not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE




Key workers

11 Apr 2020, 16:29

What's the difference between a key workers house and a non key worker?
The key workers house will need it's fence painting lawn cutting and the car in the drive will be filthy!
Just a thought as I was delivering today. :hmmmm

Key workers

11 Apr 2020, 16:34

The key workers will be exhausted at the end of the lockdown due to over working.

The non-key workers will be exhausted due to not being used to working.

Key workers

11 Apr 2020, 16:40

fb1969 wrote:The key workers will be exhausted at the end of the lockdown due to over working.

The non-key workers will be exhausted due to not being used to working.

I am sensing a divide even greater than Brexit by the end of all this.

Key workers

11 Apr 2020, 16:46

rambo1 wrote:
fb1969 wrote:The key workers will be exhausted at the end of the lockdown due to over working.

The non-key workers will be exhausted due to not being used to working.

I am sensing a divide even greater than Brexit by the end of all this.



Myself and a few nhs staff friends find it little unfair that our furloughed friends and partners get still paid while we work hard and get no incentive for it. Just a normal wage. On top of that Royal Mail keep saying they struggling with finances. This is an insult to us with these levels of packets we handle nowadays.

Key workers

11 Apr 2020, 17:56

blacov wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
fb1969 wrote:The key workers will be exhausted at the end of the lockdown due to over working.

The non-key workers will be exhausted due to not being used to working.

I am sensing a divide even greater than Brexit by the end of all this.



Myself and a few nhs staff friends find it little unfair that our furloughed friends and partners get still paid while we work hard and get no incentive for it. Just a normal wage. On top of that Royal Mail keep saying they struggling with finances. This is an insult to us with these levels of packets we handle nowadays.


I think the majority of people would LOVE to be able to work . . . apart from the obvious huge extra health risk it brings with it!

I dont worry about the fact some are at home and being paid for it, but i do think we should get some sort of bonus at some point for having to put ourselves at extra risk.

Key workers

11 Apr 2020, 18:06

Has anyone been out delivering the thousands of PPE that the NHS or care workers need??

If not then why exactly is our job essential to the public health and safety to people during the Corona virus? People can buy their own face masks and gloves from b&m or whatever. We are not exactly delivering food and essential medicines.

I'm not lazy or anything as I enjoy working for Royal Mail. I just wondered why we were key workers that's all.

Key workers

11 Apr 2020, 19:19

mjd24 wrote:
blacov wrote:
rambo1 wrote:
fb1969 wrote:The key workers will be exhausted at the end of the lockdown due to over working.

The non-key workers will be exhausted due to not being used to working.

I am sensing a divide even greater than Brexit by the end of all this.



Myself and a few nhs staff friends find it little unfair that our furloughed friends and partners get still paid while we work hard and get no incentive for it. Just a normal wage. On top of that Royal Mail keep saying they struggling with finances. This is an insult to us with these levels of packets we handle nowadays.


I think the majority of people would LOVE to be able to work . . . apart from the obvious huge extra health risk it brings with it!

I dont worry about the fact some are at home and being paid for it, but i do think we should get some sort of bonus at some point for having to put ourselves at extra risk.


Majority of people would love to work ? lol. If my round today was anything to go by today no chance. Barbeques going, paddling pools out, sun loungers, alcohol flowing. It may be jealousy (it definitely is with me lol) but how the feck is it fair people are lying at home , getting paid a good chunk of their income, most say their mortgages etc have been suspended, getting all their houses and gardens in order, buying every gadget that amazon has to offer and pr**s like us are out delivering it then going home and collapsing after another absurdly busy day, while praying to god we didn't bring the virus home to our loved ones. These chaps with their bills suspended in many cases have the opportunity to put some cash away now for the future, do we ? do we get sheltered from the virus ? Do we get payments suspended ? Don't even get a pair of feckin gloves that fir :evil/mad

Key workers

11 Apr 2020, 19:30

postslippete wrote:Has anyone been out delivering the thousands of PPE that the NHS or care workers need??


Delivered scrubs to a doctor during the week, he must have got fed up waiting and bought his own, so it's not all junk.

Key workers

11 Apr 2020, 20:15

My thoughts on a couple of things here.

I can see why somepeople identify us as key workers. What they do not see is what we are really delivering during the crisis. Garden plants, garden plants, garden plants. HCT this morning about a third of one side filled up with plants for one address. One bloody address. I am risking my neck for selfish (pick expletive) who care more about their sodding garden than my health. That is the sort of stuff that no way should we be delivering. Another house has had branded clothes parcels most days this week. It really riles me when people are thanking me for a doing a good job at the moment and I have just delivered this sort of stuff to them.

This however is all good for Royal Mail - they look good - they are able to keep operating a business that is able to profit from the postage of goods that people can't buy in shops at the moment. Under the auspices of being a critical service. Hypocracy in the extreme.

As for running out of money - they are still raking in revenue - I doubt that their operating capital is much diminished. If it were to collapse the government would come charging to the rescue, our jobs would not be effected just the shareholders profit and investment.

Forgive me for being cynical but as I see it they are using the "key worker" status as a screen to maximise profits with scant regards to the wellbeing of the workforce.

Key workers

11 Apr 2020, 20:54

Aardvark wrote:Forgive me for being cynical but as I see it they are using the "key worker" status as a screen to maximise profits with scant regards to the wellbeing of the workforce.


Absolutely nothing cynical about that, realistic is more accurate.

Key workers

11 Apr 2020, 22:12

Surely its obvious the reason the government want us to keep working is because as they pay 90% of the population to sit at home they are then spending money to prevent them having to pay a further 5% say of people in the warehouse/delivery side of business to do the same while also saving many companies going under and also creating a lot of revenue for some thus leading back to higher profits leading to obviously higher tax to go back to the government themselves

Thats the only reason were seen as key workers to keep people buying stuff to perhaps prevent them going out more through boredom and keep many millions of pounds of money still travelling through the system

That been said also cant help but feel peed off that almost all Key workers are low income workers earning less then most sat at home and been put at an increased risk as sadly probably seen as more disposable as some one can always fill your boots and our reward for that will be having to help pay back a massive national debt that we have absolutely zero benefit from

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 02:47

Key Workers will be the transmission route through to others so is in fact it is an inevitability you will pass it on to your nearest and dearest we are just serving our nations greed for something to do while they are protected in a bubble till they can risk their own lives!

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 09:49

The reason we are classed as key workers, as Paul1231 noted above, is to prevent the majority of the population from exposing themselves to the virus by maintaining social distancing.

Think about it, no lock down and we have increased infection rate, increased pressure on the health service and thereby an increased mortality rate. The downside is that we are now at greater risk of contracting and passing on the virus. The difference is that we, as low skilled workers, and I include those working in retail and to an extent those in distribution, are easily replaceable. While we are being classed as essential, what is implied is that we are in fact, expendable. That’s why we wear red shirts.

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 15:06

pinstripe wrote:The reason we are classed as key workers, as Paul1231 noted above, is to prevent the majority of the population from exposing themselves to the virus by maintaining social distancing.

Think about it, no lock down and we have increased infection rate, increased pressure on the health service and thereby an increased mortality rate. The downside is that we are now at greater risk of contracting and passing on the virus. The difference is that we, as low skilled workers, and I include those working in retail and to an extent those in distribution, are easily replaceable. While we are being classed as essential, what is implied is that we are in fact, expendable. That’s why we wear red shirts.


Yep his right :pray

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 15:28

pinstripe wrote:The reason we are classed as key workers, as Paul1231 noted above, is to prevent the majority of the population from exposing themselves to the virus by maintaining social distancing.

Think about it, no lock down and we have increased infection rate, increased pressure on the health service and thereby an increased mortality rate. The downside is that we are now at greater risk of contracting and passing on the virus. The difference is that we, as low skilled workers, and I include those working in retail and to an extent those in distribution, are easily replaceable. While we are being classed as essential, what is implied is that we are in fact, expendable. That’s why we wear red shirts.


This is a very cynical view point. No need for it actually. This is just a silly conspiracy theory.

Actual reason is that because the supermarkets must stay open for food reasons to feed people. And we are working because many people rely on our mail as they still live in the stone ages. I wonder if 30 years ago before the internet it you doomers would still be saying the same thing that we are not essential ? I doubt it. This is ridiculous argument I am sorry. I suggest you take your head for a walk as it's obviously in a dark place.

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 16:55

-I am happy to be out the house and in the sunny weather for 4 to 5 hours.

-I am happy that the company I work for isn't shutdown and at risk of going bust so I still have a job.

-I wouldn't mind a gesture of goodwill from RM for working during this time. Especially if they are seeing increased profits.

-But maybe it's more likely it will be the customers that offer the gesture of goodwill with more generous Xmas tips this year.

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 17:07

We are key workers for obvious reasons. Imagine you were one of these people stuck indoors with no work and you could not buy anything but food online. These people would all be saying:

"Why aren't there any deliveries happening?, I want my video game, my letters, my NHS medicine, my child's birthday presents, my driver's licence, my passport, my new laptop, my toaster cos my one has just broken and I want some marmite toast!, my light bulbs otherwise I can't see any ruddy thing as they have died, my contact lenses otherwise I can't see any ruddy thing either, I work for the NHS and need to drive to work but can't as I cannaeee seeeee !, I am trying to sell something on ebay to make some money as I am skint because of coronavirus and I can't even send it!!!! why the hell have deliveries been abandoned! why ohh why! this is madness, I cannot do anything. I run an online etsy store but can't send any goods so I have no business and no income - I will starve! I am a solicitor and I can't send my client any important documents!!! What if I need something essential for my disabled daughter!!!!!!! - who decided to switch off the delivery services!!!!!!!!"

....... these are the kinds of things people like you would be saying.

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 17:16

Munchboii wrote:
pinstripe wrote:The reason we are classed as key workers, as Paul1231 noted above, is to prevent the majority of the population from exposing themselves to the virus by maintaining social distancing.

Think about it, no lock down and we have increased infection rate, increased pressure on the health service and thereby an increased mortality rate. The downside is that we are now at greater risk of contracting and passing on the virus. The difference is that we, as low skilled workers, and I include those working in retail and to an extent those in distribution, are easily replaceable. While we are being classed as essential, what is implied is that we are in fact, expendable. That’s why we wear red shirts.


This is a very cynical view point. No need for it actually. This is just a silly conspiracy theory.

Actual reason is that because the supermarkets must stay open for food reasons to feed people. And we are working because many people rely on our mail as they still live in the stone ages. I wonder if 30 years ago before the internet it you doomers would still be saying the same thing that we are not essential ? I doubt it. This is ridiculous argument I am sorry. I suggest you take your head for a walk as it's obviously in a dark place.


His argument makes a lot of sense , not really sure what 30 years ago has got to do with it. As you say supermarkets stay open and we deliver mail. We are also low skilled and replaceable.

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 18:03

Munchboii wrote:
pinstripe wrote:The reason we are classed as key workers, as Paul1231 noted above, is to prevent the majority of the population from exposing themselves to the virus by maintaining social distancing.

Think about it, no lock down and we have increased infection rate, increased pressure on the health service and thereby an increased mortality rate. The downside is that we are now at greater risk of contracting and passing on the virus. The difference is that we, as low skilled workers, and I include those working in retail and to an extent those in distribution, are easily replaceable. While we are being classed as essential, what is implied is that we are in fact, expendable. That’s why we wear red shirts.


This is a very cynical view point. No need for it actually. This is just a silly conspiracy theory.

Actual reason is that because the supermarkets must stay open for food reasons to feed people. And we are working because many people rely on our mail as they still live in the stone ages. I wonder if 30 years ago before the internet it you doomers would still be saying the same thing that we are not essential ? I doubt it. This is ridiculous argument I am sorry. I suggest you take your head for a walk as it's obviously in a dark place.

I suggest that you actually read the post

Key workers

12 Apr 2020, 18:28

norris9 wrote:We are key workers for obvious reasons. Imagine you were one of these people stuck indoors with no work and you could not buy anything but food online. These people would all be saying:

"Why aren't there any deliveries happening?, I want my video game, my letters, my NHS medicine, my child's birthday presents, my driver's licence, my passport, my new laptop, my toaster cos my one has just broken and I want some marmite toast!, my light bulbs otherwise I can't see any ruddy thing as they have died, my contact lenses otherwise I can't see any ruddy thing either, I work for the NHS and need to drive to work but can't as I cannaeee seeeee !, I am trying to sell something on ebay to make some money as I am skint because of coronavirus and I can't even send it!!!! why the hell have deliveries been abandoned! why ohh why! this is madness, I cannot do anything. I run an online etsy store but can't send any goods so I have no business and no income - I will starve! I am a solicitor and I can't send my client any important documents!!! What if I need something essential for my disabled daughter!!!!!!! - who decided to switch off the delivery services!!!!!!!!"

....... these are the kinds of things people like you would be saying.


Mate these people stuck in doors unless vulnerable are more than capable of going to the shop and getting their essentials like the rest of us. Instead they are on paid time off by the government and with nothing to spend their dough on so they go online to pass their day. Passports ? new laptop ? new toaster ? video game lol ? Are our lives really that worthless that its ok if we die as long as these people get those little essentials that stop them from getting bored or getting off their lazy arses and getting it themselves . You may enjoy being out in the sun and believing in your own head your essential, your deluded. As soon as this is over Rico will be back on the executive action trail and we will all see how essential we are then. I don't mind if I was really delivering and taking part in a delivery system that is making a difference to the pandemic but at the moment we are a solution to peoples boredom and nothing else.

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 3   1, 2, 3