not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Can I refuse to deliver to second home owners?

05 Apr 2020, 16:42

kingofdonair wrote:I deliver to a couple of seaside villages that are starting to see second home owners turn up despite government advice. Can I refuse to deliver? They are a risk compared to the locals, I'm not to keen on touching their gates and doors etc. And I fell like they should be ostracised anyway.

Definitely don't deliver if it is a second home owned by Scotland's Chief Medical Officer, Catherine Calderwood. What an absolute plank she is.

05 Apr 2020, 16:45

Would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the cops turned up at her house which ever one it was!

05 Apr 2020, 17:12

This whole thread got me thinking how do you insure your car with two addressees how do you update your driving licence do you get a discount for multi homes insurance? what do you do with them when your not residing in them rent them out do you pay tax on that? Is it no wonder their is a housing crisis? As to the OP sorry for any offence by saying XENOPHOBIA but we have gained so much insight how some very privileged people flout the rules made by them for us which do not apply to them!

05 Apr 2020, 17:25

k979aaa wrote:This whole thread got me thinking how do you insure your car with two addressees how do you update your driving licence do you get a discount for multi homes insurance? what do you do with them when your not residing in them rent them out do you pay tax on that? Is it no wonder their is a housing crisis? As to the OP sorry for any offence by saying XENOPHOBIA but we have gained so much insight how some very privileged people flout the rules made by them for us which do not apply to them!

If renting them out then they should declare the income to the tax man, there's loads of second homes in my area some are holiday lets fair enough at least they provide a purpose, the others you might see people in them for one or two weeks a year if that! They are all full now though as the rich are escaping from the Cities.

05 Apr 2020, 17:33

I’ve noticed it on My round.Houses that have been empty since last summer suddenly I’m going there with a BT hub marked safeplace.Couple of days later family of 4 + living there :arrrghhh .

05 Apr 2020, 17:36

sorefeet17 wrote:
k979aaa wrote:This whole thread got me thinking how do you insure your car with two addressees how do you update your driving licence do you get a discount for multi homes insurance? what do you do with them when your not residing in them rent them out do you pay tax on that? Is it no wonder their is a housing crisis? As to the OP sorry for any offence by saying XENOPHOBIA but we have gained so much insight how some very privileged people flout the rules made by them for us which do not apply to them!

If renting them out then they should declare the income to the tax man, there's loads of second homes in my area some are holiday lets fair enough at least they provide a purpose, the others you might see people in them for one or two weeks a year if that! They are all full now though as the rich are escaping from the Cities.

Most of them probably went to the cheltenham festival and are distributing it about here there and every where. Do you really think they would declare other income? Should second homes be banned?

05 Apr 2020, 17:58

k979aaa wrote:
sorefeet17 wrote:

Most of them probably went to the cheltenham festival and are distributing it about here there and every where. Do you really think they would declare other income? Should second homes be banned?

They would just find loopholes to get around any ban, put house in partners name or say it's a holiday let and get some friends to pretend to rent it out.

05 Apr 2020, 18:29

sorefeet17 wrote:
k979aaa wrote:
sorefeet17 wrote:

They would just find loopholes to get around any ban, put house in partners name or say it's a holiday let and get some friends to pretend to rent it out.

But given the restrictions not be able to travel to it. but in any case it does beg the question are some people earning too much? I know their are some wasters on the streets who never wanted to work but most would like a job a home and a life even if they have other problems like drink drugs and mental health issues we need a better society after this challenge to us all.

05 Apr 2020, 19:23

Don't worry about calling me a Xenophobe. I've been called much worse :-D
I will be reporting them to the local council tomorrow as they have asked people to do this. Im down in Cornwall and we have a higher than average elderly population with a grand total of 17 critical care beds in the Duchy.
Like they keep saying, the virus doesn't move, we move it.
On the subject of second homes. Yes it does make you wonder how much people earn. If your 2nd home is £1 million+ then how much is your London pad? A lot of people do register their cars down here because it's cheaper than London insurance. Another scam is that they are classed as businesses and occasionally rented out. This means they pay very little in business rates and sod all in Council Tax.

05 Apr 2020, 19:27

kingofdonair wrote:Don't worry about calling me a Xenophobe. I've been called much worse :-D
I will be reporting them to the local council tomorrow as they have asked people to do this. Im down in Cornwall and we have a higher than average elderly population with a grand total of 17 critical care beds in the Duchy.
Like they keep saying, the virus doesn't move, we move it.
On the subject of second homes. Yes it does make you wonder how much people earn. If your 2nd home is £1 million+ then how much is your London pad? A lot of people do register their cars down here because it's cheaper than London insurance. Another scam is that they are classed as businesses and occasionally rented out. This means they pay very little in business rates and sod all in Council Tax.

Well you bought me round on your subject and I commend your effort for your community all the best and gods bless!

05 Apr 2020, 20:24

Imagine the scenario: A police car turns up at someone's second home, with Blue Flashing Light for Dramatic Effect. .........

"Evening All, I understand you have chosen to ignore the Government's Health Guidlines and have in fact not isolated yourself in your Family home. On your return from your Holiday in Italy you instead though you'd drive a hundred miles to your second home in this sleepy country village .... stopping at the Local bakers and corner shop to possibly infect others. You have one hour to pack your bags .... return to your Family Home in London .... where one of my colleagues from the Metropolitan Police will be round within 24 hours to check you've arrived there, and are in fact self isolating .... If you chose to disregard this request we will self isolate you in one of Her Majesty's Prisons .... there's a lot more room in them now.... Goodday"!

Now that would be interesting to watch. :cuppa

05 Apr 2020, 22:01

kingofdonair wrote: A lot of people do register their cars down here because it's cheaper than London insurance.

So you are saying people who own a £1M Cornwall home and presumably a £1M London home register their car insurance in Cornwall to save £100 a year?

I see, yes of course.

You do seem to be very prejudiced against second home owners as do a lot of people in Cornwall. I can understand the local issues caused (mainly higher house prices) but three points to remember.

-If you had the money you'd have a second home, maybe in Spain.
-Cornwall would be an impoverished backwater with very much higher unemployment if it wasn't for holiday makers from the rest of the country and London visiting and spending their money there.
-Just as you have the legal and moral right right to buy a London flat, Londoners have the same rights to buy a house in Cornwall, so why the double standards? Have you seen how badly London house market is suffering from incomers? Tens of thousands of Londoners leave London each year as they can't afford to live there anymore. That's life, it's not all a bed of roses.

06 Apr 2020, 06:53

meercat wrote:
kingofdonair wrote: A lot of people do register their cars down here because it's cheaper than London insurance.

So you are saying people who own a £1M Cornwall home and presumably a £1M London home register their car insurance in Cornwall to save £100 a year?

I see, yes of course.

You do seem to be very prejudiced against second home owners as do a lot of people in Cornwall. I can understand the local issues caused (mainly higher house prices) but three points to remember.

-If you had the money you'd have a second home, maybe in Spain.
-Cornwall would be an impoverished backwater with very much higher unemployment if it wasn't for holiday makers from the rest of the country and London visiting and spending their money there.
-Just as you have the legal and moral right right to buy a London flat, Londoners have the same rights to buy a house in Cornwall, so why the double standards? Have you seen how badly London house market is suffering from incomers? Tens of thousands of Londoners leave London each year as they can't afford to live there anymore. That's life, it's not all a bed of roses.

Theres a difference between holiday makers and second home owners, Cornwall had holiday makers before all the second home owners bought half the county, second home owners don't bring in much money if they only use a property for one or two weeks a year! village shops and pubs close because half the properties are empty of people.
Spain doesn't have a housing crisis apart from some large cities, and personally I still wouldn't buy a second home there or anywhere.
If there was enough affordable housing for everyone second homes wouldn't be so much of an issue.

06 Apr 2020, 09:07

k979aaa wrote:[but in any case it does beg the question are some people earning too much? I know their are some wasters on the streets who never wanted to work but most would like a job a home and a life even if they have other problems like drink drugs and mental health issues we need a better society after this challenge to us all.

And you can solve all those perennial issues by making sure some people don't earn too much? :shock:

06 Apr 2020, 09:23

Starting to veer off topic a bit but I don't accept the often quoted claim that ''without tourism these places would be impoverished backwaters''... even with tourism these places are essentially still impoverished backwaters.

I'm a firm believer that the so called ''economic benefits'' of tourism in general are greatly over exaggerated and are usually just spouted by the very small number of vested interests (tourism related business owners) who do happen to make a very comfortable living from the tourists they cater for.

For the vast majority of locals in tourist hotspots all tourism offers is a few crappy part time, seasonal, minimum wage jobs that pay little more than pocket money, mostly for students or semi-retired types... whilst the socio-economic downsides of tourism are many and varied, number one being hugely inflated local house prices thanks to all the holiday home/holiday let buyers.

Someone on a full time postman's wage would probably be classed a ''middle earner'' in my particular location, yet even so average local house prices are over 8x my gross pay.

Anyway back on topic... https://nation.cymru/news/second-home-o ... hem-times/

06 Apr 2020, 13:16

wacko74 wrote:
As for the supposedly ''valid'' reasons that you're desperately trying to offer, I think you're demonstrating that the real problem today is actually too much misguided and misplaced compassion... usually displayed by weak minded and gullible liberal types who for whatever reason find themselves insulated from the realities of life and allow themselves to be brainwashed into being the modern day ''useful idiots'' of the Corporatists and Globalists who are doing so much damage to the vast majority of society whilst enhancing the wealth of the wealthiest few.

Thank you for that valuable insight into your user name.
I'll tell you what Negan - you keep a good hold of Lucille and I will remain faithful to Carl's dream (weak minded and gullible "useful idiots" that we are) and I'll see you at Hilltop.

06 Apr 2020, 13:42

I'm used to seeing the word liberal used as a pejorative term, to be honest it's a right wing American thing and I don't think most of the people using it in the UK actually use it properly or understand what liberal means so I'll let that pass.

I have to say though that's the first time I've seen compassion used in that way. That's a new low in a low bar world.

Compassion... misguided and misplaced.
Jesus wept.
Obviously he was the first gullible liberal with misguided and misplaced compassion.

06 Apr 2020, 14:33

clashcityrocker wrote:Thank you for that valuable insight into your user name.
I'll tell you what Negan - you keep a good hold of Lucille and I will remain faithful to Carl's dream (weak minded and gullible "useful idiots" that we are) and I'll see you at Hilltop.

I like the TWD references clash. :thumbup It's not quite that bad at the moment but give it a few more months of lockdown. It's a good job we don't bear arms in this country, or people would be really losing it at the supermarkets! :cuppa

06 Apr 2020, 18:39

wacko74 wrote:
I'm a firm believer that the so called ''economic benefits'' of tourism in general are greatly over exaggerated

Well look at it this way, 25% of the GDP of Cornwall is provided by tourists. And 1 in 5 jobs are provided by the tourist industry.

The significance would be hard to exaggerate for Cornwall. Remove that and the job losses would be 20X more per capita for the people of Cornwall than the loss of the miners jobs were to the nation of Wales.

Some tourist related jobs are low-paid, (many non-tourist jobs are low paid) some are seasonal, some a well paid and year round. Some jobs are hotel managers, surf instructing, camp site owners, running a cafe, a pottery, running a B and B, teaching survival skills or taking people trekking on horseback - these are DREAM jobs for a lot of people.

A job is a job at the end of the day and with a minimum wage and in-work benefits available any job is better than sitting on the dole with no future in a forgotten corner of England. Many such places exist.

You can't buy a house in Cornwall (or much of the country for that matter) with a low paid job sure, you also can't buy a house with no job so the overall impact of second home owners and tourists (the two go hand in hand and are inseparable) is not black and white.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2