazine in the bundle so you’re constantly routing around in the pouch for tiny parcels. Not to mention some turn for packets, some don’t. Like I say, each to their own but I prefer to be on my own doing it my way where I know where everything is and never miss packets.

As for Christmas, rumours of those on 25 hour contracts here at my office starting at 12.30. If that’s not the case I’ll do what overtime I can, when I want/am asked. I totally understand goodwill has gone for most people, but my attitude is it’s a good period to boost my bank balance. Especially as I am near the bottom of the seniority ladder and have no idea what the future will hold.

exactly my POV.

Prefer working alone on my terms. I love my colleagues. I do. But it gets a bit boring when they're all like 'it's my way or the highway' and so you try it one person's way and the next day you're with someone else and getting aggro again.

The only aggro I get from working alone is the missorts if im on afternoon duty.

Most of the time I can understand my fellow workers systems but there’s some I just can’t get my head round their methods, things like where to put parcels on top of the frame. One guy puts street names A to D on top of column 1, street names E to H on top of column 2 etc, drives me mad.

I worked with another last November who refuses to do a parcel list, even when I said I’d do a list he told me not to. I went there on the early shift there with a parcel, then when we started the round did the specials first and went to the same address, later it was on my loop and I went there with a letter, then went there with an oversized parcel....4 visits in 1 day. Once up the garden path right?

And don’t get me started on those who bundle 2 parcels together but 1 of the barcodes facing in.

Massive Xmas Failure.

21 Sep 2020, 21:47

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Do the job as prescribed in the hours given by the company. Goodwill has long gone.

I agree 100%. The more people who just simply work their contracted hours, take their breaks and go home, the bigger the message that will get across to Managers/Senior Management that things need to change and that the workload now, let alone at Christmas time can barely, if not at all be completed within contracted hours. How about instead of occasional overtime, we get more contracted hours? It's that simple!

The more people continue to work for free as in coming in way before their actual start time, not taking a PAID for break and letting Management emotionally blackmail them into doing overtime (which is completely voluntary for those who don't know), the heavier the workload. Oh, and to top things off: Management get a lovely little end of year bonus for saving hours at the expense of us exhausting ourselves.

So PLEASE people, for the sake of changing things for the better in this company:

Work your contracted hours, take your paid for breaks, go home. :wave

Massive Xmas Failure.

22 Sep 2020, 16:35

edward918 wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:Do the job as prescribed in the hours given by the company. Goodwill has long gone.

I agree 100%. The more people who just simply work their contracted hours, take their breaks and go home, the bigger the message that will get across to Managers/Senior Management that things need to change and that the workload now, let alone at Christmas time can barely, if not at all be completed within contracted hours. How about instead of occasional overtime, we get more contracted hours? It's that simple!

The more people continue to work for free as in coming in way before their actual start time, not taking a PAID for break and letting Management emotionally blackmail them into doing overtime (which is completely voluntary for those who don't know), the heavier the workload. Oh, and to top things off: Management get a lovely little end of year bonus for saving hours at the expense of us exhausting ourselves.

So PLEASE people, for the sake of changing things for the better in this company:

Why not give us 35 hour SWW but give it to everyone, so we all work the same hours. No part time/full time split and probably saves a lot of overtime.

Massive Xmas Failure.

22 Sep 2020, 16:55

yubin282 wrote:
edward918 wrote:

Why not give us 35 hour SWW but give it to everyone, so we all work the same hours. No part time/full time split and probably saves a lot of overtime.

I always wonder this myself. Not great at maths so not sure how it would all add up but surely everyone on 35 hours would be much easier for managers to get all the work covered. Most us part timers work pretty much full time anyway. Would cut down on the little overtime deals people get like being paid 3 hours for 1 hours work etc.

Massive Xmas Failure.

22 Sep 2020, 17:08

yubin282 wrote:
edward918 wrote:Why not give us 35 hour SWW but give it to everyone, so we all work the same hours. No part time/full time split and probably saves a lot of overtime.

It’s because they have been getting away with not paying part timers correct holiday pay for years, now they are getting rumbled for that the current system doesn’t look like making much sense anymore. Haven’t even heard if they are marking people upto full time for Xmas this year up here. I don’t think they will be getting any extra out of people if they don’t.

Massive Xmas Failure.

22 Sep 2020, 17:44

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
yubin282 wrote:
edward918 wrote:Why not give us 35 hour SWW but give it to everyone, so we all work the same hours. No part time/full time split and probably saves a lot of overtime.

It’s because they have been getting away with not paying part timers correct holiday pay for years, now they are getting rumbled for that the current system doesn’t look like making much sense anymore. Haven’t even heard if they are marking people upto full time for Xmas this year up here. I don’t think they will be getting any extra out of people if they don’t.

ive always though the CWU should pushing for it

Massive Xmas Failure.

22 Sep 2020, 17:47

yubin282 wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
yubin282 wrote:

They should be but I think over the years the Cwu have shown they don’t give a damn about the part timers. One of the reasons after 10 years I cancelled my membership last week.

Massive Xmas Failure.

22 Sep 2020, 19:20

HTPostman wrote:I’m another massively in favour of not going back to van share. I can do the round how I want, take my break when I want, go at my own speed. One of the biggest things for me is loading the van exactly how I want to. Pre Covid I knew 25 park and loops, so I had to get used to each colleagues way of doing it...some people load from the back, some from the drivers side, some from the passengers side. Some put your bags with theirs, others separate them, then others just dump them and don’t label them so you spend 5 mins every loop finding the right bag. Then you have those who don’t put anything bigger than a magazine in the bundle so you’re constantly routing around in the pouch for tiny parcels. Not to mention some turn for packets, some don’t. Like I say, each to their own but I prefer to be on my own doing it my way where I know where everything is and never miss packets.

No such thing as seniority ladder - illegal

Massive Xmas Failure.

22 Sep 2020, 19:29

bunji wrote:

No such thing as seniority ladder - illegal

I’ll put it another way, I have very little seniority so IF Royal Mail at some point cut jobs on a last in first out basis I’m right in the firing line.

Massive Xmas Failure.

22 Sep 2020, 19:38

toonshola wrote:
yubin282 wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
yubin282 wrote:

They should be but I think over the years the Cwu have shown they don’t give a damn about the part timers. One of the reasons after 10 years I cancelled my membership last week.

It’s a strange stance from the union, surely they realise the PT workforce is increasing and the FT numbers decreasing - all that will happen is in 10 years time there’ll be a predominately PT workforce who don’t think the union stand up for them and membership will dwindle.

As for making contracts up to 35 hours I think it’s a great idea, and I know I’m on my own here but I’d be willing to come to an agreement over the backdated holiday pay I’m owed - let’s say 50%, plus made up to full time (which I work anyway)...oh and throw some stamps in. Win win for RM as they don’t have to pay out as much, less office hours spent calculating my hours on inputting things, and I’m happy as I no longer have to faff about sorting my OT every day and get paid correctly when I’m on holiday.

Massive Xmas Failure.

22 Sep 2020, 22:38

So its looking like we will have a 2nd UK wide lockdown by this time next month.

If any of you were on postbox collections during the first lockdown you will remember how busy they were. Mine were busier ive seen in years and other people in the office stating the same. Many people sending letters to relatives and friends checking up. And also to pass the time!

I think we should prepare ourselves for a really busy Christmas on the letters, specifically cards. Im talking 1990s levels of Christmas cards. If households cannot mix then many who in recent years gave up with cards may choose to send them. Especially if they are home and bored.

Im not complaining, I think this will be a good thing. But I hope that Royal Mail may realise this and plan ahead in regard to anticipating the demand. The last thing we want is to be still delivering christmas cards in 2021!

Massive Xmas Failure.

22 Sep 2020, 23:06

Munchboii wrote:I think we should prepare ourselves for a really busy Christmas on the letters, specifically cards. Im talking 1990s levels of Christmas cards. If households cannot mix then many who in recent years gave up with cards may choose to send them. Especially if they are home and bored. !

The way things are going in the country at the moment come Xmas time it will be only the rich who can afford the price of a stamp.

Massive Xmas Failure.

22 Sep 2020, 23:09

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
Munchboii wrote:I think we should prepare ourselves for a really busy Christmas on the letters, specifically cards. Im talking 1990s levels of Christmas cards. If households cannot mix then many who in recent years gave up with cards may choose to send them. Especially if they are home and bored. !

The way things are going in the country at the moment come Xmas time it will be only the rich who can afford the price of a stamp.

And Bog Roll

Massive Xmas Failure.

23 Sep 2020, 07:28

Munchboii wrote:I think we should prepare ourselves for a really busy Christmas on the letters, specifically cards. Im talking 1990s levels of Christmas cards. If households cannot mix then many who in recent years gave up with cards may choose to send them. Especially if they are home and bored.

If Xmas cards do end up being that busy then DOs better hope that both MCs and MPUs are allowed to roll over into the next any any cards they don't have the capacity to sequence (or at least walk sort)

Massive Xmas Failure.

23 Sep 2020, 12:59

Even i think its going to end up in a s**t show..

Massive Xmas Failure.

23 Sep 2020, 15:06

SpacePhoenix wrote: DOs better hope that both MCs and MPUs are allowed to roll over into the next any any cards they don't have the capacity to sequence.

Roll over into the next what?
Year?
Xmas?
Decade?

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 3   1, 2, 3