not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Why is van sharing banned?

15 Sep 2020, 18:15

I'm going to be a pedant here and say that the thread title ("Why is van sharing banned?") is not accurate.

Van sharing is currently suspended, not banned.

:Very Happy Carry on...

15 Sep 2020, 19:19

PostmanBitesDog wrote:I'm going to be a pedant here and say that the thread title ("Why is van sharing banned?") is not accurate.

Van sharing is currently suspended, not banned.

:Very Happy Carry on...

I knew it! :Very Happy

15 Sep 2020, 19:37

2yearpostie wrote:
eastie wrote:All the time Muppets are using their own cars management aren't worried

Maybe the 'muppets' have kids to fetch and look after school and they dont want to be harassed into working afternoons so thats why they use their cars.

Well get your union rep onto it
People with childcare issues get mornings in our office

Why is van sharing suspended?!

15 Sep 2020, 19:50

Why on earth does anyone want to share a van?

Especially with the second spike of Covid well underway?

15 Sep 2020, 19:58

Still can’t see why people are still crying for van share back. It’s the worst part of the job, much rather work on my own that’s why I became a postie in the first place. No doubt I feel like I’ve done way more work than usual being the driver but I would rather that than be paired with somebody. Much more enjoyable job left to your own devices I think.

16 Sep 2020, 18:24

It's not coming back anytime soon because it suits Royal Mail to be failing loads of walks at the moment. They want shot of the USO and have the perfect excuse with COVID.

16 Sep 2020, 19:25

We go through the same subjects time and time again.

Yes you can do many things, but clearly the powers that be have decided that it isn't worth the risk currently. Our office us coping comfortably with staff using trolleys, their cars or afternoons. While we can work alone, I guess there's little point in changing. When the nights start drawing in will be the issue.

16 Sep 2020, 19:33

can get in a taxi with strangers,

But nobody can instruct you to.
can get on the bus with strangers

You can even go and sit in bars, pubs and restaurants with strangers.

But we can't jump in a van

Because that would be an instruction.

16 Sep 2020, 19:35

How can royal mail be happy with it my DO only 28 of 66 duties go out its in total chaos manager offering 9 hours for a day off lol to get things clear.. Why would you use a private vehicle my DO is short of vans imagine iff all the non drivers said I'm not using my own car.. Imagine if non drivers refused to get in a taxi.. The place is crumbling

16 Sep 2020, 20:10

No new posties too cover because of covid.

16 Sep 2020, 21:24

Woody Guthrie wrote:

So the powers that be are instructing us not to van share with a mask with people that you've spent 3 hours around (without a mask) because the risk is higher than it is sitting being someone on say, a bus (with a mask)(That you might have to use to get to work)

Figures lol :crazy:

16 Sep 2020, 21:48

I dare say the risk is massively higher sharing a confined van cabin for lengthy periods than a bus.

Exchanging exhaled droplets in, what, 2 cubic metres of air? Lovely.

16 Sep 2020, 22:22

So the powers that be are instructing us not to van share with a mask with people that you've spent 3 hours around (without a mask) because the risk is higher than it is sitting being someone on say, a bus (with a mask)(That you might have to use to get to work)

No it's bugger all to do with risk level, nobody at Royal Mail is qualified to make a risk level judgement.

It's because in order to resume van sharing they would have to instruct us to van share and that means the danger and any legal consequences would be their responsibility.

Why is this so difficult to understand?

16 Sep 2020, 22:24

sindba wrote:I dare say the risk is massively higher sharing a confined van cabin for lengthy periods than a bus.

It wouldn't be lengthy periods of time as driving to the next loop drop off point might only be a couple of minutes driving time if that.

16 Sep 2020, 22:29

Woody Guthrie wrote:

No it's bugger all to do with risk level, nobody at Royal Mail is qualified to make a risk level judgement.

It's because in order to resume van sharing they would have to instruct us to van share and that means the danger and any legal consequences would be their responsibility.

People are ignorant and can't tell the different between what they want and what is happening. You made it quite clear. It would be my choice to step onto a bus and accept the level of risk. It would not be my choice to van share. To refuse could then also jeopardise my position and livelihood. To accept would jeopardise my and my families health. RM would be the ones placing me in that untenable position. RM aren't willing to expose themselves to that level of litigation.

16 Sep 2020, 22:34

I could have swore I read somewhere on RMC that the CWU were actively trying to keep shared van duties within the business once the Covid situation is solved. Our union rep told us the other day though that the union is trying to get rid of them. We have previously heard from higher management in our area that RM want to get rid of shared van duties as well.

This can only lead to a policy of permanent multiple daily shifts in DOs with the later starting shifts partially working in the dark during part of the year. I don't think most posties will want this and it could prove to be more unpopular than shared van duties.

16 Sep 2020, 23:36

Celgar wrote:
sindba wrote:I dare say the risk is massively higher sharing a confined van cabin for lengthy periods than a bus.

It wouldn't be lengthy periods of time as driving to the next loop drop off point might only be a couple of minutes driving time if that.

And the duties that are more than a 10 minute drive from the office?

17 Sep 2020, 11:09

Celgar wrote:

Shared van partnership in our office (before covid) were sat beside each other in the vehicle for a minimum of 40 mins each day - that's well above the 15 mins scientists reckon is ample time to contract the virus.

17 Sep 2020, 21:08

Woody Guthrie wrote:

Sorry, just thinking outside the box making comparisons. I'll stop now :arrrghhh

21 Sep 2020, 21:03

Pathfinder wrote:
Woody Guthrie wrote:

Figures lol :crazy:

Exactly this

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 3   1, 2, 3