not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Snowed Under! Like Christmas Pressure!

28 Mar 2020, 11:14

steve1873 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
Celgar wrote: Apparently Aylesbury Vale are telling the MC to hold onto the mail and not deliver any more to their DO. In short it's getting bad out there.....

That's going to be down to how much storage capacity the MC has. If they don't have the storage space then they'll have to send it to the DO anyway and if it carries on too long then they'll run out of storage space and again will have to send it to the DO

Well they will need to rent more storage space. Beacuase DO's most definitely do not have the space!

Locally there's no where that they could rent (they're going to struggle as it is to find a new home for a DO that's got to move), so sorry to be so frank but I'm afraid it'll have to be tough luck, it'll get stored in DOs whether you like it or not or have the space or not.

Before we had conveyors in, it might have been possible to move sections around but now there's physically not the space

28 Mar 2020, 11:49

SpacePhoenix wrote:
steve1873 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
Celgar wrote: Apparently Aylesbury Vale are telling the MC to hold onto the mail and not deliver any more to their DO. In short it's getting bad out there.....

That's going to be down to how much storage capacity the MC has. If they don't have the storage space then they'll have to send it to the DO anyway and if it carries on too long then they'll run out of storage space and again will have to send it to the DO

Well they will need to rent more storage space. Beacuase DO's most definitely do not have the space!

Locally there's no where that they could rent (they're going to struggle as it is to find a new home for a DO that's got to move), so sorry to be so frank but I'm afraid it'll have to be tough luck, it'll get stored in DOs whether you like it or not or have the space or not.

Before we had conveyors in, it might have been possible to move sections around but now there's physically not the space

So DO's will have to what? Leave it outside or on the roof? Get real. There will be somewhere to rent for storage. It would be wholly irresponsible for RM not to have contingencies in place to store overflow.

28 Mar 2020, 12:26

Ren Hoëk wrote:There will be somewhere to rent for storage. It would be wholly irresponsible for RM not to have contingencies in place to store overflow.

Dream on. :cuppa There's no where around here suitable for the storage of mail. One of the local DOs has got to move within the next couple of years, it HAS to move and they've not got anywhere for it to move to yet, so how the hell do you expect RM to be able to find extra places around town to store mail

28 Mar 2020, 13:33

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:There will be somewhere to rent for storage. It would be wholly irresponsible for RM not to have contingencies in place to store overflow.

Dream on. :cuppa There's no where around here suitable for the storage of mail. One of the local DOs has got to move within the next couple of years, it HAS to move and they've not got anywhere for it to move to yet, so how the hell do you expect RM to be able to find extra places around town to store mail

So just leave it outside then? :nana When was the last time you visited a DO? There will definitely be somewhere to rent to store it. They will HAVE to find somewhere. No if's or buts about it because DO's certainly don't have the capacity for it. They could utilise schools sports halls if needs be.

There will be contingency planning for this and discussions will already have been had about it.

28 Mar 2020, 14:14

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Munchboii wrote:Then the CSS machines run on the late shift and sequenced mail is brought down in the afternoon ready for us in the morning. :crazy:

I wonder how long it'll be before MCs and MPUs all revert to walk sort only. It would mean less staff needed on wave 1 at least, if wave 2 were made to finish later then they could do the same on wave 2, freeing up more staff for the packets and Tracked (maybe SD lockers if some of the mech staff are also SD locker trained)

All that will do is move the bottleneck on to deliveries and at present, I don't know of any DO that is running at 100%. It really is a different world.

28 Mar 2020, 14:16

Ren Hoëk wrote:They could utilise schools sports halls if needs be.

Not an option:

1) The ones that would have large enough halls will be in use for the kids of key workers
2) The halls would have to be capable of being secure enough
3) They'd have to be accessible by RM at any time of the day (which won't be possible because of noise pollution regs)
3) They'd have to be able to handle a 7.5ton lorry minimum
4) We don't have the drivers to be able to use any storage site external to the MC apart from DOs

28 Mar 2020, 14:25

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
Munchboii wrote:Then the CSS machines run on the late shift and sequenced mail is brought down in the afternoon ready for us in the morning. :crazy:

I wonder how long it'll be before MCs and MPUs all revert to walk sort only. It would mean less staff needed on wave 1 at least, if wave 2 were made to finish later then they could do the same on wave 2, freeing up more staff for the packets and Tracked (maybe SD lockers if some of the mech staff are also SD locker trained)

All that will do is move the bottleneck on to deliveries and at present, I don't know of any DO that is running at 100%. It really is a different world.

MCs are already having to completely fail whole sections through lack of staff. Can only be a matter of time before every MC cut the number of selections down to 1 per physical office to better enable the 2m rule. People in DOs seem to forget that MCs as well as dealing with mail coming into their area, they're also having to deal with mail leaving the area. For a night shift in a MC chances are that at the start of a shift that all storage space will already be full up with 2C and with inward mail that's already arrived. Many MCs cover a much wider area than 10-15 years ago so have more mail to handle. Apart from the very largest MCs (and I have my doubts if they could) string more than the current day's mail is simply not an option.

28 Mar 2020, 15:24

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:They could utilise schools sports halls if needs be.

Not an option:

1) The ones that would have large enough halls will be in use for the kids of key workers
2) The halls would have to be capable of being secure enough
3) They'd have to be accessible by RM at any time of the day (which won't be possible because of noise pollution regs)
3) They'd have to be able to handle a 7.5ton lorry minimum
4) We don't have the drivers to be able to use any storage site external to the MC apart from DOs

Im sure their is an arrangement to be had considering if we are key workers. There will be somewhere to put it.
They are secure enough for children so they will be secure enough for paper. Nothing a security guard wouldn't fix.
Noise and pollution regs will easily be looked past in a time like this.
Im sure there will be schools or units capable of handling a lorry.
If you have a driver to drive to a DO then you have a driver to take it to another location as they wont be going to the DO in the first place.

You are not getting it. They will HAVE to find a solution like this. There is no option other than suspending the mail.

28 Mar 2020, 15:37

Ren Hoëk wrote:They are secure enough for children so they will be secure enough for paper. Nothing a security guard wouldn't fix.

We'll have some hours from deliveries then to pay for the security guard, we've not got the budget to pay for one. You seem to forget that RM doesn't just handle letters, it also handles parcels including SD items, which we'd not have the room to store.

Ren Hoëk wrote:If you have a driver to drive to a DO then you have a driver to take it to another location as they wont be going to the DO in the first place.

To move it in that kind of volume would need a 17.5ton lorry and we don't have enough drivers with the right license.

The schools would have no obligation to make their halls available

28 Mar 2020, 15:57

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:They are secure enough for children so they will be secure enough for paper. Nothing a security guard wouldn't fix.

We'll have some hours from deliveries then to pay for the security guard, we've not got the budget to pay for one. You seem to forget that RM doesn't just handle letters, it also handles parcels including SD items, which we'd not have the room to store.

Ren Hoëk wrote:If you have a driver to drive to a DO then you have a driver to take it to another location as they wont be going to the DO in the first place.

To move it in that kind of volume would need a 17.5ton lorry and we don't have enough drivers with the right license.

Ever considered coming up with some ideas or solutions rather than this constant “cant do this, cant do that, no way that’d work etc etc” ?

28 Mar 2020, 16:00

SpacePhoenix wrote:

RM would provide the budget. This is not a normal situation. Extra funds would be found to find solutions for this problem.
Il repeat again though. If its safe enough for children, Its safe enough for WHATEVER we handle.

Though they would have no obligation i'm sure an arrangement could be found. If not another suitable location will have to be found. Also, If a RM driver couldn't be found then it would have to be subtracted.

Understand the word HAVE. They will HAVE to find a solution to this.

28 Mar 2020, 16:22

Ren Hoëk wrote:Il repeat again though. If its safe enough for children, Its safe enough for WHATEVER we handle.

Wrong! To be suitable for use by RM it needs to have proper security fencing around it and controls over who can enter the building. That's something that very few if any schools will have

28 Mar 2020, 17:36

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Ren Hoëk wrote:Il repeat again though. If its safe enough for children, Its safe enough for WHATEVER we handle.

Wrong! To be suitable for use by RM it needs to have proper security fencing around it and controls over who can enter the building. That's something that very few if any schools will have

All 4 of the schools I deliver to have exactly that in place during normal times.

However, it's probably more efficient to approach businesses that are currently closed and hire space from them, where appropriate and safe. They use outhouses at Christmas, in this situation the same plans could be used.

28 Mar 2020, 18:15

SpacePhoenix wrote:

Every school I deliver to has this already. The Dunblane Massacre saw to that. Also, These aren't normal times. Extra ordinary measures could be taken if NEEDS be.

28 Mar 2020, 21:22

In my Area we have the yodel contract and the DX courier contract. On my rural I have been taking Royal Mail, Parcelforce, Yodel and DX parcels. My van the last week has been full to the top and back. The manager said that if the staffing levels were like normal, then they would be bringing in the christmas pressure duties to fix the rounds! However in the mean time we just have to soldier on. Theres also talk about us doing deliveries of food pampers for a local food supplier. Its absolutely crazy at the moment :shock: :shock: :confused :confused

29 Mar 2020, 14:31

I'm sure some Dom's will just refuse to accept mail if they've got a backlog, an old manager of mine used to tell them to take it back if it arrived too late to go that day! You can't keep chucking more Yorke's of mail into an office especially now everything is being spaced out to allow the 2m distancing. The area h&s rep told our Dom he was coming back this week and if everything wasn't changed to the plan he'd given him he would report it the hse and the office would be closed.

29 Mar 2020, 14:44

citypostie wrote:I'm sure some Dom's will just refuse to accept mail if they've got a backlog, an old manager of mine used to tell them to take it back if it arrived too late to go that day! You can't keep chucking more Yorke's of mail into an office especially now everything is being spaced out to allow the 2m distancing. The area h&s rep told our Dom he was coming back this week and if everything wasn't changed to the plan he'd given him he would report it the hse and the office would be closed.

How would that work with the SDs? Each DO would have to send a van to the MC to collect their SDs.

Wonder how long it's going to be until every office (RDC, MC and DO runs out of room to store stuff.

MCs can make a little more room by cutting out breakdowns for DOs eg;

Say Aberdeen was split into 4 areas but covered by the same DO.

Lets say:

AB 1-2 is the NE of the city
AB 3-4 is the SE of the city
AB 5-6 is the SW of the city
AB 7-8 is the NW of the city

Then next big town is say split into 3

AB 9-10, AB 11-12, AB 13-14

and the next big town as say a 5 way split

AB 15-16
AB 17-18
AB 19-20
AB 21-22
AB 23-24

The MC could cut the selections down so all the mail for the biggest office AB1-8 would be just one selection. The next office would have 1 selection AB9-14, the next office would be AB15-24

That would mean less selections for sorting so enabling the 2m rule to be better kept up.

29 Mar 2020, 14:49

SpacePhoenix wrote:
citypostie wrote:I'm sure some Dom's will just refuse to accept mail if they've got a backlog, an old manager of mine used to tell them to take it back if it arrived too late to go that day! You can't keep chucking more Yorke's of mail into an office especially now everything is being spaced out to allow the 2m distancing. The area h&s rep told our Dom he was coming back this week and if everything wasn't changed to the plan he'd given him he would report it the hse and the office would be closed.

How would that work with the SDs? Each DO would have to send a van to the MC to collect their SDs.

Wonder how long it's going to be until every office (RDC, MC and DO runs out of room to store stuff.

MCs can make a little more room by cutting out breakdowns for DOs eg;

Say Aberdeen was split into 4 areas but covered by the same DO.

Lets say:

AB 1-2 is the NE of the city
AB 3-4 is the SE of the city
AB 5-6 is the SW of the city
AB 7-8 is the NW of the city

Then next big town is say split into 3

AB 9-10, AB 11-12, AB 13-14

and the next big town as say a 5 way split

AB 15-16
AB 17-18
AB 19-20
AB 21-22
AB 23-24

The MC could cut the selections down so all the mail for the biggest office AB1-8 would be just one selection. The next office would have 1 selection AB9-14, the next office would be AB15-24

That would mean less selections for sorting so enabling the 2m rule to be better kept up.

Putting it bluntly the Dom's will do what they need to do to keep their offices open and working. It will be every Dom for himself soon enough. My Dom won't just accepting more stuff if it's int being delivered if it means the office ends up closed by health and safety rep. It's not a problem at the minute in my office because it's been cleared everyday and theres only been 1 staff member off isolating who's due back this week. Long way to go yet though

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 2   1, 2