not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

MRM.COM : Three-step plan : We need to work together to bring about urgent change

25 Jun 2020, 08:31

https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2020/0 ... -step-plan

Today, we have set out a three-step plan to deal with the issues we are facing and help ensure the survival of Royal Mail in the UK. We will:

Continue to address the key challenges posed by COVID-19
    Accelerate the pace of change in the UK, working closely with our unions, and
    Work with all stakeholders to ensure a financially-sustainable USO for the 21st Century.

We face significant challenges:

We are losing around £1m, every day. We expect our UK business to be materially loss-making this year.
    In the past decade, the number of addressed items we deliver per address has nearly halved, to just over one. In the first two months of the financial year, that number has fallen to less than one.
    In the last five years, the profits made by our USO business have fallen by about 95%.

MRM.COM : Three-step plan : We need to work together to bring about urgent change

25 Jun 2020, 08:32

Immediate action

We are taking steps to protect our business

In our full year financial results today, we said we are taking immediate steps to reduce costs and protect our business. These include:

UK spending will be reduced by £250m across 2020-21 and 2021-22. Investment continues at higher than historical levels, including in parcel automation and hubs.
    UK spending to be reduced by £250m across 2020-21 and 2021-22. Investment continues at higher than historical levels, including in parcel automation and hubs.
    We are announcing, regrettably, our intention to slim down management. Looking for around 2,000 management redundancies, primarily focussed more on the most senior and non operational managers. Lower impact in field operations. No impact on CWU grades. Will take a phased approach, with whole process complete by the end of the financial year. All subject to consultation with Unite/CMA, which will be commencing imminently.
    No annual bonus for Executive Directors and most senior managers in 2019-20.
    No final dividend to be paid for 2019-20; do not expect to pay a dividend for 2020-21.

25 Jun 2020, 10:14

It'll be quite interesting to see how quickly that Unite/CMA wish for us (CWU) to stand in a united front against the board.

Seen it too many times, then they go out their way to break us down.

25 Jun 2020, 12:09

35 years in this job and I’ve seen enough of the CMA members do our jobs when we are on strike to answer truthfully I couldn’t care less.

25 Jun 2020, 13:45

So, we're delivering one letter instead of two. Still takes no less time to deliver. There's the problem. Plus more packets which take longer to deliver. Result? The ukpl arm of royal mail has a very limited time frame before it goes bust and all that's left is GLS which is the only thing making money. Of course, we have GLS here, it's called parcel force. The letters though is a doomed sector. The only way we can keep going is letter delivery 3 days a week and parcel only delivery. That's what all this recent no letters on a Saturday business was about and it's still being assessed by regular failing of walks in offices around the country, delivering two days in one. The CWU, if they want to protect jobs are gonna have to come round to the idea of losing 30,000 jobs to save 100,000. That's the simple truth or my take on it anyway.

25 Jun 2020, 15:00

rambo1 wrote:So, we're delivering one letter instead of two. Still takes no less time to deliver. There's the problem. Plus more packets which take longer to deliver. Result? The ukpl arm of royal mail has a very limited time frame before it goes bust and all that's left is GLS which is the only thing making money. Of course, we have GLS here, it's called parcel force. The letters though is a doomed sector. The only way we can keep going is letter delivery 3 days a week and parcel only delivery. That's what all this recent no letters on a Saturday business was about and it's still being assessed by regular failing of walks in offices around the country, delivering two days in one. The CWU, if they want to protect jobs are gonna have to come round to the idea of losing 30,000 jobs to save 100,000. That's the simple truth or my take on it anyway.

100% agree. It's just burying your head in the sand to think anything different is viable. it will cost massive amount of jobs (mine included quite probably) but its the only way RM can function without going bust. At some point the government/OFCOM will realise this and the current USO will make way for a guaranteed 'every other day' postal service with improved 'guaranteed' next day parcel delivery. 20%+ of the workforce cut as a result. That's how I see it, could be right, could be wrong.

25 Jun 2020, 17:06

''we are losing around £1million every day''......where have i heard that before? :hmmmm

25 Jun 2020, 17:10

daveyeff wrote:''we are losing around £1million every day''......where have i heard that before? :hmmmm

Have they tried looking down the back of Rico's couch?

25 Jun 2020, 18:03

So who is going first out of us Posties....

Will it be on seniority, whether you can drive, something else?

25 Jun 2020, 18:06

norris9 wrote:So who is going first out of us Posties....

Is it possible that they might change all DO duties to have the requirement to be able to drive?

25 Jun 2020, 18:13

If one thing Covid has taught us is how much more valuable and productive a driver is to the company than a non driver. If I couldn't drive I would seriously consider learning right this second with urgency.

25 Jun 2020, 18:15

ROYAL MAIL TALK TO US AND TELL US WHAT YOU WANT TO CHANGE WE CAN DISCUSS THIS

25 Jun 2020, 18:16

SpacePhoenix wrote:

Is it possible that they might change all DO duties to have the requirement to be able to drive?

I can only assume this.

We are surely no longer going to be delivering letters everyday, we will be delivering letters once or twice a week. You can't be efficient in delivering parcels if you walk with a trolley. RM are trying to save money here.

At the moment we have non drivers who all finish way earlier than those who drive and they get to go home early, then on top of that someone else has to go and deliver the parcels for their round for them. It's totally inefficient and money down the drain for RM.

25 Jun 2020, 18:23

Ren Hoëk wrote:

If one thing Covid has taught us is how much more valuable and productive a driver is to the company than a non driver. If I couldn't drive I would seriously consider learning right this second with urgency.

3 part time driving staff cost the company the same as 2 full time non driving staff.
I agree, I'd be looking to learn to drive sharpish.

25 Jun 2020, 18:24

norris9 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

I can only assume this.

We are surely no longer going to be delivering letters everyday, we will be delivering letters once or twice a week. You can't be efficient in delivering parcels if you walk with a trolley. RM are trying to save money here.

At the moment we have non drivers who all finish way earlier than those who drive and they get to go home early, then on top of that someone else has to go and deliver the parcels for their round for them. It's totally inefficient and money down the drain for RM.

If they were to have it so that everyone had to be able to drive then they could have anyone on any duty any day

25 Jun 2020, 18:25

norris9 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

I can only assume this.

And where does the money for all these vans come from? You appear to be talking about a van per duty not shared vans, that's a hell of a lot of money to buy/hire and then you have the running costs per year.

25 Jun 2020, 18:27

SpacePhoenix wrote:
norris9 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

I can only assume this.

If they were to have it so that everyone had to be able to drive then they could have anyone on any duty any day

A positive, surely?
I've seen many a duty fail because people 'don't know it'.

25 Jun 2020, 18:29

A2B wrote:
norris9 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:

I can only assume this.

And where does the money for all these vans come from? You appear to be talking about a van per duty not shared vans, that's a hell of a lot of money to buy/hire and then you have the running costs per year.

About 90% of our vans are only used for about 5 hours a day. They won't be buying/leasing any more.

25 Jun 2020, 18:30

A2B wrote:And where does the money for all these vans come from? You appear to be talking about a van per duty not shared vans, that's a hell of a lot of money to buy/hire and then you have the running costs per year.

well - you have still got to send out another person on that non driver's duty to deliver the parcels.......in a van.

25 Jun 2020, 18:36

You may lick to look at The Union Room to see the proposals for Click & Collect Collections
Last edited by wallan on 25 Jun 2020, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3