not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

MRM.COM : Full year results 2019-20 : Headlines

25 Jun 2020, 21:47

A2B wrote:
Cucumber wrote:
Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
A2B wrote:What changes do you see in your crystal balls that wipes out HCT use?

That it doesn’t make sense to use them anymore when it’s a parcel led business as you are covering the same ground twice with 2 members of staff. I hope I am wrong but that would be the logical business case imo.

We regularly have 3 people covering the same ground on the same day. 2 on the duty, 1 doing the excess oversize that can't be managed.

Bit confused as to how this adds up, is this two people using HTC's but would normally van share?

2 people in a van share (one leaving from office meeting other in street). They will take as much mail and parcels they can manage, then a third person often does the excess parcels on overtime. So yes, 3 people over the space of 6 hours covering the same 2 walks. It's incredibly inefficient. It's not often that people have got time to sift through all parcels, so effectively you could have postie (a) putting a letter through the door, postie (b) who is the driver of the partnership taking a parcel to the same door, then 2 hours later postie (c) taking another parcel to the door which got left in earlier. Believe me, it does happen.

25 Jun 2020, 21:49

A2B wrote:How can you make such a sweeping statement :cuppa yoi're obviously talking about what happens in your office and have no idea what goes on outside that :wave

Well seeing as 100% of the guys/girls with the HCT's finish a lot earlier than those who go out in the vans and a HCT is only so big that you can only fit a certain amount of mail/parcels inside one, I am pretty confident that my 'sweeping statement' is highly likely accurate in most if not all cases.

Look at the size of a van versus a HCT.

Or just look at Xmas for a blatantly obvious example of the differences between those who take a van to those who take a HCT.....again the HCT can't fit bugga all in it compared to a van. Vans are rammed at xmas time.
Last edited by norris9 on 25 Jun 2020, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

25 Jun 2020, 21:57

The changes people will have to accept will centre around start times and attendance patterns with the probability that far more duties will be assigned due to suitability rather than on a seniority basis.

For example a non driver may have limited choice when it comes to a repick and may be assigned to an HCT duty whether they want it or not, some staff may be assigned to afternoon shifts if they have no justifiable reason not to, some drivers may be assigned to reserve duties even if they're senior enough to pick a duty, in fact the whole idea of posties choosing where or when they work could disappear with the only guarantee that you'll get your contracted hours.

If you can accept that there will be a job for you, if you can't (and they know a lot won't) then there may not be a job for you.

25 Jun 2020, 22:02

Woody Guthrie wrote:The changes people will have to accept will centre around start times and attendance patterns with the probability that far more duties will be assigned due to suitability rather than on a seniority basis.

For example a non driver may have limited choice when it comes to a repick and may be assigned to an HCT duty whether they want it or not, some staff may be assigned to afternoon shifts if they have no justifiable reason not to, some drivers may be assigned to reserve duties even if they're senior enough to pick a duty, in fact the whole idea of posties choosing where or when they work could disappear with the only guarantee that you'll get your contracted hours.

If you can accept that there will be a job for you, if you can't (and they know a lot won't) then there may not be a job for you.

Does all this run in tandem with single van occupancy remaining in your view?

25 Jun 2020, 22:06

norris9 wrote:
A2B wrote:How can you make such a sweeping statement :cuppa yoi're obviously talking about what happens in your office and have no idea what goes on outside that :wave

Well seeing as 100% of the guys/girls with the HCT's finish a lot earlier than those who go out in the vans and a HCT is only so big that you can only fit a certain amount of mail/parcels inside one, I am pretty confident that my 'sweeping statement' is highly likely accurate is most if not all cases.

Obviously the duty structures in your office are wrong then!

You can get a 4.5hr delivery span of mail and regular packets into a HCT (pre COVID), based on your argument you should be driving a HGV and taking every parcel in the office :dance

25 Jun 2020, 22:25

One thing that would probably make a big difference in many DOs if if they were to have a couple of staff take out vans and do all the SDs for the office and maybe the very largest oversize as well

25 Jun 2020, 22:35

SpacePhoenix wrote:One thing that would probably make a big difference in many DOs if if they were to have a couple of staff take out vans and do all the SDs for the office and maybe the very largest oversize as well

That already happens in some offices, dedicated packet duties

26 Jun 2020, 00:26

norris9 wrote:I don't understand how and why they would need all of us Posties if we are about to focus on parcel deliveries.

Are they just going to dump the letters? If not, then posties needed to deliver them.

norris9 wrote: As we saw during the saturday parcel only delivery - you only need half the amount of Posties.

On the Saturday, then twice as many on the Monday to catch up with the letters.

26 Jun 2020, 00:29

Unless some other company comes along that could deliver letters, there's no way that either OFCOM or the government would just RM dump letters entirely

26 Jun 2020, 05:57

mark.cup wrote:This reminds me of the time around colleague shares...

We went from making a million a day one year to losing a million a day the next when nothing had changed!

I can't 100% remember but I think the union looked into it and it was all clever accounting buying failing business's abroad etc.

They have preached in work time learning letters make no money we need to be a parcel firm then when it happens someone very high up told me the margins are terrible on packets and it's frightening how little mail we have :d'oh!

They are really trying to drop the USO and then watch the profits bounce back I hope the regulator sees through it because they've destroyed a really good business to make themselves rich whilst putting stupid pressure particularly on front line staff

I've been repeatedly saying this for a long time, RM have a long history of 'cooking the books' even pre-privatisation... the only difference is RM cook the books to make profits look down and the business prospects grim so they can use it as a stick to beat the posties with.

26 Jun 2020, 06:29

wacko74 wrote: I've been repeatedly saying this for a long time, RM have a long history of 'cooking the books' even pre-privatisation... the only difference is RM cook the books to make profits look down and the business prospects grim so they can use it as a stick to beat the posties with.

I seems like it however unbelievable it is. I can understand that it is a great tool to negotiate with CWU but at the same time they undermine the company shares value. It is very strangely managed company.

Going back to inevitable changes we will face. Speaking from a full time reserve point of view. One that knows 60-70% of the whole office duties covering anything from hct to driving duties, This whole thing may actually be beneficial to us. Once seniority is scrapped or at least is not the only factor looked at when assigning duties we may end up with something of our own. Also being very flexible with knowledge of various types of duties our job security should look good.

I dont want to sound selfish but if some of the older colleagues accepted the fact that we may no longer have early finishes and easy life as they were used to some 10 years ago or more. They will still be in the job that pays reasonable wage and can be enjoyed with the right attitude and a bit of luck when it comes to line management.

My main concern is there will also be an attack on pay conditions. Pay rise might be a thing of the past and generally speaking they may look to reduce the benefit of paid sick and some other allowances while giving us a rise of silly 2-3% and announcing how generous the offer is and CWU trying to justify it with us.

26 Jun 2020, 06:48

Woody Guthrie wrote:The changes people will have to accept will centre around start times and attendance patterns with the probability that far more duties will be assigned due to suitability rather than on a seniority basis.

Don’t know about others but I could live with that. I’m a floater doing the afternoon shift expected to cover 1 of 40 different rounds at the drop of a hat so it makes no difference to be. Can see a lot being unhappy especially those moves off rounds they’ve done for years.

26 Jun 2020, 07:06

Why move someone off a round that they know & are completing to a round they don't know & put another on their initial round. It doesn't make sense

26 Jun 2020, 07:36

norris9 wrote:

Well seeing as 100% of the guys/girls with the HCT's finish a lot earlier than those who go out in the vans and a HCT is only so big that you can only fit a certain amount of mail/parcels inside one, I am pretty confident that my 'sweeping statement' is highly likely accurate in most if not all cases.

Our HCT duties have a support driver. Take as much out as you can fit into your HCT (or as much as you want to take) and leave the rest for the support driver. When you want to be replenished give the driver a call or text and they will meet you with your next load of work to refill your trolley.

Also I would say the HCT duties are just the same as park and loop pairings or single driving duties. Some are probably too easy and some are probably way too long. They certainly are not all seen as easy duties in my office.

26 Jun 2020, 15:21

grchpo wrote:Why move someone off a round that they know & are completing to a round they don't know & put another on their initial round. It doesn't make sense

It's much better for the company to have each person know 5 different runs, than have 90% know 1 run and 10% know 30 runs.

26 Jun 2020, 16:19

mark.cup wrote:This reminds me of the time around colleague shares...

We went from making a million a day one year to losing a million a day the next when nothing had changed!

I can't 100% remember but I think the union looked into it and it was all clever accounting buying failing business's abroad etc.

They have preached in work time learning letters make no money we need to be a parcel firm then when it happens someone very high up told me the margins are terrible on packets and it's frightening how little mail we have :d'oh!

They are really trying to drop the USO and then watch the profits bounce back I hope the regulator sees through it because they've destroyed a really good business to make themselves rich whilst putting stupid pressure particularly on front line staff

26 Jun 2020, 16:50

grchpo wrote:Why move someone off a round that they know & are completing to a round they don't know & put another on their initial round. It doesn't make sense

A duty is a duty, there all the same and we all get paid the same wage. "I don't know the frame" isn't really an excuse when you have a walksorted tray.

I have this discussion regularly with the office rep.

28 Jun 2020, 15:02

A2B wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:One thing that would probably make a big difference in many DOs if if they were to have a couple of staff take out vans and do all the SDs for the office and maybe the very largest oversize as well

That already happens in some offices, dedicated packet duties

Your having a laugh, you'll be saying we'll all be riding bikes next and having our 2nd, 3rd and 4th (on a busy day) bags dropped off at a newsagent or put in a lockable metal box on a post. .......oh wait, no, thats what used to happen and was so incredibly inefficient and costly they decided to buy vans by the 10's of thousand.......look where that's got us.

28 Jun 2020, 15:04

NewPostieUK wrote:
norris9 wrote:I don't understand how and why they would need all of us Posties if we are about to focus on parcel deliveries.

Are they just going to dump the letters? If not, then posties needed to deliver them.

norris9 wrote: As we saw during the saturday parcel only delivery - you only need half the amount of Posties.

On the Saturday, then twice as many on the Monday to catch up with the letters.

And only about 60% of the packets got done on the Saturday!

28 Jun 2020, 15:06

yubin282 wrote:

A duty is a duty, there all the same and we all get paid the same wage. "I don't know the frame" isn't really an excuse when you have a walksorted tray.

I have this discussion regularly with the office rep.

That's rubbish. Yeah you can put in mech sequenced in any frame but someone who knows a duty is always gonna be a better use of resources than someone who doesn't. Thats a fact.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 3   1, 2, 3