not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

why all new jobs fixed till june 2021

29 Jun 2020, 20:42

whats happing with all new jobs being Fixed Term until June 2021?

29 Jun 2020, 20:58

Good question. I looked up a few jobs with the keyword "post" on the royal mail job site and most of them are fixed term until last week of June 2021. This isn't look good for me transitioning from Angard into an OPG mail centre processing permanent contract direct with Royal Mail :shock:

29 Jun 2020, 21:05

If you ran RM would you be giving permanent contracts out at the moment?

29 Jun 2020, 23:15

My contract, which I signed in September 2018, was a fixed 1 year contract and it said it would ‘end in September 2019 due to business restructuring.’

About 8 months in I expressed my concerns to my DOM that I’d be let go once my 12 months was up. He said ‘give me a moment’ logged into something on his computer, ticked a box and told me a new contract would be sent to me in the post. It arrived a few days later and has no end date.

Royal Mail can figure out a bit about you during your 3 month (or whatever it is) probation, after all most of us can wing something for a few months...but they can figure out everything about what kind of worker you are during a 12 month period.

So I think it’s just an unofficial probationary ‘get rid after a year if they are useless’ period and I wouldn’t read too much into it.

Interestingly though the new contract states I will work Sunday’s and bank holidays if required by RM. I’d have to check but I’m 99% sure that wasn’t in my original contract. Let the rumours begin.....

30 Jun 2020, 18:22

I'm guessing every new starter will have Sundays and bank holiday working as part of their contracts. As all the old guard leave they will have a workforce they can have working any days they want.
Once the majority of people are on the new contracts it will be easy to force the ones on the old to sign the new one or be out of a job. Bit like Asda did. Hope I'm gone before that day comes or I can afford to tell them to shove it

30 Jun 2020, 19:50

Sunday & Bank Holiday working has always been part of the Job , up in till about 1960 there was a delivery on Xmas Day
I started in 1962 & worked Xmas Day on Telegrams
There was collections Sat afternoon , the despatch was at 8-45 pm
Sundays / Bank Holiday duty,s were 2pm - 7-30pm , collections , facing , sorting & bag tying , the despatch was at 7-30 pm
So Sunday working is not new
For those interested at 16 Pay was £4 - 16 - 0 a week for 48 Hour,s ,you did not get Full Pay until you were 28

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1