not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE




Lost PDA

05 Apr 2020, 00:21

As Janet says, I keep mine in my trouser/shorts pocket. Storm jacket pocket if exceptionally rainy.
Don't find it cumbersome, and is a matter of habit to replace back there. Lift/Scan/Sign/Replace.
A couple of times I have placed the PDA on another surface and almost forgot to lift again. Only negative I've found with keeping in pockets is that they wear though quicker!

Lost PDA

05 Apr 2020, 07:44

I use the shoulder strap you soon get use to it i was forever losing mine leaving on the van roof was a favourite place

Lost PDA

05 Apr 2020, 16:45

What is this shoulder strap you are all talking about? We dont have them at our office! Sounds like it could actually be usefull!

Lost PDA

05 Apr 2020, 16:51

da'bunny wrote:What is this shoulder strap you are all talking about? We dont have them at our office! Sounds like it could actually be usefull!


See this old thread (picture there as well):

https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communi ... =1&t=82830

You can still get them, get your management/DOM support to order them, they have to be ordered against a PDA number I think.

Lost PDA

05 Apr 2020, 16:56

Mick100 wrote:I use the shoulder strap you soon get use to it i was forever losing mine leaving on the van roof was a favourite place

Box of specials on the roof comes to mind as did a bundle of letters!

Lost PDA

05 Apr 2020, 19:29

p5aul789 wrote:I'll have to find a way to tie it to my wrist.

This raises the question about the strap that's attached to the back of the PDA. You know, the one with the stylus tied to it? Was your PDA equipped with the strap or did it not have one? I ask this because many posties carry their PDA on their wrist or arm using the attached strap. Others like myself prefer the belt holster and remove the PDA strap and stylus by unclipping it from the battery slot which allows the PDA to fit into the holster easier. The stylus can be carried separately or customers can use their finger, which most don't mind doing. (But not during this COVID-19 crisis of course; we do the signing ourselves at the moment.)

Lost PDA

05 Apr 2020, 19:39

PostmanBitesDog wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:I'll have to find a way to tie it to my wrist.

This raises the question about the strap that's attached to the back of the PDA. You know, the one with the stylus tied to it? Was your PDA equipped with the strap or did it not have one? I ask this because many posties carry their PDA on their wrist or arm using the attached strap. Others like myself prefer the belt holster and remove the PDA strap and stylus by unclipping it from the battery slot which allows the PDA to fit into the holster easier. The stylus can be carried separately or customers can use their finger, which most don't mind doing. (But not during this COVID-19 crisis of course; we do the signing ourselves at the moment.)

Did it have a strap on or not for that is the question for whether it has one on is better for all mankind for is it better with one off and would you admit if you had a strap on?

Lost PDA

05 Apr 2020, 20:16

k979aaa wrote:
PostmanBitesDog wrote:
p5aul789 wrote:I'll have to find a way to tie it to my wrist.

This raises the question about the strap

Did it have a strap on or not for that is the question for whether it has one on is better for all mankind for is it better with one off and would you admit if you had a strap on?

Mine comes with a whip. And I cry out, "A PDA! A PDA! My kingdom for a PDA!". :cool (The fault, dear posties, lies not within the lost PDA, but in ourselves, that we are underlings.)

Lost PDA

05 Apr 2020, 20:20

ssdd wrote:I keep mine in my trouser/shorts pocket

And then the female customers ask, "Is that a PDA in your trouser pocket or are you just happy to see me?" :left:

(Yeah, yeah, okay. Grabbing my coat.) :neutral:

Lost PDA

05 Apr 2020, 20:37

Your manager should be able to use the information from the GPS tracking and pinpoint where the PDA stopped moving. Then with that information you can return to that place and see if you can find it. I use the strap from the holster which I thread through the hand strap and then carry it over my shoulder (like a bag). I don't use the holster because it is timecomsuming putting it into the holster, also the device then becomes too wide for my hand to operate it.I hope this helps

Lost PDA

06 Apr 2020, 15:50

When we get back, we do all our tasks, charge the pda and go home..... then we get 10+ agency workers , they take any pda, any van, anyones bags and throw the whole sterile and secure operation in the air! Next morning you are looking for spare bags, where is the van parked, cleaning every area etc. :arrrghhh

Lost PDA

06 Apr 2020, 16:25

Once found a PDA in that gap where the window wipers sit, gave it in & was told it had not been used for over 6 months, in that time the van had been MOT'ed & been to the workshop quite a few times :shock:

Lost PDA

07 Apr 2020, 14:12

get manager / dom sunspot to phone IT ( number on side of PDA's)
they can then do a GPS ,location scan as long as battery has any charge

Lost PDA

07 Apr 2020, 15:09

PostmanBitesDog wrote:
ssdd wrote:I keep mine in my trouser/shorts pocket

And then the female customers ask, "Is that a PDA in your trouser pocket or are you just happy to see me?" :left:


Then I say, "Just wait till you see the size of the package I have for you". :cool

Lost PDA

10 Apr 2020, 15:28

Do a Google search for the PDA, find out what they really cost and then ask them if Royal mail insures their assets, then they will rescind their idle threats

Lost PDA

10 Apr 2020, 16:39

8blackmoor@gmail.com wrote:Do a Google search for the PDA, find out what they really cost and then ask them if Royal mail insures their assets, then they will rescind their idle threats

Just googled one seller which lists the RRP as being £1860.87 (excluding VAT). RM will have paid less then that as they will have got a discount for a bulk purchase. From a bit more googling there's around 60,000 walks in the UK, so that's potentially 60,000 PDAs. You've then got on top of that PDAs used in MCs for Tracked and traffic recording (collections as well?)

Lost PDA

10 Apr 2020, 16:47

Certainly dont pay for it

they have insurance

get your rep/area rep involved

you sound "stressed"..... :wink:

Previous page Next page


Page 2 of 2   1, 2