not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

What’s the proper way to report dogs in a walk?

09 Sep 2020, 17:24

Hi all, I’m a postman in need of some advice.

I’m a part-timer and I’ve been put on a walk where there are many aggressive dogs. I’ve already had to bring mail back due to aggressive dogs that were loose but nothing was written down.

On top of that, I’m stuck on afternoon shifts since van share ended – DOM told me I should look for another job if I can’t work afternoons and my contract doesn’t specify any hours of work. Which means that I’ll soon be delivering this walk in the dark, and it really isn't a safe walk to do in the dark.

Found a “hazard card” for this walk, but it only mentions less than one-fourth of the dogs in it.

Would it help if I report all the dogs in the walk? If so, what’s the proper way to do it?

Thanks in advance

09 Sep 2020, 17:29

Should be in the walk log (big red folder kept on fitting) and a yellow sticker on the frame at each address with a dog. mark letters with a d on it to remind you when your out.

09 Sep 2020, 17:30

Go see the Health and Safety rep or just the rep. Our H&S rep comes round every year with a sheet upon which you update the number and types of dogs on your walk.

10 Sep 2020, 16:09

2yearpostie has advised you well. If the walk log is not up to date ask for some "hazard Card(s)" from your line manager or Coach ...and fill one in for each individual address where you encounter an aggressive or intimidating dog ! Hand these to your line manager or manager ( or perhaps better still ...give to your CWU Rep...and ask him or her to pass on to those with a duty of care in the unit )
I usually amend or append the walk log myself. Simply add a "hand written" comment (in pen) stating " Dangerous Dog hazard" at such and such address...and the Walk Log should be updated next time around ! This will also highlight the Hazard to any of your colleagues who have the time ( or take the time) to read the Walk Log before going out !

If prepping a frame for someone mark any letter with a "D" where there's a YELLOW sticker.

13 Sep 2020, 09:38

We are not currently required to deliver in the dark. You should get your duty time for delivery amended to not go past 1600 which is when it will be dark during the winter.

13 Sep 2020, 14:41

Celgar wrote:We are not currently required to deliver in the dark. You should get your duty time for delivery amended to not go past 1600 which is when it will be dark during the winter.

Are you sure - all past 1600......

Current vacancies on RM website:

Postperson with Driving - Rochdale Delivery Office (OL16 5QX) - Hours: 26:00 hours per week, between 12:00 and 19:00, 5 days per week (Monday – Saturday)

Postperson with Driving - Barnsley Delivery Office (S70 1AA) - Hours: 30:00 hours, between 08:30 and 16:30 , 6 days per week Monday – Saturday, 5 weeks on, 6th week off.

Postperson with Driving - Newark Delivery Office (NG24 4XE) - Hours: 25:00 hours, between 08:30 and 18:30 , 5 days per week (Monday – Saturday)

Postperson with Driving - Northampton Crow Lane Delivery Office (NN3 9UB) - Hours: 25:00 hours, between 08:00 and 20:00 , 5 days per week (Monday – Saturday)

Postperson with Driving - Kettering Delivery Office (NN16 8AA) - Hours: 25 hours per week, working various shifts between 08:00 and 20:00, 5 days per week (Monday – Saturday).

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1