not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Rico

19 May 2020, 20:36

It wasnt always easy years ago. We may only have had 2 or 3 pouches to deliver and fewer packets (although I do remember the sky mags and the freebies we delivered) but I hated those early,early starts. You couldn't stay up at night and one of the worst things was being asked to work all over town with just an A-Z. I would 2 hours just finding the start point. With shared van you don't get that but i don't think it's the most efficient way of working.

Rico

20 May 2020, 17:23

Chelseablue wrote:Get a ft job somewhere where youlle be happy rather than blame everyone else.

I see you were complaining about the amount of bonus we are getting...guess that’s both of us who should get a job elsewhere then.

Rico

20 May 2020, 19:23

I Was actually sticking up for the pts there lol . Touchy little boy

Rico

21 May 2020, 04:05

And I was sticking up for the full timers. Grumpy big girl.

Lol

Rico

21 May 2020, 04:47

Woody Guthrie wrote:
themailman wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:Fdeezy see how you feel after 30 years doing this and get back to me

In those 30 years, has the job become harder?

That's a tough question because there's also the issue that it's a s**t company to work for now so it's more of a chore.

There are some aspects that are harder like longer deliveries and later finishes but there are also some things that are easier like later starts, sequenced mail, shared vans and much better pay.

We tend to look at the past with rose tinted glasses but it's always been a tough physical job.

I would say all in all the toughest this job has been was 2000-2005 ish. Huge amounts of mail un-sequenced, sky mags and phone bills dumped in the middle of a duty you didn’t know on your own in the pre-smartphone age.... 6 days a week.

I agree there. I’ve worked for RM for 2 stints, first time round was just after that period. Nothing sequenced, every bag heavy. Not many parcels but I remember being hammered with recorded letters.

Most will disagree but I find the job easier now. Having a 7 year break from the job gives me a good idea of (in my opinion) how difficult it is compared to before.

Are the rounds longer? Yes. On average in yesteryear I’d be out the door at 9am and done by 2pm, with about 6 bags all weighing the maximum allowed (do they still weigh pouches before going on delivering?). Now on average pre coronavirus it’s 9.45am out the door, 3pm finish. Slightly longer rounds but not as heavy.

And like you say smartphones help. Back then you’d be dropped off in the crew bus at a shop or someones shed then it was good luck. Now at least you’re in a van and have easily available maps to give you a vague idea of where you are.

There’s still a lack of organisation but I have a feeling that will never change.

Rico

21 May 2020, 17:34

postslippete wrote:It wasnt always easy years ago. We may only have had 2 or 3 pouches to deliver and fewer packets (although I do remember the sky mags and the freebies we delivered) but I hated those early,early starts. You couldn't stay up at night and one of the worst things was being asked to work all over town with just an A-Z. I would 2 hours just finding the start point. With shared van you don't get that but i don't think it's the most efficient way of working.

It was also 6 days a week for those 5am starts

Rico

21 May 2020, 17:39

The bags were a killer then phone bills gas bills sky mags bulk postings . Getting sent out on new duties every day in the dark not a clue where you are lol wasnt rico then but crozier , leighton etc etc . Two deliveries a day too was 6 days a week too only sunday off.

Rico

21 May 2020, 17:40

yip. 42 and a half hours at one time i recall.

Rico

21 May 2020, 18:28

It is quite hard to actually say whether or not it was easier in days gone by. Naturally you think it was easier but you forget that you were 15/20/30+ years younger then. What makes me laugh is those who weren’t in the job back in those days say “yeah but it was easy back in those days etc etc” when the subject is brought up.

Rico

21 May 2020, 19:22

See how the young uns get on 30 yrs from now , will they find the job easy, piece of cake , most of us older ones are now struggling with joint probs etc.

Rico

21 May 2020, 19:45

Chelseablue wrote:See how the young uns get on 30 yrs from now , will they find the job easy, piece of cake , most of us older ones are now struggling with joint probs etc.

I don't think the job in 30 years time will look anything like it does now. By them mail will probably be a couple of times a week at most. All parcels will probably have 2D barcodes on them and there'll be some software that plans your route for you (there might not even be fixed walks by then)

Rico

21 May 2020, 21:27

Chelseablue wrote:The bags were a killer then phone bills gas bills sky mags bulk postings . Getting sent out on new duties every day in the dark not a clue where you are lol wasnt rico then but crozier , leighton etc etc . Two deliveries a day too was 6 days a week too only sunday off.

Maximum weight for pouches then was supposed to be 16kg but no way of checking the weight out on delivery and they were more often than not way over that I suspect. The delivery spans were far shorter than now but you were carrying far more weight on your shoulder than you do now.

Rico

22 May 2020, 10:36

chocolatesaltyballs wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:The bags were a killer then phone bills gas bills sky mags bulk postings . Getting sent out on new duties every day in the dark not a clue where you are lol wasnt rico then but crozier , leighton etc etc . Two deliveries a day too was 6 days a week too only sunday off.

Maximum weight for pouches then was supposed to be 16kg but no way of checking the weight out on delivery and they were more often than not way over that I suspect. The delivery spans were far shorter than now but you were carrying far more weight on your shoulder than you do now.

If I remember correctly the 16kg was just the first pouch , subsequent pouches were only 11kg.

Rico

22 May 2020, 18:50

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:See how the young uns get on 30 yrs from now , will they find the job easy, piece of cake , most of us older ones are now struggling with joint probs etc.

I don't think the job in 30 years time will look anything like it does now. By them mail will probably be a couple of times a week at most. All parcels will probably have 2D barcodes on them and there'll be some software that plans your route for you (there might not even be fixed walks by then)

flying vans...(back to the future style).....or drones delivering packets......or ''beamed'' to your house straight from the manufacturer? :Very Happy

Previous page Next page

Page 8 of 8   1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8