not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Van Sharing

19 Sep 2020, 20:13

Not enough parking for a van each?.

Van Sharing

19 Sep 2020, 20:19

Rommagic wrote:Not enough parking for a van each?.

Not enough money for a van each unless you could do twice as much and more?

Van Sharing

19 Sep 2020, 20:28

Bring back van retention then.

Van Sharing

19 Sep 2020, 20:33

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:

Bring back van retention then.

How will that work unless you do two peoples job's each and every day not just overtime when it suits you sir?

Van Sharing

20 Sep 2020, 08:55

Cucumber wrote:
Sugar wrote:
Villadaft wrote:Just been told its being trialled in Yorkshire next week, hope it fails, Hate van share

I heard same yesterday. It's allegedly signing of a waiver so you can go back to two in a van. Don't know the details of the waiver, suspect it's along the same lines as using your own car, blah blah blah, but I will contact the person who told me and find out more when I can.

All I can say is if they do it they want their heads checking, irresponsible and yet again making life easier for RM. Bad enough people being daft enough to use their own cars but this just beggars belief. RM managers etc are paid large salaries to be able to sort out whatever life throws at the job, if they can't do it without putting peoples health at risk then sack the lot of them and get in people who can.

Will these people that choose to share vans (if true) be kept away from the rest of the staff?

I am surprised that they've not enforced wearing masks during all indoor prep work so going back to van share and making mask wearing mandatory is no stretch of the imagination. Refuse collectors and driving instructors are two that spring to mind that are in close quarters with others in a vehicle. Driving instructors and the learner both wear masks.

toonshola wrote:This would bring up a host of problems. We all know managers and colleagues will be leaning on staff to sign this waiver who may not be comfortable with it. Completely unsafe and unfair. I won’t be signing anything just to make things a bit more convenient and cheap for this company, health comes first.

My old office have people van sharing who shouldn't be from what I've been told and the managers were doing sweet FA about it.

[quote="Cucumber"And the cherry on top of the cake, let's throw out a rumour (or don't deny the rumours) that van share will be trialled again - so the answer to the problem is to put health and safety second?[/quote]

From what I was told it's been circulating for a few days about van share but apparently nothing from the managers so when I find out more I'll post up. They are expecting an announcement so we'll see. BTW it's a weak office so ripe for this type of bull to be pushed through and "trialled".

You would think that 6 months in and a company of this size would have had a clear cut plan and strategy by now to deal with the current issues and have put that out to staff in a clear concise manner after consulting with said staff on ideas to best move forward in their offices and areas. :cuppa

Van Sharing

20 Sep 2020, 09:26

Sugar wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
Sugar wrote:
Villadaft wrote:Just been told its being trialled in Yorkshire next week, hope it fails, Hate van share

I heard same yesterday. It's allegedly signing of a waiver so you can go back to two in a van. Don't know the details of the waiver, suspect it's along the same lines as using your own car, blah blah blah, but I will contact the person who told me and find out more when I can.

All I can say is if they do it they want their heads checking, irresponsible and yet again making life easier for RM. Bad enough people being daft enough to use their own cars but this just beggars belief. RM managers etc are paid large salaries to be able to sort out whatever life throws at the job, if they can't do it without putting peoples health at risk then sack the lot of them and get in people who can.

Will these people that choose to share vans (if true) be kept away from the rest of the staff?

I am surprised that they've not enforced wearing masks during all indoor prep work so going back to van share and making mask wearing mandatory is no stretch of the imagination. Refuse collectors and driving instructors are two that spring to mind that are in close quarters with others in a vehicle. Driving instructors and the learner both wear masks.

toonshola wrote:This would bring up a host of problems. We all know managers and colleagues will be leaning on staff to sign this waiver who may not be comfortable with it. Completely unsafe and unfair. I won’t be signing anything just to make things a bit more convenient and cheap for this company, health comes first.

My old office have people van sharing who shouldn't be from what I've been told and the managers were doing sweet FA about it.

[quote="Cucumber"And the cherry on top of the cake, let's throw out a rumour (or don't deny the rumours) that van share will be trialled again - so the answer to the problem is to put health and safety second?

From what I was told it's been circulating for a few days about van share but apparently nothing from the managers so when I find out more I'll post up. They are expecting an announcement so we'll see. BTW it's a weak office so ripe for this type of bull to be pushed through and "trialled".

You would think that 6 months in and a company of this size would have had a clear cut plan and strategy by now to deal with the current issues and have put that out to staff in a clear concise manner after consulting with said staff on ideas to best move forward in their offices and areas. :cuppa[/quote]

That's been the main issue through this - no plan.
No plan except wing it.
You are right though that there won't be a one size fits all solution and they need to look into that instead of kicking the can down the road, even further. I've no doubt that there will be offices that are so close to the area that they deliver to that the vast majority of duties technically can be walked to in about 15 minutes - that combined with a reasonable sized fleet would make them far well equipped to deal with this . On the flip side of that, there will be offices that are several miles away from where they deliver and the move to single van, without any extra assistance has crippled them.
The mere suggestion that RM are looking to return to van share, insinuates that the last 6 months struggles have been for nothing - especially when you see the huge rise in virus transmission.

Van Sharing

20 Sep 2020, 10:17

Cucumber wrote:That's been the main issue through this - no plan.
No plan except wing it.
You are right though that there won't be a one size fits all solution and they need to look into that instead of kicking the can down the road, even further. I've no doubt that there will be offices that are so close to the area that they deliver to that the vast majority of duties technically can be walked to in about 15 minutes - that combined with a reasonable sized fleet would make them far well equipped to deal with this . On the flip side of that, there will be offices that are several miles away from where they deliver and the move to single van, without any extra assistance has crippled them.
The mere suggestion that RM are looking to return to van share, insinuates that the last 6 months struggles have been for nothing - especially when you see the huge rise in virus transmission.

As soon as I read that I instantly thought back to the good old days of just jumping on a bus to get out to your starting point. A simple solution to a number of problems faced by DO's. Granted there will be those that would reject it right off the bat and scream blue murder but if the company supplied face masks and decent hand sanitizer for those using public transport then the risks are reduced. A driver supplies the walker or walkers with replacement pouches and picks up any notice lefts so they are not weighed down with them like we used to be back in the day.

Van share has been nothing but a disaster since day 1 and this has underlined that good and proper. Should never have removed pouch boxes and a lot of the issues all of you are now dealing with wouldn't have been an issue in the first instance.

Van Sharing

20 Sep 2020, 10:35

Sugar wrote:
Cucumber wrote:That's been the main issue through this - no plan.
No plan except wing it.

As soon as I read that I instantly thought back to the good old days of just jumping on a bus to get out to your starting point. A simple solution to a number of problems faced by DO's. Granted there will be those that would reject it right off the bat and scream blue murder but if the company supplied face masks and decent hand sanitizer for those using public transport then the risks are reduced. A driver supplies the walker or walkers with replacement pouches and picks up any notice lefts so they are not weighed down with them like we used to be back in the day.

Van share has been nothing but a disaster since day 1 and this has underlined that good and proper. Should never have removed pouch boxes and a lot of the issues all of you are now dealing with wouldn't have been an issue in the first instance.

Having to heavily rely on another company to ferry your people about is in no way a long term solution. We've had buses refuse any more passengers as they were full and then 1/4 of a walk fails. Not to mention the amount of office relocations that still seem to be going ahead moving them to an area that without some creative thinking will mean failures galore.

Van Sharing

20 Sep 2020, 10:47

Cucumber wrote:Having to heavily rely on another company to ferry your people about is in no way a long term solution. We've had buses refuse any more passengers as they were full and then 1/4 of a walk fails. Not to mention the amount of office relocations that still seem to be going ahead moving them to an area that without some creative thinking will mean failures galore.

There's probably a good few DOs that are located a long way from the nearest bus route or the buses might not go anywhere near the area covered by the DO

Van Sharing

20 Sep 2020, 11:02

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Cucumber wrote:Having to heavily rely on another company to ferry your people about is in no way a long term solution. We've had buses refuse any more passengers as they were full and then 1/4 of a walk fails. Not to mention the amount of office relocations that still seem to be going ahead moving them to an area that without some creative thinking will mean failures galore.

There's probably a good few DOs that are located a long way from the nearest bus route or the buses might not go anywhere near the area covered by the DO

There are. 100%. Single vans (which I totally agree with on safety grounds) has crippled them.

Van Sharing

21 Sep 2020, 08:47

Good point, that one issue had passed me by.

A possible alternative way around that would have been the old "people" vans they used to have and were going to use for the failed Star Burst proposal a decade or more back. Obviously masks would be mandatory and frequent cleaning down of handles etc. Driver buses X amount of people out with first bags and then they work from their usual van with regular partner till finish then ring office to be bused back in.

As you say its going to take some creative thinking and you can see why they bypassed that and just went for the "you can use your own vehicle" to save on brain capacity and additional finances it would have required to get in all the vans they should have gotten in at the beginning of the lock-down.

6 months in and no clear strategy doesn't bode well for the future of you guys and gals.

Van Sharing

21 Sep 2020, 09:17

Sugar wrote:

Good point, that one issue had passed me by.

A possible alternative way around that would have been the old "people" vans they used to have and were going to use for the failed Star Burst proposal a decade or more back. Obviously masks would be mandatory and frequent cleaning down of handles etc. Driver buses X amount of people out with first bags and then they work from their usual van with regular partner till finish then ring office to be bused back in.

As you say its going to take some creative thinking and you can see why they bypassed that and just went for the "you can use your own vehicle" to save on brain capacity and additional finances it would have required to get in all the vans they should have gotten in at the beginning of the lock-down.

6 months in and no clear strategy doesn't bode well for the future of you guys and gals.

When you add up the money that is being spent on mileage claims, bus fares, vans going out twice a day (double mileage = double fuel costs), then add in the working time lost by walking/bussing to duties it's easy to see where the £1m losses a day are coming from. I'm no financial expert, but that can't continue.

Van Sharing

21 Sep 2020, 14:39

the losses they are making will be used as leverage when the uso is discussed with the regulator so the more they lose the better in there eyes so they can reduce letters to 4 days giving full timers who are left after vrs a 35 hour week packets and specials only the other 2 or 3 days whichever they decide :wave

Van Sharing

21 Sep 2020, 16:58

Anyone heard anything about the rumoured van share trials apparently starting this week then? Surely it’s a non starter especially with the whole country on the brink of new restrictions/lockdown.

Previous page Next page

Page 4 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4