not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Life after Royal Mail

08 May 2020, 09:27

sindba wrote:I was astonished when I joined Royal Mail, how insane it all was.
Simple requests like " boss can I start late next Thursday, - docs appt / new boiler installed". "Can I have next Monday off, got a wedding this weekend", ""can I book a week off next month for a mates holiday"
In the real world these are routine, but in Royal Mail the answer is always no and you have play the system.

In any world these requests are routine, and in any world the boss(es) can and will say no, mainly down to the manager's desire to keep it all working smoothly rather than attempting to accommodate all the daily mundane requests of some members of staff.
Or do you think outside "in the real world" such requests are always granted...? :crazy:

Life after Royal Mail

08 May 2020, 10:29

If ever I needed a day off I just find someone to swap with as it's a whole lot easier than asking management. Then again I suppose it's how cooperative your depot and your work colleagues are.

Life after Royal Mail

08 May 2020, 15:36

Grumpyoldmailman wrote:
antcpfc wrote:
Navalron wrote:
blacov wrote:If Royal Mail is finished or you will find difficult to put bread on the table relying on the part time contract I will suggest you try to get a courier work with one of RM's competitors. You will already have delivery knowledge and if you manage to land a job near your place of residence or even better around the area where you used to deliver for Royal Mail you should settle down very quickly and there is no such thing like part time courier work. You will get most likely full time hours. You will work most likely from early hours in the morning until pretty late during the busy times.

Parcelforce full time drivers usually start around 6-7am and finish 3-5pm but it depends on the duty they have. Some if not most used to paid SA. Self employed couriers day is a lot harder they were first to come in and usually one of the last to finish but their workload during Xmas was unbelievable.

I am just saying it could be an option.

Are you seriously telling somebody to leave RM even though it's part time to go and work for a courier firm where you get as low as 60p per parcel delivered and if it's not delivered you don't get paid and it's back in your van the next day for another attempt at delivery. And when I say your van, I mean YOUR VAN, as you need to hire a van, pay for fuel ect. And you have no holiday pay, no sick pay, no pension, no f**k all. And imagine how bad it will be when you get the coronavirus (which the majority of us will need to catch and go through) to get herd immunity when you have no sick pay coming in and you can't claim ssp as a newly qualified self employed person this year. By all means mate go for another job and good luck with that but you would be better, in my humble opinion of staying EXACTLY where you are for the moment because this lockdown ain't going to be over for a couple of years until we get back to beat normality, if we ever do.

My son does. He can earn £250 for a 12 hour shift.

Net or Gross?

Gross. His fuel cost s than£10 a day.He is self employed so after taxes, etc he probably sees £175.Thats three rounds without some paying £1 a parcel. Money is good but obviously no sick pay and you need someone else to cover you when off

Life after Royal Mail

08 May 2020, 16:50

My other half thought bout leaving rm last yr only a few years left though in rm . Aldi and lidl pay gd money and treat staff ok same as costco.

Life after Royal Mail

08 May 2020, 17:43

Tman wrote:
sindba wrote:I was astonished when I joined Royal Mail, how insane it all was.
Simple requests like " boss can I start late next Thursday, - docs appt / new boiler installed". "Can I have next Monday off, got a wedding this weekend", ""can I book a week off next month for a mates holiday"
In the real world these are routine, but in Royal Mail the answer is always no and you have play the system.

In any world these requests are routine, and in any world the boss(es) can and will say no, mainly down to the manager's desire to keep it all working smoothly rather than attempting to accommodate all the daily mundane requests of some members of staff.
Or do you think outside "in the real world" such requests are always granted...? :crazy:

I've done many jobs mate, and in all of them managers will always accommodate routine requests for shift changes, time off etc best they can.

Royal Mail will bend over backwards to be unhelpful, as a matter of policy.

Life after Royal Mail

08 May 2020, 20:27

sindba wrote:
Tman wrote:
sindba wrote:Royal Mail will bend over backwards to be unhelpful, as a matter of policy.

That's an opinion rather than fact (unless you believe nasty vindictive bosses exist only in RM)

Life after Royal Mail

08 May 2020, 21:18

Hi I totally agree.i finished 2 yrs ago best thing I’ve done from the d.o.m to the Lino’s and the back stabing bum licking so called work mates after 24 years of s**t I escaped from it all

Life after Royal Mail

10 May 2020, 11:02

David walters wrote:Hi I totally agree.i finished 2 yrs ago best thing I’ve done from the d.o.m to the Lino’s and the back stabing bum licking so called work mates after 24 years of s**t I escaped from it all

Made my day to see someone with the same opinion. Did nearly as long as you and was starting to think my feelings towards the place were just bitterness and resentfulness.

Tman wrote:In any world these requests are routine, and in any world the boss(es) can and will say no, mainly down to the manager's desire to keep it all working smoothly rather than attempting to accommodate all the daily mundane requests of some members of staff.

Pre 2 to a van requests were more than likely granted as there was a lot more give and take. Post 2 to a van managers became complete ar$eholes on a more regular basis unless of course it was to accommodate their favourites.

sindba wrote:Royal Mail will bend over backwards to be unhelpful, as a matter of policy.

Only place I've worked were management try to sack people as soon as they've started the job.

Tman wrote:
sindba wrote:
Tman wrote:

That's an opinion rather than fact (unless you believe nasty vindictive bosses exist only in RM)

Talking from experience there are substantially more vindictive nasty minded "bosses" in royal fail. You might not be/been but 90-95% of the ones I had dealings with and witnessed were. And going off of conversations I'd had over the years with various union reps they were all the ones who'd spent time learning to be a manager under the guidance of other nasty minded vindictive managers. As the saying goes "an apple doesn't fall far from the tree".

Face it royal fails biggest failing is its inability or refusal to deal with its piss poor egotistical managers. You only have to look at the amount of posts on here or social media over the years to see that its not just hearsay but fact. Royal fail are happy to bring posties in for "bringing the company into disrepute" for saying it as it is online but you never hear of royal fail actually reaching out to someone who's posted up how s**t their lives are being made by some twat of a manager(s) and investigating it.

The grievance procedure is a load of bollocks so a lot of staff just suffer in silence. Fact!

Life after Royal Mail

10 May 2020, 16:51

I don't doubt all that is true, but the OP was harking back (or looking forward) to some mythical world outside of RM where the boss never says no.
"Grass is greener etc"

Life after Royal Mail

12 May 2020, 21:14

i got out of royal mail 18 months ago and just wish i had made the move earlier. its nice not to have to go to work ready for augments with managers every day!

Life after Royal Mail

15 May 2020, 11:45

Yes, IHR due to arthritis 4 years ago this month. Work from home in an online industry now, for far more money but that wasn't the prime motivation at all. The immediate removal of stress, which if I wasn't a reserve would likely have been far less in all honesty, was palpable. Then again, it's quite a lonely life working on your own once you've left as I found I missed the daily BS and banter from colleagues. I am now free from aches and pains as I can still walk a fair distance if I choose to, just not every day and at the pace I did at RM. So for everyday use my joints are fine, but doing the walk 6 days a week exposed the condition I never knew I had until after a couple of years there.

What I will say is that I really appreciate what you guys have been doing during this crisis, the service has been maintained under huge pressure (at least where I live) and I can only imagine the increase in packets at the start when people ordered stuff online they could usually get in shops. Well done!

I only wish that that Rico bloke would grow a pair and forfeit a few million of his last sweat-free payments to be split amongst you lot, you really deserve it. :Applause :Applause

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2