not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Not enough time to complete the workload in

02 May 2020, 18:24

Got told that my hours (part-timer) would be from today:
Start: 9:30am
Finish: 14:15pm and that I will be delivering parcels (including oversize) for 2 duties.

Had 6 packet bags in total (3 per walk), each full to the brim, so in total, well over 80+ packets to deliver plus 5 specials. I didn't actually start delivering until around 11am due to faffing around, trying my best to put each parcel in order.

Managed to get rid of roughly 60 packets, might have been able to do more but as I had no idea where I was going on both duties, I was pretty much blind. Had to cut off at around 2pm and bring back well over 30+ packets, some were tracked but the majority were normal ones.

I'm sorry, but how on earth are Management expecting people to deliver that amount in such a short time? :arrrghhh

02 May 2020, 18:29

You did your best Edward , you can’t do anymore than that . Well done mate :thumbup

02 May 2020, 18:30

I cannot see it working not even for 7 weeks. It was pretty much the same at our office.

You just come in and work your time and go home. No OT being paid anyway.

02 May 2020, 18:32

Please don’t worry it really doesn’t matter as long as you worked your hrs it doesn’t really matter my office failed at least five shrouds of tracked parcels, it’s a big unit

02 May 2020, 18:33

edward918 wrote:Got told that my hours (part-timer) would be from today:
Finish: 14:15pm and that I will be delivering parcels (including oversize) for 2 duties.

Had 6 packet bags in total (3 per walk), each full to the brim, so in total, well over 80+ packets to deliver plus 5 specials. I didn't actually start delivering until around 11am due to faffing around, trying my best to put each parcel in order.

Managed to get rid of roughly 60 packets, might have been able to do more but as I had no idea where I was going on both duties, I was pretty much blind. Had to cut off at around 2pm and bring back well over 30+ packets, some were tracked but the majority were normal ones.

I'm sorry, but how on earth are Management expecting people to deliver that amount in such a short time? :arrrghhh

they can expect what they want but back in the real world , don't worry about it and just do what you can within your hours and then go back :wave , we all knew that there great plan was going to be a nightmare so what doesn't get done is there problem not ours.

02 May 2020, 18:41

We got loads of parcels like Xmas so too start this system on Saturdays is silly.

02 May 2020, 18:41

Don't bother trying to sort parcels in order at the start.

Sort your tracked first, then other parcels sort by street.
Take a couple of bags with you for shorter stretches where you have a few smaller parcels.
Have a set street you start at and have that nearest the vans back door.
Head out to starting street (you should know which will be your first address), and deliver whatever parcels (sorting into order as you go).
As you finish a street, pull your next street nearer the door and sort it into some kind of order (or bag it up if appriopriate).
If you're getting pushed for time, forget anything that isn't a special or tracked.
If you don't know the round, then consider doing all tracked first, then going back doing other parcels if you have time.

It must be said though that the vans the majority of us use for transporting mail to our walks are not fit for the purpose of pure parcel deliveries. They don't have enough space for some of our current volumes (it's damned hard finding stuff you know is there until you've cleared a lot of it), and getting in and out every few seconds isn't doing anyone any good (hence the occasional stroll with a bag of parcels that are in a small area).

Last thing (and most important): you can only do what you can do. Don't rush, and don't panic about not getting finished.

02 May 2020, 19:28

Mark-f got to agree with you on sorting areas into bags and putting in order as you get to start point .one thing i have found that really helps is carpet the back floor of the van it stops everything sliding around got mine brand new out of a skip customer only to happy to help :wave

02 May 2020, 19:33

Similar to me, no OT, here’s your parcels get rid of as many as you can. I’ll echo what others have said - any of the later sections I just put in sacks. Keeps them all together at the back of the van, I can’t stand having to search for 5mins for a parcel.

I wouldn’t worry what you did and didn’t get done, just do your hours and go home. The runners (I saw 2 driving back into the yard at 10.30 and signed out a full 2hrs 30mins early!!!) will end up taking a hell of a lot more when upper management want to know why parcels weren’t cleared yet X amount of staff went home early.

02 May 2020, 21:01

Sounds like you did a pretty good job considering.

02 May 2020, 21:09

Chin up mate, forget about it you did your best that’s all you can do. Your manager who was home by 11am sure as hell wont still be thinking about it.

02 May 2020, 21:10

As previously stated - concentrate on specials and tracked as priority ( same as every day ), it's difficult doing 'parcel runs' esp when most people are used to doing them alongside mail.

I managed around 130 in just under 4 hours but that's over 2 walks I know pretty well ( previously done parcel deliveries for another company and it's a slightly different operation and mindset required ).

Don't beat yourself up over this - it's going to be hard for a while, but eventually it will return to 'normal'.

Hopefully after a few weeks RM will realise that there is so much time wasted and it's an inefficient method esp when taking into acccount we will have 2 days of mail to prep on Monday plus the huge backlog of packets/parcels.

Chin up ( it's all good experience - so I'm told :left: ).

02 May 2020, 21:18

JKSmudge wrote:As previously stated - concentrate on specials and tracked as priority ( same as every day ), it's difficult doing 'parcel runs' esp when most people are used to doing them alongside mail.

I managed around 130 in just under 4 hours but that's over 2 walks I know pretty well ( previously done parcel deliveries for another company and it's a slightly different operation and mindset required ).

Don't beat yourself up over this - it's going to be hard for a while, but eventually it will return to 'normal'.

Hopefully after a few weeks RM will realise that there is so much time wasted and it's an inefficient method esp when taking into acccount we will have 2 days of mail to prep on Monday plus the huge backlog of packets/parcels.

Plus d to d to prep into your frame Monday morning and all on shorter day ( in our office anyway) 7hr 30.

02 May 2020, 21:40

I did manage to complete all the packets I took out but I have done this job when we used to do oversized packet as a driver years ago. So I was aware of the difficulty organising the sheer number of packets in a logical manner in unsuitable transport. Back then I often had to use a crew bus. I stopped doing that because the constant in and out of the van and use of the clutch gave me sciatica, Hope this does not make it return.

02 May 2020, 22:31

I always agree with DOM that il be bringing back non tracked if I struggle for time, but as usually people have been in it’s been much more doable . Agreement is usually 15 packets per hour , but if your just doing them for one walk / area and most are in 80 should be quite doable. But best get assurance you can bring back non tracked if need , otherwise they can take them off you before hand if they don’t want you doing that, so no stress either way

02 May 2020, 23:00

I managed to complete delivery of all my packets today (took me 4 hours) but getting in and out of the van so often is already taking a toll! Also, I had some really small packets and it was soooo ridiculous walking up long paths to deliver packets that are smaller than a bloody letter :roll:
Are we supposed to take such small parcels (they would easily fit in the frame)?
Last edited by annem on 02 May 2020, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

02 May 2020, 23:00

rambo1 wrote:
JKSmudge wrote:As previously stated - concentrate on specials and tracked as priority ( same as every day ), it's difficult doing 'parcel runs' esp when most people are used to doing them alongside mail.

Plus d to d to prep into your frame Monday morning and all on shorter day ( in our office anyway) 7hr 30.

Yes Monday is set as a shorter day in our DO as well. Far as I know the plan was for D2D to all be prepped on Saturdays and no overtime for Saturdays or Mondays. God knows why the CWU agreed to this crazy trial. I think I probably went over duty time today so the perception that posties would be finishing before duty time on Saturdays is ill conceived.

02 May 2020, 23:10

Listen to this whilst the CEO who hides in his humble abode in Switzerland and expects you and I to die for his recompense and has profited at the expense of COVID-19 live the vultures of capitalism do in their ivory towers and lake side homes while we die in the name of profit for capitalist pigs who don't give two figs about you and me. It is not what you or I don't do but the interaction of what we could have done and we could all give some more time for the elderly folk and those in need even talking helps people who else goes round a community? It is time to take stock and it is not the volume of letters packets you deliver but your kindness and humanity to your community and with that will benefit your mind while others will move their counters and buy shares and look how well they have done out of this while screwing us all pity them!

03 May 2020, 00:18

The document that was posted on here said expected delivery rate should be 20 parcels per hour. If you had 3 hours delivery time and got 60 done that’s pretty much spot on. You done all you can, any work left is managements problem not yours, just enjoy your weekend.

03 May 2020, 00:28

Work your hours, take your breaks, and stay safe ( remember to return to the office to use the toilet and wash your hands)

Do not risk your life and do not let these Royal Mail bastards grind you down.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2