not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Long term absence process

24 Jul 2020, 13:01

Hi all. I got ill 2 weeks ago and it has not resolved and looks like it may drag on for a while now whilst they do further investigations etc. At present I'm borderline whether I can work or not. Its uncomfortable but I'm not currently in pain and I'm OK walking around but vigorous exercise can be a bit iffy. I won't really know if I'm OK to work until I go in and do a days work and find out.

So far my first day off sick was Monday 13th July and the doctor has signed me off sick (Statement of fitness to work) from Monday 13th to Sunday 26th July.

If I do go back in on Monday 27th July that will be 14 days off work.

Royal mail states that the long term absence process is followed when an employee is absent from work for more than 14 days.

So if I go back in on Monday does this count as Long Term Absence? Or as it is exactly 14 days and not more then maybe it doesn't?

Also an Attendance review 1 prompt is triggered if off sick for 14 days in a 12 month period.

So will I now trigger an attendance review 1 prompt even if I have a doctors sick note and it is likely a long term issue?

Maybe being off exactly 14 days is bad. And 15 days is better if its then treated as long term and I maybe avoid an official attendance review and stage warnings etc?

Any advice useful. This is the first time working as a postie where a health problem (apart from a few days off for flu) has arisen where I'm like s**t this is probably going to affect my ability to work for a while. My manager has been reasonable so far but I don't want to get screwed over by the system and it is nice to know where I stand.

24 Jul 2020, 13:25

Going back will automatically trigger a first stage warning,best staying off till you get a diagnosis of your illness going forward,if off for a couple more weeks or months you will still get a first stage! Best of luck

25 Jul 2020, 11:09

Poppyellie69 wrote:Going back will automatically trigger a first stage warning,best staying off till you get a diagnosis of your illness going forward,if off for a couple more weeks or months you will still get a first stage! Best of luck

OK thanks Poppy I get it. So basically it doesn't matter how long I have off it will trigger a first stage warning anyway. The only thing is I want to go back to work if I can. It would be good to have work to take my mind of what it might be until I do get diagnosed. Pottering around the house isn't really helping.

But I can see if I go in Monday and then have to go off again that maybe worse for the sickness stage warning process?

25 Jul 2020, 13:30

Yes it is good to go back to work and keep your mind busy.

But if you go back and then go off again because it is too much etc.. that will be a separate sickness even thou it is the same reason.
So if you go back make sure you are fit and healthy enough. Ask your doctor or consultant for his advice and timeframe on your investigations.

26 Jul 2020, 21:51

beanmuncha wrote:Yes it is good to go back to work and keep your mind busy.

But if you go back and then go off again because it is too much etc.. that will be a separate sickness even thou it is the same reason.
So if you go back make sure you are fit and healthy enough. Ask your doctor or consultant for his advice and timeframe on your investigations.

Thanks. Good advice. Yeah I don't think I'm really in a fit state at present to do a walk so I'd probably hobble in and have to go off again. So I'm almost certainly best off waiting till the docs finish their investigations by the sound of things.

27 Jul 2020, 17:03

Seen it happen time and time again. Muggins goes back before they're really well on the promise that they'll be on light duties. From day one the screws undermine the work plan ( IF they've actually come up with one prior to you returning, normally they get you back in and cobble something together from a one size fits all template INVOLVE YOUR REP AND DOCTOR IN ANY WORK PLAN). If you don't recover enough within the time frame of the "work plan" they tell you to go back on the sick so there's you facing a 2nd stage warning.
Stay off until you're well enough to cope. Easy for me to spout advice but as I say I've seen the outcome from all sides over the years and the vast majority of people have said they'd wished they had stayed at home. Had a guy exacerbate an injury to such an extent whilst on light duties that he had to be leave. RM f****d him over and got shot of a lame duck so to speak.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1