not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

A *proper* rural

17 Sep 2020, 22:39

Scotland - Large Business park, two smallish "normal" loops and around 80 houses in varying distance from the civilization but only about 5 in real sticks. Nice views but thankfully I only cover it occasionally. Always think that I spend 30 minutes fastening and another 30 minutes un-fastening the seat belt. :arrrghhh

Prefer "normal" rounds but seems like most of folk here dream of a rural round.

Guess we are all different,

A *proper* rural

18 Sep 2020, 05:55

Pope Marmalade lll wrote:There's a rural duty in our office with a house on it which only has access across a stretch of beach. You can only get to the house when the tide is out.

We've got a couple of rurals the same.

I don't mind taking my shoes off and going for a paddle if it's a boiling hot summer day but on the not so hot days the mail just has to wait!

Not so long a ago a newish guy brought some mail back from one of the beach access houses and endorsed it as undeliverable because ''the beach was flooded''... I don't think he understands the concept of tides!

A *proper* rural

18 Sep 2020, 06:05

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Pope Marmalade lll wrote:There's a rural duty in our office with a house on it which only has access across a stretch of beach. You can only get to the house when the tide is out.

Must be a right PITA if you get there when it's high tide

That's what we call "no access".
Once you get into the really deep rural territory in the North of Scotland it really is Postman Pat territory, a lot of the houses up there are holiday lets and don't get any deliveries so you might have 200 calls officially on your delivery but you'll be lucky if you hit 30-40 in a day. It's mostly outdoor work though and very much a 9-5 or even later because you're not getting your mail at 6am up there.

I've spoken to a couple of them up there and they seem quite oblivious to the nonsense going on in the business, very little interaction with management so no reason to complain. Van reliability seems to be the biggest reason to grumble. They do drive "assertively" if I'm honest, even the locals give way to the postie on a single track road.

A *proper* rural

18 Sep 2020, 06:55

Woody Guthrie wrote:Once you get into the really deep rural territory in the North of Scotland it really is Postman Pat territory, a lot of the houses up there are holiday lets and don't get any deliveries so you might have 200 calls officially on your delivery but you'll be lucky if you hit 30-40 in a day. It's mostly outdoor work though and very much a 9-5 or even later because you're not getting your mail at 6am up there.

I've spoken to a couple of them up there and they seem quite oblivious to the nonsense going on in the business, very little interaction with management so no reason to complain. Van reliability seems to be the biggest reason to grumble. They do drive "assertively" if I'm honest, even the locals give way to the postie on a single track road.

They must have 4x4 vans up there for all the walks

A *proper* rural

18 Sep 2020, 07:07

No.
In some areas they have access to 4x4 vehicles if and when required but for the most part they're driving the same sheds we are.
It's rural, it's not the Western Sahara.

A *proper* rural

18 Sep 2020, 08:21

Woody Guthrie wrote:

No.
In some areas they have access to 4x4 vehicles if and when required but for the most part they're driving the same sheds we are.
It's rural, it's not the Western Sahara.

A rally car would be more suitable for some posties driving.

A *proper* rural

18 Sep 2020, 10:19

I think they use the Peugeot Partner "Trek" with lifted suspension on some rurals.

A *proper* rural

18 Sep 2020, 16:25

A rally car would be good for some of the lanes, tracks and drives I've been on!!

A *proper* rural

18 Sep 2020, 17:34

Used to cover a rural as a reserve,5am-6am inward sorting.load van up with firms bulks taken off other walks :Very Happy as they were all to be delivered by 9,am.return to depot, 30 minutes meal relief. Then out on delivery 47 calls mainly farms.around 20-30 daily newspapers.took around 3 hours.drive back to office 30 minutes. Piece of cake delivery in the peak district. Cracking round to cover for a week.duty holder was old boy with 30plus years service. :Very Happy .my own rural I got was around 250 calls some farms and houses but very easy to deliver and hardly. Got wet when it was pelting it down.them were the days around 1998.

A *proper* rural

20 Sep 2020, 11:15

chocolatesaltyballs wrote:I do one occasionally when they can't get it covered which is 400+ delivery points spread over 80+ miles and takes about 7hrs on an average day.
edit: hope I didn't shatter your dreams.

I don't know why it is people think rurals are easy. Yes you're you're own boss to an extent but most of ours are longer than the town walks.

A *proper* rural

20 Sep 2020, 14:56

rambo1 wrote:
chocolatesaltyballs wrote:I do one occasionally when they can't get it covered which is 400+ delivery points spread over 80+ miles and takes about 7hrs on an average day.
edit: hope I didn't shatter your dreams.

I don't know why it is people think rurals are easy. Yes you're you're own boss to an extent but most of ours are longer than the town walks.

I agree after 10 years rural floater and 8 or so on my own rural I got fed up stop start in and out van so went back to my roots and I'm on park and loop its crap but I get to do a bit of walking.

A *proper* rural

20 Sep 2020, 20:56

I find rurals more mentally tiring. Constantly having to turn round in right farm yards with dogs running by the wheels, strange delivery points (eg a 100 ft hedge with a 30cm gap that you can’t possibly see unless you’ve been shown. Plus getting in and out of the van does my back in after a while.

There’s a lot of rurals here, the most obvious one is 50 miles with 300 calls. I like it (apart from when I breakdown) but there’s little difference between a busy day and a quiet day - maybe 20 minutes in it.

I’m in a good position atm floating doing a mix of trolley rounds, park and loops (single van obviously) and rurals. It’s really helping me learn the area and I don’t get bored.

A *proper* rural

20 Sep 2020, 21:50

HTPostman wrote:strange delivery points (eg a 100 ft hedge with a 30cm gap that you can’t possibly see unless you’ve been shown.

That's probably where the LAT system will fall down in rural areas where the LAT staff won't know about things like that

A *proper* rural

21 Sep 2020, 18:35

SpacePhoenix wrote:
HTPostman wrote:strange delivery points (eg a 100 ft hedge with a 30cm gap that you can’t possibly see unless you’ve been shown.

That's probably where the LAT system will fall down in rural areas where the LAT staff won't know about things like that

Yep, it’s interesting the next day seeing the LAT parcels that are returned because the LAT driver couldn’t find them.

It’s always the same - either names houses with no names on them (or if there is a house name it’s faded in the sun or covered by a bush). Or addresses where you leave the post in a crate or open the kitchen door etc.

You’d think after one ‘inaccessible’ parcel buyers would make it a bit easier for both RM and other couriers by getting a sign.

A *proper* rural

23 Sep 2020, 16:08

It's funny but even when I first started all the time I delivered to out of the way no name cottages in the middle of nowhere I always thought to myself theres no way this pays ie making money from delivering to them.the wear n tare the fuel cost for a private business it's a no go.

A *proper* rural

25 Sep 2020, 23:16

I do a rural round near Oban. Has 275 stops and covers around 50 miles. Usually takes around 6 hours away from DO. I think it's a great round but have had a couple of breakdowns which isn't much fun. Lots of great views but don't have time to appreciate them most days

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2