not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

New jobs advertised.

29 Jul 2020, 18:09

New Post jobs seem to being advertised and maybe have been for a while just hadn't noticed. Someone here had mention a freeze on recruitment.

Others have mentioned that the jobs being advertised all seem to be 'Fixed term until June 21st 2021'....

Any ideas why this is. I guess it's due to RM wanting to shake things up with the way we work - focus on parcels etc.... and they don't want new Posties on permanent contracts as they want to easily be able to get rid of staff? Although I believe it's easy for them to get rid of staff anyway - they can just give a months notice.

Anyhow..... any news as to why RM are only offering fixed term contracts?

New jobs advertised.

29 Jul 2020, 18:22

norris9 wrote:and they don't want new Posties on permanent contracts as they want to easily be able to get rid of staff?

Anyhow..... any news as to why RM are only offering fixed term contracts?

You have answered your own question there.

New jobs advertised.

29 Jul 2020, 22:35

I started off on a fixed term contract to be fair, six months I think it was. Everybody did around the time I started; it has only been the last year or two I noticed they were offering perm contracts. I got made permanent after about two months, others got theirs renewed on a monthy basis till they were made up.

New jobs advertised.

30 Jul 2020, 08:35

They need to cut costs and compete with other companies who pay less and do not offer our good terms and conditions, the virus got us lots of work but the high rate of sickness and ppe took all of it and more. What we need is full access to the market we need our hands untied, cutting costs is a must the mindset of the workforce has to change because if not the company will die and we will all lose our jobs, dont believe just because we have been around forever that we are exempt from the real world.

New jobs advertised.

30 Jul 2020, 12:52

cpsteve wrote:They need to cut costs and compete with other companies who pay less and do not offer our good terms and conditions, the virus got us lots of work but the high rate of sickness and ppe took all of it and more. What we need is full access to the market we need our hands untied, cutting costs is a must the mindset of the workforce has to change because if not the company will die and we will all lose our jobs, dont believe just because we have been around forever that we are exempt from the real world.

Why should it be a race to the bottom cpsteve? shouldn't the likes of Amazon be made to pay the levels of tax that UK companies are obliged to and do Hermes check the road worthiness of vehicles used by their sub contracting operatives and whether the correct type of business/courier insurance is in place too?

New jobs advertised.

30 Jul 2020, 16:17

Gasman11 wrote:
cpsteve wrote:They need to cut costs and compete with other companies who pay less and do not offer our good terms and conditions, the virus got us lots of work but the high rate of sickness and ppe took all of it and more. What we need is full access to the market we need our hands untied, cutting costs is a must the mindset of the workforce has to change because if not the company will die and we will all lose our jobs, dont believe just because we have been around forever that we are exempt from the real world.

Why should it be a race to the bottom cpsteve? shouldn't the likes of Amazon be made to pay the levels of tax that UK companies are obliged to and do Hermes check the road worthiness of vehicles used by their sub contracting operatives and whether the correct type of business/courier insurance is in place too?

Its not a race to the bottom we are a private company with its hands tied by the regulator we need to get more work to pay for our good terms.

New jobs advertised.

31 Jul 2020, 12:41

How does this work if you request a transfer?
I'm on a permanent contract but if I see a job in a more local DO and it's only an 11 month contract where does that leave me?

New jobs advertised.

31 Jul 2020, 15:52

You won’t be offered it or could be on a loan basis.

New jobs advertised.

31 Jul 2020, 16:40

So on that basis, as all the jobs being advertised now say fixed term (11 months) there will be no transfers anymore?
Why would anyone risk giving up a permanent contract for a temporary one?
Seems a bit odd to me.

New jobs advertised.

31 Jul 2020, 16:58

Iknockedtwice wrote:How does this work if you request a transfer?
I'm on a permanent contract but if I see a job in a more local DO and it's only an 11 month contract where does that leave me?

I have just looked into transfer and I've been told regardless of length of service, contact etc you apply for the job advertised and that is what you get. The only advantage over anyone else is your already in the business so bypass all tests, checks etc.

New jobs advertised.

01 Aug 2020, 09:15

All delivery companies need to be regulated as we are, to keep standards similar across the industry. You are signing up to a future of bogus self employment and lower terms and conditions for all. Willing to be walked all over by management as they manipulate your working life to reach the bonus level required.

New jobs advertised.

02 Aug 2020, 16:44

Re. The OPs specific question I think this has been the situation for many years although not as far back as twenty odd years ago when I joined. Usually if the new postie is able to do the job and wants to stay then its usually a case of the union rep then negotiates to keep said postie on and/or improve their terms such as moving up to full time based on whether those hours are required in the office.

Just had a pop up news on google saying that RM mail wants to employ more posties in Liverpool. Apparently its part time on five day contract and they say it will be six hours on delivery plus they want you to do all your own sorting. Do they want jam on it too ???? The mail volumes have dropped a little from Xmas every day but once we hit September and if the total lockdown starts up, or even if it doesn't, there won't be enough duty hours for these new part timers to complete. I know someone will say that isn't our responsibility but how can RM have the gall to expect this of people??

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1