not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 18:58

They are stuck indoors to prevent the spread of covid19. It isn’t difficult to understand. I guess some people just want to have an argument.

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 19:10

hero22 wrote:
norris9 wrote:We are key workers for obvious reasons. Imagine you were one of these people stuck indoors with no work and you could not buy anything but food online. These people would all be saying:

"Why aren't there any deliveries happening?, I want my video game, my letters, my NHS medicine, my child's birthday presents, my driver's licence, my passport, my new laptop, my toaster cos my one has just broken and I want some marmite toast!, my light bulbs otherwise I can't see any ruddy thing as they have died, my contact lenses otherwise I can't see any ruddy thing either, I work for the NHS and need to drive to work but can't as I cannaeee seeeee !, I am trying to sell something on ebay to make some money as I am skint because of coronavirus and I can't even send it!!!! why the hell have deliveries been abandoned! why ohh why! this is madness, I cannot do anything. I run an online etsy store but can't send any goods so I have no business and no income - I will starve! I am a solicitor and I can't send my client any important documents!!! What if I need something essential for my disabled daughter!!!!!!! - who decided to switch off the delivery services!!!!!!!!"

....... these are the kinds of things people like you would be saying.

Mate these people stuck in doors unless vulnerable are more than capable of going to the shop and getting their essentials like the rest of us. Instead they are on paid time off by the government and with nothing to spend their dough on so they go online to pass their day. Passports ? new laptop ? new toaster ? video game lol ? Are our lives really that worthless that its ok if we die as long as these people get those little essentials that stop them from getting bored or getting off their lazy arses and getting it themselves . You may enjoy being out in the sun and believing in your own head your essential, your deluded. As soon as this is over Rico will be back on the executive action trail and we will all see how essential we are then. I don't mind if I was really delivering and taking part in a delivery system that is making a difference to the pandemic but at the moment we are a solution to peoples boredom and nothing else.

Spot on.

Royal Mail as soon coronavirus situation is more under control, is clearly slowing down and there is less pressure from government. Rico and his directors will be back to do what have already planned.
What bothers me the most is the attitude of Royal Mail while we are in the thick of pandemic. Surely the revenue must be very healthy now and even taking into account the increased sickness payment they are in comfortable position financially. This is why I am upset that we are working flat out all week long delivering packets to people mostly just enjoying the weather and extra time off in their gardens having no protection and no incentive at all. Even the overtime are severely reduced.

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 20:25

hero22 wrote:Mate these people stuck in doors unless vulnerable are more than capable of going to the shop and getting their essentials like the rest of us. Instead they are on paid time off by the government and with nothing to spend their dough on so they go online to pass their day. Passports ? new laptop ? new toaster ? video game lol ? Are our lives really that worthless that its ok if we die as long as these people get those little essentials that stop them from getting bored or getting off their lazy arses and getting it themselves . You may enjoy being out in the sun and believing in your own head your essential, your deluded. As soon as this is over Rico will be back on the executive action trail and we will all see how essential we are then. I don't mind if I was really delivering and taking part in a delivery system that is making a difference to the pandemic but at the moment we are a solution to peoples boredom and nothing else.

I guess that you've not been paying attention to the news, the UK is under LOCKDOWN all the shops that would sell that sort of thing are CLOSED.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=UK+lockdown

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 23:00

SpacePhoenix wrote:
hero22 wrote:Mate these people stuck in doors unless vulnerable are more than capable of going to the shop and getting their essentials like the rest of us. Instead they are on paid time off by the government and with nothing to spend their dough on so they go online to pass their day. Passports ? new laptop ? new toaster ? video game lol ? Are our lives really that worthless that its ok if we die as long as these people get those little essentials that stop them from getting bored or getting off their lazy arses and getting it themselves . You may enjoy being out in the sun and believing in your own head your essential, your deluded. As soon as this is over Rico will be back on the executive action trail and we will all see how essential we are then. I don't mind if I was really delivering and taking part in a delivery system that is making a difference to the pandemic but at the moment we are a solution to peoples boredom and nothing else.

I guess that you've not been paying attention to the news, the UK is under LOCKDOWN all the shops that would sell that sort of thing are CLOSED.

Your Tesco/sansburys must be s**t cause apart from passports I can get anyone of those items in it. I have been paying attention and have also heard please buy essential items. Is a video game an essential item ?

Your a supporter of a large chunk of the population getting paid to sit at home, purchase what they want online and increase our chances of being exposed ?

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 23:08

[quote="pinstripe"]They are stuck indoors to prevent the spread of covid19. It isn’t difficult to understand. I guess some people just want to have an argument.

There is no argument why people are stuck indoors, to prevent the spread. I think this started out with why are we seen as essential workers which some of us disagree with and some of us agree with. Its strange times and while there are things we deliver that are essential and I feel I'm actually contributing in a positive way, there are mass amounts of junk coming through which is blatantly selfish to buy during these times in my OPINION.

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 23:21

blacov wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
fb1969 wrote:The key workers will be exhausted at the end of the lockdown due to over working.

The non-key workers will be exhausted due to not being used to working.

I am sensing a divide even greater than Brexit by the end of all this.

Myself and a few nhs staff friends find it little unfair that our furloughed friends and partners get still paid while we work hard and get no incentive for it. Just a normal wage. On top of that Royal Mail keep saying they struggling with finances. This is an insult to us with these levels of packets we handle nowadays.

I hate to break it to those 'furloughed', many won't have jobs to go back to; the unemployment after all this is gonna be eye watering. The government is doing the exact opposite of what any government would do in normal times of recession, deliberately sucking growth out of the economy.

Yes it's not ideal working in the current climate, but keeping the company going is far better in the long term.

Key workers

13 Apr 2020, 00:05

hero22 wrote:Your Tesco/sansburys must be s**t cause apart from passports I can get anyone of those items in it. I have been paying attention and have also heard please buy essential items. Is a video game an essential item ?

Your a supporter of a large chunk of the population getting paid to sit at home, purchase what they want online and increase our chances of being exposed ?

Why would someone be going online to get a passport? Once this is all over chances are that unemployment is going to shoot up, with a lot less people having money for going abroad on holiday.

Apart from "express stores" Tescos/Sainsburys/Asdas have sold things like CDs, games, DVDs for over a decade, do keep up.

Some things people will have pre-orderd from sites months ago. People have birthdays where they'd buy things like CDs, games and DVDs.

If someone doesn't have a garden then they can't do much apart from watch TV (crappy at the best of times these days) or watch DVDs/Blurays or play games

Key workers

13 Apr 2020, 00:25

Seymour Buts wrote:
blacov wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
fb1969 wrote:The key workers will be exhausted at the end of the lockdown due to over working.

Myself and a few nhs staff friends find it little unfair that our furloughed friends and partners get still paid while we work hard and get no incentive for it. Just a normal wage. On top of that Royal Mail keep saying they struggling with finances. This is an insult to us with these levels of packets we handle nowadays.

I hate to break it to those 'furloughed', many won't have jobs to go back to; the unemployment after all this is gonna be eye watering. The government is doing the exact opposite of what any government would do in normal times of recession, deliberately sucking growth out of the economy.

Yes it's not ideal working in the current climate, but keeping the company going is far better in the long term.

Well as long as your not one of the one's who will die in doing so but some in the company are at more risk than others!

Key workers

13 Apr 2020, 06:41

We only deliver expired passports anyway. The last time I renewed mine it was delivered by courier , my expired one was returned by RM.

Key workers

13 Apr 2020, 07:20

norris9 wrote:my toaster cos my one has just broken and I want some marmite toast!

We've had to get used to a lot over the past few months, but this is a step too far norris. Don't joke about such things.

Key workers

13 Apr 2020, 09:36

Seymour Buts wrote:
blacov wrote:
rambo1 wrote:

I’m of this opinion as well. I think many are in for a big shock when things start to return to normal. Both those furloughed and those jealous of them may see things playing out differently to what they think. People seem to be of the opinion that “we’ll have a few paid months off in the sun and then all go back to work”. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think many will be doing just that. No way will everything just take off from where it was left. Those in RM (and especially on here) who hate the job and the company may be grateful for what they have, if not it will be an employer’s market so they can easily be replaced by others falling over each other for work.

Key workers

13 Apr 2020, 23:24

SpacePhoenix wrote:
hero22 wrote:Your Tesco/sansburys must be s**t cause apart from passports I can get anyone of those items in it. I have been paying attention and have also heard please buy essential items. Is a video game an essential item ?

Why would someone be going online to get a passport? Once this is all over chances are that unemployment is going to shoot up, with a lot less people having money for going abroad on holiday.

Apart from "express stores" Tescos/Sainsburys/Asdas have sold things like CDs, games, DVDs for over a decade, do keep up.

Some things people will have pre-orderd from sites months ago. People have birthdays where they'd buy things like CDs, games and DVDs.

If someone doesn't have a garden then they can't do much apart from watch TV (crappy at the best of times these days) or watch DVDs/Blurays or play games

Do keep up ? As I said anyone can go to Tesco/Asda etc to purchase CDs, DVDs etc so not sure what I need to keep up with. The passport comment was from a previous post that had relevance in the above post and the amount of stuff coming through at the moment is definitely not down to pre existing orders from months ago.

Key workers

14 Apr 2020, 09:52

Your solution to protecting people from this virus is instead of us delivering to them they should all go to the shops and in-turn pass by other shoppers and shop workers?

Do you not have the opportunity to say no to working?, the Union said they would back your decision if you feel unsafe.

Yes, the job is essential, obviously a lot of what we deliver is non essential items, but if you don't realise we deliver essential items too then I am shocked.

My point was simply to say that it's highly likely all of us will order a non-essential item over the next months and probably already have. So it's a bit hypocritical to say 'why are we delivering these items!' when we are ordering them ourselves.

Key workers

14 Apr 2020, 17:05

Here's a video from a postie called Ry the Guy uploaded to YouTube on Good Friday about life as a postman (keyworker) during the lockdown. Not bad viewing. :cuppa

Day in the life of a Postman / Mailman / Key worker during these crazy times in lockdown. How have Royal Mail adapted work to keep us Postal Workers safe? How does an every day Postie such as myself feel about the current situation?

Key workers

14 Apr 2020, 20:55

Munchboii wrote:
This is a very cynical view point. No need for it actually. This is just a silly conspiracy theory.

Actual reason is that because the supermarkets must stay open for food reasons to feed people. And we are working because many people rely on our mail as they still live in the stone ages. I wonder if 30 years ago before the internet it you doomers would still be saying the same thing that we are not essential ? I doubt it. This is ridiculous argument I am sorry. I suggest you take your head for a walk as it's obviously in a dark place.

Don't you find it ironic though that the most important people in society now are NOT the Bankers, the Entreprenuers, the Hedge Fund Managers, the Heads of Religion or indeed the majority of Politicians (who are just so much extra baggage now). :shock:

Indeed it seems that Doctors & Nurses, Shop Assistants, Lorry Drivers, UNPAID Charity Workers & Volunteers, Bus Drivers and even us Posties are now responsible for keeping Society going! Who'd have thought it? :hmmmm

Perhaps we'll be exempt from the hike in Taxes that's bound to hit everyone (apart from the likes of Branson and the rest of the Tax Dodgers..... even more irony :no no ) after we've all saved the Country, and the Government are trying to find ways to claw back all the cash they've been handing out? :cuppa

Key workers

14 Apr 2020, 20:56

SpacePhoenix wrote:

One word. eBay.

Key workers

14 Apr 2020, 22:14

Dorset Plodder wrote:
Munchboii wrote:
This is a very cynical view point. No need for it actually. This is just a silly conspiracy theory.

Actual reason is that because the supermarkets must stay open for food reasons to feed people. And we are working because many people rely on our mail as they still live in the stone ages. I wonder if 30 years ago before the internet it you doomers would still be saying the same thing that we are not essential ? I doubt it. This is ridiculous argument I am sorry. I suggest you take your head for a walk as it's obviously in a dark place.

Don't you find it ironic though that the most important people in society now are NOT the Bankers, the Entreprenuers, the Hedge Fund Managers, the Heads of Religion or indeed the majority of Politicians (who are just so much extra baggage now). :shock:

Indeed it seems that Doctors & Nurses, Shop Assistants, Lorry Drivers, UNPAID Charity Workers & Volunteers, Bus Drivers and even us Posties are now responsible for keeping Society going! Who'd have thought it? :hmmmm

Perhaps we'll be exempt from the hike in Taxes that's bound to hit everyone (apart from the likes of Branson and the rest of the Tax Dodgers..... even more irony :no no ) after we've all saved the Country, and the Government are trying to find ways to claw back all the cash they've been handing out? :cuppa

This virus is not a leveller though Dorset. All this bull that it doesn't discriminate just cause Boris the buffoon caught it and ended up in intensive care. It's us and all the little people like nurses,shop workers,bus drivers etc that are out there putting ourselves at risk whilst these hedge fund managers,bankers and businessmen put their feet up at home knowing both their health and (hopefully) wealth are ok.

The get out clause to keep these big businesses running is that they adhere to social distancing. Well I had to queue up to get in Morrisons for over half an hour for essentials and was even offered a free hand gel wash and yet inside, there were people bumping into each other with aisles not even more than 2 metres wide and even staff in close proximity talking to each other. It doesn't happen at our depot does it :arrrghhh

Key workers

15 Apr 2020, 18:43

postslippete wrote:
This virus is not a leveller though Dorset. All this bull that it doesn't discriminate just cause Boris the buffoon caught it and ended up in intensive care. It's us and all the little people like nurses,shop workers,bus drivers etc that are out there putting ourselves at risk whilst these hedge fund managers,bankers and businessmen put their feet up at home knowing both their health and (hopefully) wealth are ok.

I agree it's no leveller mate. It disproportionately effects certain sections of Society. Unfortunatelty we're in that section. :shock: We've taken a lot of Social Distancing Measures within our DO but it's still down to EVERY individual to keep their wits about them, and stop crowding each other. I really don't know what's going through some peoples minds when they're all clustered around parcel frames well within the 2m distance? :hmmmm Same goes for the people you meet in the supermarkets who seem to be totally unaware of what's going on! :crazy:

I've noticed a lot of Posties now take one look at the parcels area (with too many sorters) and just go back to their frame and sit down, until they've finished sorting. Perhaps the message is slowly getting through? :cuppa

Key workers

15 Apr 2020, 19:32

Dorset Plodder wrote:
postslippete wrote:

I agree it's no leveller mate. It disproportionately effects certain sections of Society. Unfortunatelty we're in that section. :shock: We've taken a lot of Social Distancing Measures within our DO but it's still down to EVERY individual to keep their wits about them, and stop crowding each other. I really don't know what's going through some peoples minds when they're all clustered around parcel frames well within the 2m distance? :hmmmm Same goes for the people you meet in the supermarkets who seem to be totally unaware of what's going on! :crazy:

I've noticed a lot of Posties now take one look at the parcels area (with too many sorters) and just go back to their frame and sit down, until they've finished sorting. Perhaps the message is slowly getting through? :cuppa

Someone sorts the mail with it we all get it and that someone has no symptoms so it is not a good system is It!

Key workers

15 Apr 2020, 21:24

k979aaa wrote:
Someone sorts the mail with it we all get it and that someone has no symptoms so it is not a good system is It!

My point was: There were too many Posties in the Parcel Sorting Area :thumbdown ..... Now when Posties come from sorting IPS Letters, or prepping their Duty, if they see there's already enough people sorting parcels they don't just join them. :thumbup

I think it's probably just that ingrained habit of rushing around ....... trying to get out the door as quickly as possible ........so you can get finished early. :hmmmm

We have to develop new habits that may be a bit slower but involve Social Distancing and Higher Levels of Hygiene, including the regular cleaning of Worksurfaces, PDAs and Vehicle Surfaces (such as Door Handles, Steering Wheels, Gear Levers and Handbrakes). You shouldn't be cutting corners to save time with these sorts of things. :cuppa

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 3   1, 2, 3