not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Parcels only

09 Jul 2020, 18:02

clashcityrocker wrote:But it wasn't a simple solution because any changes to attendance patterns had to be voluntary.

Add to that the need to have competent sorters in and from my experience not enough has been invested over the years to ensure enough people are trained on IPS to ensure an efficient operation.

But if the USO is changed and its the new normal it won't be voluntary changes. As for having enough sorters, when I started even though I was part time I had to learn the sorting but that was because the full timers extra hours was for doing the 2nd delivery. It's different now isn't it, unless part timers do overtime IPS they don't need to know the sorting.

Parcels only

09 Jul 2020, 18:30

citypostie wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
Saturday only parcels DID work.
Most staff were finished very early on Saturday,

Clearly it didn't work then because you didn't have sufficient work on the Saturday to fill the hours you were paid for?

Simple solution to that, instead of 1 person covering 2 rounds make it 4 or how ever many to fill the hours. More people can have Saturdays off

The problems arose when through that 6 week period some staff got EVERY Saturday off, and some none - a great way to demotivate your staff. It was a shambles.

Parcels only

09 Jul 2020, 22:01

citypostie wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Cucumber wrote:

Clearly it didn't work then because you didn't have sufficient work on the Saturday to fill the hours you were paid for?

Simple solution to that, instead of 1 person covering 2 rounds make it 4 or how ever many to fill the hours. More people can have Saturdays off

Jeez! I was going over when delivering 2 rounds of parcels. The idea of doing 4 rounds.... I think I am going to feint.

Not sure if some offices only had to deliver parcels? we had to deliver small packets too. Possibly why people were finishing early in other depots?

I suppose if you have a pair of rounds which are compact, easy to park on, with no one-way system and all houses are close together with no driveways, then you are going to finish early. My round is the opposite to this.

Parcels only

09 Jul 2020, 23:35

citypostie wrote:Simple solution to that, instead of 1 person covering 2 rounds make it 4 or how ever many to fill the hours. More people can have Saturdays off

That is the solution but I would say 3 walks instead of 4, the problem is it’s more job losses though. Maybe Sunday drivers put in as well to clear the parcels that are in the system that day and to reduce the pressure on the Monday, would protect jobs as well if some were happy to do it.

Parcels only

10 Jul 2020, 05:53

Cucumber wrote:
citypostie wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Cucumber wrote:

The problems arose when through that 6 week period some staff got EVERY Saturday off, and some none - a great way to demotivate your staff. It was a shambles.

This, i worked every saturday.

Parcels only

10 Jul 2020, 07:57

clashcityrocker wrote:But it wasn't a simple solution because any changes to attendance patterns had to be voluntary.

Add to that the need to have competent sorters in and from my experience not enough has been invested over the years to ensure enough people are trained on IPS to ensure an efficient operation.

It was poorly implemented by the usual dearth of management competence and doomed from the start by the union's negative positioning.

It could possibly have worked even on a voluntary basis but the CWU had already planted the seed of non co-operation and the members then refused to show much flexibility.

Whether it was in our interests to be co-operative is a different and complex question but I have little time for clog throwing without any deeper thought process than "we don't like change".

Those that say it was a shambles are completely ignoring the fact that in many offices it was a shambles before it was implemented and still remains so.

Parcels only

10 Jul 2020, 09:06

Woody Guthrie wrote:

It was poorly implemented by the usual dearth of management competence and doomed from the start by the union's negative positioning.

It could possibly have worked even on a voluntary basis but the CWU had already planted the seed of non co-operation and the members then refused to show much flexibility.

Whether it was in our interests to be co-operative is a different and complex question but I have little time for clog throwing without any deeper thought process than "we don't like change".

Those that say it was a shambles are completely ignoring the fact that in many offices it was a shambles before it was implemented and still remains so.

I'm not ignoring those facts in the slightest.

The management/implementation of 1 person per van back in March was a shambles.
The management/implementation of parcels only Saturday was a shambles.
Coming out of that and back to the way things were means it continues to be a shambles.

for the record I've been as flexible as humanly possible during this, covering different walks from my 'own', augmenting my start/finish time to get as much productive work done in the time given under the constraints. Many (certainly in my own office) will scoff at this type of attitude thinking 'why help them out' as they dig their heels in over certain issues, which is their right, but a lot of people are failing to see that this way of working can't go on.

Parcels only

10 Jul 2020, 14:54

In my experience (which has not been a particularly favourable one,) parcel only days have been at their best when it's the individual postie's decision. Having an arbitrary parcel day every week really did not work out as it meant me and my partner got irreparably behind on the mail, but being able to declare that we need a day dealing exclusively with packets every couple of weeks has worked better.

It might not work for some, might work for others, but that's the point; different walks and different posties need different approaches.

Parcels only

12 Jul 2020, 17:10

citypostie wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Cucumber wrote:

There must be some very easy offices coz most of ours couldn't finish one person on 2 deliveries with packets on a Saturday on time .

Parcels only

12 Jul 2020, 17:29

rambo1 wrote:
citypostie wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Cucumber wrote:

There must be some very easy offices coz most of ours couldn't finish one person on 2 deliveries with packets on a Saturday on time .

Couldn't be further from the truth. Very busy office. If it went in the frame like a letter and bundled like a letter, it was treated as a large letter and left until the Monday (graze boxes/photos/thin packages). Anything else went out, probably 150 or so items. Out at 8:30am, 4 hours to deliver 150 odd items in a 2 sq mile area, 2-3 items for quite a few houses. Saturdays wasn't the problem, it was the Monday.

Parcels only

12 Jul 2020, 17:46

The max weight for letters is 100g and for large letters is 750g. the max size for letters is 24cm x 16.5 cm x 5mm and for large letters is 35.3cm x 25cm x 2.5cm. there's quite a bit of what we sort to DOs as packets that falls within them ranges, probably 90% of their Chinese stuff falls in them ranges.

Technically if it were parcels only day (with anything Tracked or SD going out no matter what the size) only then in theory a lot of what's sorted to DOs as parcels could be left

Parcels only

12 Jul 2020, 18:03

SpacePhoenix wrote:The max weight for letters is 100g and for large letters is 750g. the max size for letters is 24cm x 16.5 cm x 5mm and for large letters is 35.3cm x 25cm x 2.5cm. there's quite a bit of what we sort to DOs as packets that falls within them ranges, probably 90% of their Chinese stuff falls in them ranges.

Technically if it were parcels only day (with anything Tracked or SD going out no matter what the size) only then in theory a lot of what's sorted to DOs as parcels could be left

That's basically how we worked it. Mondays were hellish though.

Parcels only

13 Jul 2020, 20:09

Cucumber wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
citypostie wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Cucumber wrote:

Couldn't be further from the truth. Very busy office. If it went in the frame like a letter and bundled like a letter, it was treated as a large letter and left until the Monday (graze boxes/photos/thin packages). Anything else went out, probably 150 or so items. Out at 8:30am, 4 hours to deliver 150 odd items in a 2 sq mile area, 2-3 items for quite a few houses. Saturdays wasn't the problem, it was the Monday.

150 pkts off 2 walks isn't very busy compared to our office. I had 85 just tracked off the two I was meant to do. Quite spread out deliveries too.

Parcels only

13 Jul 2020, 20:39

rambo1 wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
citypostie wrote:
clashcityrocker wrote:
Cucumber wrote:

150 pkts off 2 walks isn't very busy compared to our office. I had 85 just tracked off the two I was meant to do. Quite spread out deliveries too.

How many items were you taking out then? 85 tracked plus how many other parcels? Were you taking out really small packets/large letters as well?
Can't speak for other offices, but tracked items must make up about 60% of all our parcels, which made about 80-90 of ours tracked too.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2