not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Deliberately leaving in walks to cut down on overtime

19 Jun 2020, 14:35

tonyjkilleen wrote:I am a 4 day worker going into work this morning with Wednesday Thursday and Friday's mail and small packets to deliver .screwed over every week yet some duties are cleared everyday as long as tracked are delivered its not classed as a failed delivery?

There are duties in ours that have 2 x full time staff on them. Clearing every day, easily.
Others have 1 x 9:30am starting part time member of staff, bouncing between walk (a) and (b) then back again. About 1/4 of the resources.

19 Jun 2020, 15:41

Sir Henry wrote:Walk left in yesterday, taken out today so that's 2 days mail delivered for the equivalent of a day's pay plus an hour o/t.
Boss must walking around with a permanent grin.

Bonus? ( Not for us, obviously)

19 Jun 2020, 16:46

rambo1 wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:Walk left in yesterday, taken out today so that's 2 days mail delivered for the equivalent of a day's pay plus an hour o/t.
Boss must walking around with a permanent grin.

Bonus? ( Not for us, obviously)

Since lockdown I've not worked my day off because they don't want me to. That's fine by me, I'll just work all my hours and so should everyone else and if you can't complete just bring it back, don't stress about it.

I think the business is using this virus as a crutch and to boost profits long term. Also long term on the agenda will be cutting the USO down to 5 days a week. If most of the offices can clear the mail every day then more changes and more job losses could be just round the corner.

Watch this space!

19 Jun 2020, 19:21

Our depot has been tightly clutching the purse strings during lockdown. There have been a few guys willing to work their day off and/or go out and do some extra parcels on overtime but the managers aren't bothered. They are quite happy to see letters left in frames for up to 2 days and normal packets left on Yorkes for days on end. What has annoyed posties in our office is when one or two of the posties who have a finger up their bosses ar$e still appear to be allowed to work their day off when others have been told resolutely NO.

Personally, I don't think its acceptable that any work should be left in the office when there are plenty of hire van companies open and plenty of staff willing to work overtime to get the office clear.

19 Jun 2020, 22:41

We have overtime to clear each day if posties want it and the office clears everyday with O/T kings clearing up the rest to clear
Obviously every office is different, some paying O/T and some not

20 Jun 2020, 14:49

Same story as Eastie, office is cleared every day, early sorting overtime, overtime on walks and collections all properly paid.
I guess it depends on your management, I just thankful our lot are pretty fair.

20 Jun 2020, 19:55

All those Fathers day cards left in the frame today at the expense of the bigger profit items of tracked/large parcels. It really does look like the company is hell bent on getting rid of letters. (which will mean jobs)

20 Jun 2020, 19:59

wookie wrote:All those Fathers day cards left in the frame today at the expense of the bigger profit items of tracked/large parcels. It really does look like the company is hell bent on getting rid of letters. (which will mean jobs)

In MCs letters and flats for a good while now are the first to get sacrificed if there's a possibility of a failure

21 Jun 2020, 07:45

Dont worry when christmass arrives you will be delivering cards in january

28 Jun 2020, 18:35

Pretty much the same in our office, I'm a P/T reserve and we alternate frames daily, just making sure tracks are done, that's all they care about. In theory this works but unfortunately when cut off comes back day after day as each day, more is left and the frames slowly fill back up towards the end of the week. Then 75% - 80% of the duty on Saturday then basically fails as all the packets, D2Ds and letters for the whole week end up having to be delivered on one day to clear for next week, which obviously is impossible, not to mention all the tracked that still has to be done.

I really don’t understand how this is an acceptable strategy? Not to mention you get s**t for cutting off when trying to deliver 3-4 days worth of mail and in my case in under 4 hours. Totally mind boggling :crazy:

28 Jun 2020, 18:41

I’m never sure what the process is for failing walks, does anyone else know? On a morning, the manager or line manager goes round with his tablet making a note of which walks have been failed. Who is this reported to? Area manager then the regulator? What are the repercussions?

28 Jun 2020, 18:55

HTPostman wrote:I’m never sure what the process is for failing walks, does anyone else know? On a morning, the manager or line manager goes round with his tablet making a note of which walks have been failed. Who is this reported to? Area manager then the regulator? What are the repercussions?

Area manager, your dom has to report how many items on each walk have failed (count each letter) this is then passed further up above area manager, regulator not imposing fines at the moment which is why we are allowed to do it. Each office is allowed to fail 5% to get under budget, they must not spend any more than they did this time last year.

28 Jun 2020, 19:05

For those of you that dont your office budget is set from last year. Each week they look at how much your office spent to get the mail out, inc leave and sickness.Lets say it took 2000 hours for the whole office inc leave/absence and overtime Then the same week this year is set at that -3%, thats why your overtime gets shaved off and where lapsing comes from to save hours as any Dom not complying gets conducted from above.

28 Jun 2020, 19:23

I do think it's disgusting, customers paying for 1st class mail and its staying in frames for (sometimes days).

28 Jun 2020, 19:28

Pathfinder wrote:I do think it's disgusting, customers paying for 1st class mail and its staying in frames for (sometimes days).

Not that many people really expect or care whether a letter takes 1 day or 2-3 days.
They care far more when they are getting their new Adidas trainers.

28 Jun 2020, 19:35

2yearpostie wrote:For those of you that dont your office budget is set from last year. Each week they look at how much your office spent to get the mail out, inc leave and sickness.Lets say it took 2000 hours for the whole office inc leave/absence and overtime Then the same week this year is set at that -3%, thats why your overtime gets shaved off and where lapsing comes from to save hours as any Dom not complying gets conducted from above.

I’m not convinced that Doms get conducted from above after reading the posts on here,as much overtime as you want,seems to be the norm,I take it they get conducted for mail left day after day,and the log off times on the pda not adding up??

28 Jun 2020, 19:38

robbertwhitton wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:For those of you that dont your office budget is set from last year. Each week they look at how much your office spent to get the mail out, inc leave and sickness.Lets say it took 2000 hours for the whole office inc leave/absence and overtime Then the same week this year is set at that -3%, thats why your overtime gets shaved off and where lapsing comes from to save hours as any Dom not complying gets conducted from above.

I’m not convinced that Doms get conducted from above after reading the posts on here,as much overtime as you want,seems to be the norm,I take it they get conducted for mail left day after day,and the log off times on the pda not adding up??

At the moment they are being told to leave the mail.

28 Jun 2020, 19:43

2yearpostie wrote:
HTPostman wrote:I’m never sure what the process is for failing walks, does anyone else know? On a morning, the manager or line manager goes round with his tablet making a note of which walks have been failed. Who is this reported to? Area manager then the regulator? What are the repercussions?

Area manager, your dom has to report how many items on each walk have failed (count each letter) this is then passed further up above area manager, regulator not imposing fines at the moment which is why we are allowed to do it. Each office is allowed to fail 5% to get under budget, they must not spend any more than they did this time last year.

There's not enough hours in the day to count every letter and parcel left behind in our office and we have all the overtime you need to book, i can safely say the budget has been thrown out the window.

28 Jun 2020, 21:06

A2B wrote:
2yearpostie wrote:

There's not enough hours in the day to count every letter and parcel left behind in our office and we have all the overtime you need to book, i can safely say the budget has been thrown out the window.

More likely they just count the total fill of every container for a give mail stream and just multiply that by the ACF

29 Jun 2020, 11:47

ACF is about 250-300 i think.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2