not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Rico

17 May 2020, 17:58

1560loopsayear wrote:Two full-timers sharing two walks can jump on their frames after their breaks and have them bagged-up and walking out the door to load up the van when Two part-timers sharing two walks are just coming in to start their shift - putting them a good hour or more behind the full timers, but are still expected to clear the same volume of work and finish at the same time. How does that work out? As long as this keep happening their will be no harmony and 'we're all in this together' between staff. Probably just what Royal Mail want. We need mandatory re-picks were two walk duties shared can only have 1 full-timer paired with 1 part-timer... and clock-in/out cards.

That is how it is meant to be but you get managers who cannot manage and DOM'S who cannot staff the office because of bonus or budget constraints and diktat from above by fly by night CEO's we don't need tools to keep us in work we just don't need tool's in charge of us!

Rico

17 May 2020, 18:01

I think we can all agree that the present system is a total cock up, and really needs sorting out. :hmmmm However it suits Royal Mail to Divide and Conquer .... it suits Lazy Managers to allow Ghosting Overtime (which TBH I thought was a thing of the past) .... it suits the CWU to Turn a Blind Eye, and pretend it's all OK ..... and it suits some Greedy Fellow Posties to take the piss at the expense of their PT Colleagues. :thumbdown

I have very little faith that the situation is likely to improve with so many different Delivery Offices, and each one having it's own particular way of working. :cuppa

Rico

17 May 2020, 20:01

Dorset Plodder wrote:I think we can all agree that the present system is a total cock up, and really needs sorting out. :hmmmm However it suits Royal Mail to Divide and Conquer .... it suits Lazy Managers to allow Ghosting Overtime (which TBH I thought was a thing of the past) .... it suits the CWU to Turn a Blind Eye, and pretend it's all OK ..... and it suits some Greedy Fellow Posties to take the piss at the expense of their PT Colleagues. :thumbdown

I have very little faith that the situation is likely to improve with so many different Delivery Offices, and each one having it's own particular way of working. :cuppa

Spot on

Lets forget about all this talk of standing together. The majority only look after themselves, and would shaft a fellow postie for a few extra pounds

Rico

18 May 2020, 20:37

1560loopsayear wrote:Two full-timers sharing two walks can jump on their frames after their breaks and have them bagged-up and walking out the door to load up the van when Two part-timers sharing two walks are just coming in to start their shift - putting them a good hour or more behind the full timers, but are still expected to clear the same volume of work and finish at the same time. How does that work out? As long as this keep happening their will be no harmony and 'we're all in this together' between staff. Probably just what Royal Mail want. We need mandatory re-picks were two walk duties shared can only have 1 full-timer paired with 1 part-timer... and clock-in/out cards.

The two full timers would not both be prepping the frame. One prepping and one doing something else. The part timer coming in later should come in to a frame ready to go. If its not its up them to sort it out with management. Its not the full timers fault. How do the frames get prepped, parcels sorted, ips done etc, think some part timers seem to think this happens magically. Also I was part time for a long time before full time contract but that's the job I applied for. There's no point accepting a part time contract and then complaining about it.

Rico

18 May 2020, 21:28

It's seems the main point of contention is part timers are walking the same amount as full timers. As others have said. Full timers are doing other things. Indoor work. Prepping two walks when their partner works the IPS. The Part timers in our office start later everyday and are given more time on their own frames with less IPS time. That's where the time is saved. Not outdoors and it works out.

What the f**k any of this has to do with Rico f***ing off I don't know.

Rico

19 May 2020, 07:22

Ren Hoëk wrote:It's seems the main point of contention is part timers are walking the same amount as full timers. As others have said. Full timers are doing other things. Indoor work. Prepping two walks when their partner works the IPS. The Part timers in our office start later everyday and are given more time on their own frames with less IPS time. That's where the time is saved. Not outdoors and it works out.

I don’t think it’s just that - 99% of PT staff would not have an issue if they were just doing their 25 hours.

In our office it’s the fact most FT are very militant, won’t work over their time (and majority if they want to are able to finish before their time). Most PT staff here are doing more hours than their FT counterparts. Yes I know overtime is voluntary but when you have new PT staff, some of whom are in their first job after education, they aren’t going to stand up to the DOM.

It doesn’t matter if the hours are indoors, outdoors, upstairs, downstairs, they are still working hours as set out by RM.

So you have an absurd situation where someone working 38 hours a week is receiving more money than someone working 40+ hours a week. Only in Royal Mail.

However like I’ve said a few times the bonus doesn’t bother me, I look at it as £130 gained not £70 lost. I’m more fussed about the holiday pay situation being solved - I’m owed in excess of 100 hours!

Rico

19 May 2020, 07:52

HTPostman wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:It's seems the main point of contention is part timers are walking the same amount as full timers. As others have said. Full timers are doing other things. Indoor work. Prepping two walks when their partner works the IPS. The Part timers in our office start later everyday and are given more time on their own frames with less IPS time. That's where the time is saved. Not outdoors and it works out.

I don’t think it’s just that - 99% of PT staff would not have an issue if they were just doing their 25 hours.

In our office it’s the fact most FT are very militant, won’t work over their time (and majority if they want to are able to finish before their time). Most PT staff here are doing more hours than their FT counterparts. Yes I know overtime is voluntary but when you have new PT staff, some of whom are in their first job after education, they aren’t going to stand up to the DOM.

It doesn’t matter if the hours are indoors, outdoors, upstairs, downstairs, they are still working hours as set out by RM.

So you have an absurd situation where someone working 38 hours a week is receiving more money than someone working 40+ hours a week. Only in Royal Mail.

However like I’ve said a few times the bonus doesn’t bother me, I look at it as £130 gained not £70 lost. I’m more fussed about the holiday pay situation being solved - I’m owed in excess of 100 hours!

I still don't understand your beef. How can you blame FT staff for being able to stick up for themselves. PT staff have the same employment rights and if our office is anything to go by the FT staff would have been young on the job as well considering how long they have been here. Plenty of them also get walked all over as well. It's nothing to do with FT/PT. Also, If you work 40 hours then you will be paid more than a 38 hour FT'er working their hours.

Now, I understand the frustration of routinely doing OT and not having your contract made up. That's something that should be looked at and there are guidelines on that. BUT, Ultimately, You took a job that stated 25 hour contract. The holiday situation is also s**t but still, you ultimately took a 25 hour contract. I was on 32 hours for 10 years before I managed to get made up. It's frustrating but it's not FT'ers faults. People need to direct their ire elsewhere.

This thread needs to be renamed. This has nothing to do with Rico.

Rico

19 May 2020, 11:58

Ren Hoëk wrote:
HTPostman wrote:

I still don't understand your beef. How can you blame FT staff for being able to stick up for themselves. PT staff have the same employment rights and if our office is anything to go by the FT staff would have been young on the job as well considering how long they have been here. Plenty of them also get walked all over as well. It's nothing to do with FT/PT. Also, If you work 40 hours then you will be paid more than a 38 hour FT'er working their hours.

Now, I understand the frustration of routinely doing OT and not having your contract made up. That's something that should be looked at and there are guidelines on that. BUT, Ultimately, You took a job that stated 25 hour contract. The holiday situation is also s**t but still, you ultimately took a 25 hour contract. I was on 32 hours for 10 years before I managed to get made up. It's frustrating but it's not FT'ers faults. People need to direct their ire elsewhere.

I’m not blaming FT staff, just pointing out why PT staff might be irked. As I have said numerous times I have no beef against FT staff when it comes to hours. My only ‘beef’ against FTers is when they use underhand tactics against those they believe lower than them.

While I shouldn’t have brought up the holiday pay in this thread, it’s not a simple case of I signed a 25 hour contract so lump it. I am legally entitled to receive my average pay while on holiday, no arguments. If RM deducted 30% of your pay every time you had a week off I wouldn’t say ‘well you signed the contract.’ Anyway eventually holiday pay will be resolved and ironically the money RM will have to pay out in my opinion will lead to financial problems and job losses.

Once again for the record I am happy to receive £130 bonus. And I’m glad Rico has gone.

Rico

19 May 2020, 17:06

Get a ft job somewhere where youlle be happy rather than blame everyone else.

Rico

19 May 2020, 18:20

Chelseablue wrote:Get a ft job somewhere where youlle be happy rather than blame everyone else.

I didn't like my old job, so I got a new one. Easy. If only some of the 'old timers' knew how easy it is to do...

(I don't care that Rico has gone. The king is dead, long live the king.)

Rico

19 May 2020, 18:26

HTPostman wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:
HTPostman wrote:

I’m not blaming FT staff, just pointing out why PT staff might be irked. As I have said numerous times I have no beef against FT staff when it comes to hours. My only ‘beef’ against FTers is when they use underhand tactics against those they believe lower than them.

While I shouldn’t have brought up the holiday pay in this thread, it’s not a simple case of I signed a 25 hour contract so lump it. I am legally entitled to receive my average pay while on holiday, no arguments. If RM deducted 30% of your pay every time you had a week off I wouldn’t say ‘well you signed the contract.’ Anyway eventually holiday pay will be resolved and ironically the money RM will have to pay out in my opinion will lead to financial problems and job losses.

Once again for the record I am happy to receive £130 bonus. And I’m glad Rico has gone.

25hrs receive £130?

Rico

19 May 2020, 18:33

probably based on the £200 being for a full timer on 38 hrs. so 25 will be about £130.

Rico

19 May 2020, 18:51

Fdeezy see how you feel after 30 years doing this and get back to me

Rico

19 May 2020, 19:35

Chelseablue wrote:Get a ft job somewhere where youlle be happy rather than blame everyone else.

If you don't like the job just leave.
Now imagine a manager talking to you like that? That's how you sound to me.

Rico

19 May 2020, 19:37

Chelseablue wrote:Fdeezy see how you feel after 30 years doing this and get back to me

In those 30 years, has the job become harder?

Rico

19 May 2020, 20:04

themailman wrote:
Chelseablue wrote:Fdeezy see how you feel after 30 years doing this and get back to me

That's a tough question because there's also the issue that it's a s**t company to work for now so it's more of a chore.

There are some aspects that are harder like longer deliveries and later finishes but there are also some things that are easier like later starts, sequenced mail, shared vans and much better pay.

We tend to look at the past with rose tinted glasses but it's always been a tough physical job.

I would say all in all the toughest this job has been was 2000-2005 ish. Huge amounts of mail un-sequenced, sky mags and phone bills dumped in the middle of a duty you didn’t know on your own in the pre-smartphone age.... 6 days a week.

Rico

19 May 2020, 20:40

Woody Guthrie wrote:
themailman wrote:

That's a tough question because there's also the issue that it's a s**t company to work for now so it's more of a chore.

There are some aspects that are harder like longer deliveries and later finishes but there are also some things that are easier like later starts, sequenced mail, shared vans and much better pay.

We tend to look at the past with rose tinted glasses but it's always been a tough physical job.

I would say all in all the toughest this job has been was 2000-2005 ish. Huge amounts of mail un-sequenced, sky mags and phone bills dumped in the middle of a duty you didn’t know on your own in the pre-smartphone age.... 6 days a week.

I think one of the worst parts of the job now is not working on your own - it can be extremely difficult working with a partner you don't know/like/ etc.
I've covered single van duties before and what a difference.
Ironically, this new single van way of working is probably the single most difficult way of working I've ever experienced.

Rico

19 May 2020, 20:46

Rem the newspapers we had piled at our frames , sky mags were a pain too .

Rico

19 May 2020, 20:50

I think one of the worst parts of the job now is not working on your own - it can be extremely difficult working with a partner you don't know/like/ etc.

I suppose that's one of those "each to their own" things, I've never had a long term partner who I didn't enjoy working with although I've had a few idiots as floaters and reserves. I like van share, I like the company and the banter and the fact that if I'm having an off day I've got someone to rely on to concentrate on the important stuff.

Rico

19 May 2020, 21:11

Woody Guthrie wrote:

I suppose that's one of those "each to their own" things, I've never had a long term partner who I didn't enjoy working with although I've had a few idiots as floaters and reserves. I like van share, I like the company and the banter and the fact that if I'm having an off day I've got someone to rely on to concentrate on the important stuff.

I share this. There is parts of working alone I like, I always find I get round quicker. In a pair there's always gonna be one left standing around coz you're never gonna finish at exactly the same time, it's also easier to sort your van out. My duty is a heavy one and trying to cram all the oversized in for two duties is difficult at times, it can be awkward finding stuff too which costs time. I am missing my partner though. We're good mates and miss the banter and somebody to chat to. I find it difficult to motivate myself to keep going sometimes too without knowing somebody is relying on me to keep going.

Previous page Next page

Page 7 of 8   1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8