not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 20:37

For the job that we do I would say that we are "reasonably" well paid. It might not be rocket science but we don't half get through a lot work these days as duties seem to get ever bigger, packets have gone through the roof, mail has once again started to pick up as expected, we are now expected to do collections on delivery and once we get rid of these overpaid and underworked senior managers with fancy titles that don't directly contribute to our bottom line. Well then its not unreasonable to expect a decent pay rise with the savings made.

But we know that is not what the business has in mind. They want to give us "the little people" as little as possible whilst they make as much profit as they can through cost cutting.

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 21:00

HTPostman wrote:Good topic.

I like to think I’ve done some crap jobs - construction (backbreaking and dangerous), customer complaints in a call centre, even a stint as a glass collector in a rough pub having to wipe up people’s sick etc.

This isn’t one of the crap jobs, not in my eyes anyway. My average hours last year were 7 while 4 and I earned £27k for being outdoors delivering stuff. I’ve mates I went to uni with who design kitchens and work in marketing who are stressed as anything, have to take work home, frequently stay in the office till gone 6, are expected to do unpaid overtime at busy project times AND earned less than me.

I think it helps that I worked for RM, left to do other jobs then came back. I like to think I have a bit more of a balanced view than an old boy who started in the 1970s and says the job is dreadful but has never done a different job.

I was told my good feeling would pass once the honeymoon is over, I’ve been here 2 years now and still enjoy it, I never wake up dreading going in.

For what it is, it's not badly paid. It is however very physical and maybe when you've done 20 yrs instead of 2 ,you may get a grasp of just how physical it is and totally unsustainable for anyone starting out now. I dare say very few will make it 40 yrs in this job now.

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 21:08

A lot of posties think the job is that well paid that they're willing to give £2k back to royal mail by coming in 10 mins early and working through their break because 'they haven't got time otherwise' . It beggers belief. :hmmmm

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 22:08

At ours the part timers work their full 25 hrs and do absorption for free and come in early whilst the full timers get paid for 38 hours but only do 5 hours a day so they think the full-time pay is good for doing part time hours.....the part timers not so much.....as for the firm/support drivers in ours they work even less than the full timers but collect two duties in a day so get paid 14:5 hours a day and only work 6 they think its really pays well as a £50k postman..... seniority pays handsomely not so much for the new starters/part timers but hey if I'm alright jack stuff them.....see you tomorrow in the lions pit some of you may be in for a shock soon!

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 22:18

andyman606 wrote:At ours the part timers work their full 25 hrs and do absorption for free and come in early whilst the full timers get paid for 38 hours but only do 5 hours a day so they think the full-time pay is good for doing part time hours.....the part timers not so much.....as for the firm/support drivers in ours they work even less than the full timers but collect two duties in a day so get paid 14:5 hours a day and only work 6 they think its really pays well as a £50k postman..... seniority pays handsomely not so much for the new starters/part timers but hey if I'm alright jack stuff them.....see you tomorrow in the lions pit some of you may be in for a shock soon!

How do full timers only do 5 hrs a day? What do the managers in your place actually do if they get back early?? Sounds to me like the mangers are on the best pay to doing f all ratio.

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 22:38

The managers leave at 10:30 after everyone goes out so they do 4:30 hours a day now that is another well paid job and next day they give the part timers s**t if they don't do their absorption at 3pm.
I believe there may be some savings to be made at our office but don't hold your breath I believe this has been going on for 15 years!!! Its a goodnight from me and a goodnight from Casper the ghosters!

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 22:46

Simple way to answer this question.

Ask yourself if your job makes you financially comfortable. If Yes, it's well paid. If No, it's not.

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 23:08

rambo1 wrote:
HTPostman wrote:Good topic.

I like to think I’ve done some crap jobs - construction (backbreaking and dangerous), customer complaints in a call centre, even a stint as a glass collector in a rough pub having to wipe up people’s sick etc.

This isn’t one of the crap jobs, not in my eyes anyway. My average hours last year were 7 while 4 and I earned £27k for being outdoors delivering stuff. I’ve mates I went to uni with who design kitchens and work in marketing who are stressed as anything, have to take work home, frequently stay in the office till gone 6, are expected to do unpaid overtime at busy project times AND earned less than me.

I think it helps that I worked for RM, left to do other jobs then came back. I like to think I have a bit more of a balanced view than an old boy who started in the 1970s and says the job is dreadful but has never done a different job.

I was told my good feeling would pass once the honeymoon is over, I’ve been here 2 years now and still enjoy it, I never wake up dreading going in.

For what it is, it's not badly paid. It is however very physical and maybe when you've done 20 yrs instead of 2 ,you may get a grasp of just how physical it is and totally unsustainable for anyone starting out now. I dare say very few will make it 40 yrs in this job now.

Very true, although including the time I did before, I’ve now done a total of 5 years at RM. Nothing to write home about but enough to give me a good idea of the physical side of it.

Well paid yes or no?

07 Sep 2020, 23:16

mags999 wrote:you must of done 10 or more hours over time a week to get 27 grand that takes some doin on delivery

I’m on a 25 hour contract, over the last year I’ve averaged 44 hours (19 hours OT a week). Including Covid/Xmas bonus and the claim I put in for holiday pay that’s £27k.

I usually work my day off and most days I’m happy to do OT. My only rules are I don’t work for free so no starting before my time, I don’t work Sunday (I have been asked a few times) and I don’t work my holidays, I think it’s a disgrace some people do and management let them but each to their own.

Well paid yes or no?

08 Sep 2020, 07:53

How can you do 19 hours overtime & we are not allowed to book any, change might be coming for you, back to basic pay.

Well paid yes or no?

08 Sep 2020, 09:18

Why you wish him that?

He`s on 25 hours contract, 14 hours OT /week take him up to full pay, why do you see it as a big deal?

Well paid yes or no?

08 Sep 2020, 09:32

derekm wrote:The pay is ok similar to my last job but the option of working outside and the finishing times swayed me too it, but the toll it’s taking on my body these days makes me think differently

I agree With you thirty years ago I thought the same now my knees are shot and will need a hip replacement in the next couple of years .so the pay is poor for the wear and tear on your health and don’t expect any sympathy from management when your health is f****d

Well paid yes or no?

08 Sep 2020, 09:35

grchpo wrote:How can you do 19 hours overtime & we are not allowed to book any, change might be coming for you, back to basic pay.

Probably just coming in for prep which will take them to full hours then it's only an hour on the end Monday to Friday

Well paid yes or no?

08 Sep 2020, 10:05

sindba wrote:Simple way to answer this question.

Ask yourself if your job makes you financially comfortable. If Yes, it's well paid. If No, it's not.

Too simplistic. So much depends on people's personal circumstances, namely family life, where they live, what sort of home they choose to live in etc. A postie who's single and lives in a council flat in the dog-end of Glasgow is going to be more "financially comfortable" than a divorced father of two who lives and works in Guildford.

Well paid yes or no?

08 Sep 2020, 14:20

HTPostman wrote:
mags999 wrote:you must of done 10 or more hours over time a week to get 27 grand that takes some doin on delivery

I’m on a 25 hour contract, over the last year I’ve averaged 44 hours (19 hours OT a week). Including Covid/Xmas bonus and the claim I put in for holiday pay that’s £27k.

I usually work my day off and most days I’m happy to do OT. My only rules are I don’t work for free so no starting before my time, I don’t work Sunday (I have been asked a few times) and I don’t work my holidays, I think it’s a disgrace some people do and management let them but each to their own.

Same here, I am on a 25 hour contract and last year i earned £26k after pension deductions. Work 6 days a week and claim FT most days with some extra delivery. OT always available, i could have got more.

Well paid yes or no?

08 Sep 2020, 15:01

I'm part time London based and over 60 years old, with overtime earned £33K + last year and this year I am on target to earn £35k+. None of the younger PT people i work with want extra hours, they would prefer to doze on the sofa or play a computer game in the afternoon. The majority of staff want minimal extra work or easy work only, hence the opportunity for OT in my office. You can work the callers office or collections if more walking is a struggle.I took the job a few years ago to get some exercise rather than go to a gym and struggled at first but have got used to the pace.
Lucky the management are OK and pay for all the work done without fuss so I think the pay is OK.
Regards working annual leave, it has to be taken in our office, no one works it.

Well paid yes or no?

08 Sep 2020, 16:17

pex wrote:I'm part time London based and over 60 years old, with overtime earned £33K + last year and this year I am on target to earn £35k+. None of the younger PT people i work with want extra hours, they would prefer to doze on the sofa or play a computer game in the afternoon. The majority of staff want minimal extra work or easy work only, hence the opportunity for OT in my office. You can work the callers office or collections if more walking is a struggle.I took the job a few years ago to get some exercise rather than go to a gym and struggled at first but have got used to the pace.
Lucky the management are OK and pay for all the work done without fuss so I think the pay is OK.
Regards working annual leave, it has to be taken in our office, no one works it.

I can confirm. Adding greater London weighting and with a bit of overtime 31k-32k is very realistic. OT availability varies across offices and are subject to DOM generosity often. I am FT and I pick up some OT if available some days instead of watching netflix and this financial year so far I made 13.7k gross.

However given how expensive properties are in London and ever increasing day to day expenses I do not think this is very well paid job. We should rather class lower paid jobs as some sort of handout really. £12 ph in London is not the same as £12 ph in North West England. If our partners do not provide similar level of income or higher getting on a porperty ladder will be very difficult.Younger generation will never be in similar financial position our older colleague are. For many of us in London renting is the only option for many years and unfortunately RM does not really offer full time vacancies anymore so a transfer to a cheaper area although possible will almost certainly result in losing full time hours. Depending heavily on Overtime to top up hours can be very risky in medium to long term.

Well paid yes or no?

08 Sep 2020, 16:45

grchpo wrote:How can you do 19 hours overtime & we are not allowed to book any, change might be coming for you, back to basic pay.

Oh I’ve no doubt changes are coming. That’s why I made a plan, and I’m sticking to it. In short if for my remaining 10 years at RM I only do my contracted 25 hours I’ll be fine.

But in the meantime I’ll take what’s on offer.

Every office is different- in 2019 I was asked to work 45 of my 46 days off. 40% of the hours in my office have to be done through overtime.

Sorry if you resent me for it but if it’s available then I’m not turning it down while I’m young, fit and healthy. As before I start on time, don’t do ghost OT, take my breaks, don’t rush round.

Well paid yes or no?

08 Sep 2020, 16:49

Tinoblade wrote:

Probably just coming in for prep which will take them to full hours then it's only an hour on the end Monday to Friday

That’s right. I’m made up to full time hours for prep, I work most days off and I’m always available to do extra at the end be it tracked parcels or (pre Covid) where someone has cut off.

Well paid yes or no?

08 Sep 2020, 16:53

Janet Brum wrote:Why you wish him that?

He`s on 25 hours contract, 14 hours OT /week take him up to full pay, why do you see it as a big deal?

I’m getting on average 5 hours a week extra than FT, purely because I work most days off, am always available to do extra and I have this mad system whereby I only ask to be paid OT for the work I do - if I do 2 hours OT I ask for 2 hours. Some of the ‘former’ OT kings despise me for it as they were used to doing 2 hours but demanding 4 etc. I just see it as doing the work I’m paid for and nothing more. Take my breaks, don’t come in early, don’t rush round.

As I said to the guy above, 40% of our office hours have to be done on OT. While it’s available I’ll take it.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4