not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

How do I approach a manager in regards to a change of duty which is bad for my shin splints.

30 Jul 2020, 19:04

In November I suffered with shin splints which are painful and will stop you doing any duty for a while. I was put on indoor work for 6 weeks until they were better. Since lockdown ive been put on a nice flat walk, average size that will enable you to finish ontime with your break etc. For the last week ive been moved to a new duty which is packet heavy, a good hour longer and loads of dead walking. One stage I have to walk 1.5 miles just to the next loop.
My partner does the driving, im a faster walker. Because we get loads of oversize (more than the average walk) im having to do more loops so he can help clear the van. We are finishing last each day and on average one hour over and now its starting to affect my shin splints again but only slightly at this stage. . We could swap roles and me do more driving but that will send us an hour and half over.

Ive got a doctors note to wear my own trainers (which do help) which ill hand in tomorrow. We have tried to argue to leave stuff with the line manager but he has none of it and im sick of even asking for help,the confrontation gets to me now. if someone went out in the morning with packets we would stand a chance of being on time.
Ive been at RM for 8yrs and this is the first time I feel as though im running myself into the ground. I can take any longer duty on the chin normally but this one is ridiculously long but its the oversized that do it. Im going to hand the doctors advise note in to the DOM but I want to also go to him with my concerns. Ive a feeling if I carry on with this duty the shin splints will return and ill be out of action for weeks which im trying to avoid. Advise on how to approach the dom.

How do I approach a manager in regards to a change of duty which is bad for my shin splints.

30 Jul 2020, 19:08

Take your rep.
If you can't complete, you can't complete.
Make sure any advice they give you is noted. If they are refusing to give you any assistance suggest you will bring it back.

30 Jul 2020, 20:01

postiewhite wrote:In November I suffered with shin splints which are painful and will stop you doing any duty for a while. I was put on indoor work for 6 weeks until they were better. Since lockdown ive been put on a nice flat walk, average size that will enable you to finish ontime with your break etc. For the last week ive been moved to a new duty which is packet heavy, a good hour longer and loads of dead walking. One stage I have to walk 1.5 miles just to the next loop.
My partner does the driving, im a faster walker. Because we get loads of oversize (more than the average walk) im having to do more loops so he can help clear the van. We are finishing last each day and on average one hour over and now its starting to affect my shin splints again but only slightly at this stage. . We could swap roles and me do more driving but that will send us an hour and half over.

Ive got a doctors note to wear my own trainers (which do help) which ill hand in tomorrow. We have tried to argue to leave stuff with the line manager but he has none of it and im sick of even asking for help,the confrontation gets to me now. if someone went out in the morning with packets we would stand a chance of being on time.
Ive been at RM for 8yrs and this is the first time I feel as though im running myself into the ground. I can take any longer duty on the chin normally but this one is ridiculously long but its the oversized that do it. Im going to hand the doctors advise note in to the DOM but I want to also go to him with my concerns. Ive a feeling if I carry on with this duty the shin splints will return and ill be out of action for weeks which im trying to avoid. Advise on how to approach the dom.

Lets hope The Doctors Advice Note recoremends more than just being allowed to wear your own trainers

31 Jul 2020, 08:03

Stop walking fast because this is known aggrevate shin splints and make sure you use a trolley .You also need to tell your line manager about your condition and that you will no longer be able to work over until it improves.

If he’s being a knob head and does not take your situation seriously then phone the helpline on the back of your wage slip and report them.

31 Jul 2020, 20:07

You should tell your manager exactly what you told us, I hope he is decent and will help you.

31 Jul 2020, 20:35

Look, line managers are known c***s and bonus chasing shithouses. Go direct to boss with rep in tow, you can always mention that it could have been less formal but for the attitude of the school sneaks further down the pecking order.
Having said all that about line managers we have two atm who are alright.

01 Aug 2020, 04:33

I found I got shin splints walking down a steep incline

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1