not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Hot weather warnings

24 Jun 2020, 18:15

I was out from 10am until 3.50pm. Wacked out. 2hrs overtime on parcels that I couldn’t get out of because I’d said I’d do it the day before. Told them no thanks for tomorrow. Can’t do enough for a ‘good’ company. Haha

Hot weather warnings

24 Jun 2020, 20:39

Outdoors 9.30 till 4.30 (some of it by choice on overtime), a really draining day. The one thing that’s winding me up is not a single offer from any household of topping up your water bottle or a drink. Just 1 small offer, of a refill of your water bottle or a small can of pop would be amazing and I think it’s safe to say we’d go above and beyond for those people in future. What with us being key workers and all you’d think the public might offer.

And yes I take plenty out with me (4 full flasks of water!) but you soon get through it walking 12 miles and being in a baking van.

Hot weather warnings

24 Jun 2020, 21:28

Why do we put up with it?

Im dreading tomorrow, im in bed already and its so hot and my face and neck are so hot still from today, its gonna take a long time before i fall asleep. The alarm will sound at 5am and its full steam ahead for another 9 hours of absolute slog, and even hotter tomorrow apparently.

Its incredible how much harder it makes everything knowing the state of this company and the people that run it and “manage” us everyday. Yes we all want and need a productive and profitable business, but productivity should not be a case of “you can do x number of delivery points each day and finish an hour early, so we’ll fill that hour with all these extra delivery points and you should be able to do it”. The fact is, we’re all TOO productive already in my opinion, and they shouldnt be able to just keep chucking more at us and expecting it done . . . But i suppose it comes down to the fact that we just keep doing it.

Hot weather warnings

24 Jun 2020, 21:47

scoobydo79 wrote:Well that was pretty much expected.Bin men out on the street at 6 A.M. Posties out on the street 9.45. Blank look from manager with the advice take some water :roll:

Or 1pm first letter if you are on the afternoon shift due to social distancing...

Hot weather warnings

24 Jun 2020, 22:17

Ringer21 wrote:4 hours 25mins for my delivery today got back 25mins early and sent back out I understand work to my time but that ridiculous in this heat

How's that possible?

Hot weather warnings

24 Jun 2020, 22:22

It's gonna be 30c today, oh and btw we didn't send your walk out yesterday on your day off. I'm sure you'll cope thought as mails down. Don't forget to deliver on the shade side of the street .......... anyone else feel like this? Then you get stress when you explain it's hot and no you won't be delivering 2 day's worth in a day.

Hot weather warnings

24 Jun 2020, 22:55

Wear a long sleeve top
One of those "holiday" hats that are made of mesh to keep head shady but cool
And loads of water (I asked someone with an outside tap if I can refill without and questions asked)

I was fine all day, and had a heavy load

Preparation is key

Hot weather warnings

25 Jun 2020, 05:20

mjd24 wrote:Why do we put up with it?

Im dreading tomorrow, im in bed already and its so hot and my face and neck are so hot still from today, its gonna take a long time before i fall asleep. The alarm will sound at 5am and its full steam ahead for another 9 hours of absolute slog, and even hotter tomorrow apparently.

Its incredible how much harder it makes everything knowing the state of this company and the people that run it and “manage” us everyday. Yes we all want and need a productive and profitable business, but productivity should not be a case of “you can do x number of delivery points each day and finish an hour early, so we’ll fill that hour with all these extra delivery points and you should be able to do it”. The fact is, we’re all TOO productive already in my opinion, and they shouldnt be able to just keep chucking more at us and expecting it done . . . But i suppose it comes down to the fact that we just keep doing it.

We do it because there’s a huge deep ingrained desire to get done early. So we come in early, cut corners, do everything we can to beat the system. When you have people going home sometimes 2 hours early, usually management soon wise up and just add 2 hours more work to the round.

I just can’t get my head round it. Start time, finish time, work all the hours you’re paid for (or extend if you want/are allowed to), job done.

I’m the ONLY one who starts at my start time out of 19/20 people in the section I work in. When I start, most are already on their packets. I have a hard time taking any work advice from my colleagues (‘do your mech first, don’t put those graze boxes in the frame, don’t waste time doing a packet list’) when straight away they are working before their time for free!

Hot weather warnings

25 Jun 2020, 17:36

Dindin wrote:
Ringer21 wrote:4 hours 25mins for my delivery today got back 25mins early and sent back out I understand work to my time but that ridiculous in this heat

How's that possible?

You went back out and did a further 25 minutes of work??

Hot weather warnings

25 Jun 2020, 18:14

robbertwhitton wrote:
Dindin wrote:

How's that possible?

You went back out and did a further 25 minutes of work??

So you didn’t think you had to work in the sun when you took the job on. What do you do if it rains stay indoors.

Hot weather warnings

25 Jun 2020, 18:42

Yes I went back out and did another 25mins of work I'm a non driver so walked 10mins to the deliver posted a few letters for 5mins then walked back and chucked all the mail on the managers desk. The point I'm trying to make is RM don't give a shite about letters at the minute and it was only letters I got sent back out with letters getting failed on rounds for days managers couldn't careless I would of happily of stayed until my time doing something in the office just thought it was ridiculous considering the heat. Maybe I'm wrong just thought a bit of commonsense should of come into this.

Hot weather warnings

25 Jun 2020, 19:13

Today was absolutely mental. 50+ oversized, another few flats and 4 bags of mail. Manager took one look at my frame and said "i'd leave a couple of bags in if I were you". So that's what I did. Took on all the fluids, sun cream etc that I could. Still burnt, dehydrated and addled by a spot of heat stroke! Ah well.

Hot weather warnings

25 Jun 2020, 20:34

Felt better today, wore factor 50 and wore my own red t-shirt. the red polo shirt is just too much in this heat.

Hot weather warnings

27 Jun 2020, 17:23

xPandabear1992x wrote:Today was absolutely mental. 50+ oversized, another few flats and 4 bags of mail. Manager took one look at my frame and said "i'd leave a couple of bags in if I were you". So that's what I did. Took on all the fluids, sun cream etc that I could. Still burnt, dehydrated and addled by a spot of heat stroke! Ah well.

Blimey, a caring manager. Surely they won't last.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2