not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE



Stormy weather

09 Feb 2020, 16:19

Woody Guthrie wrote:
south London postie wrote:anyone got a tip for stopping a modest pile of letters becoming papier mache in about 30 seconds?


Put the whole bundle through the first door and call it a misdelivery.


Sounds like a plan :)

Stormy weather

09 Feb 2020, 19:15

JHC !!!! That’s bad guys. The winds up again!!! I’m on the coast an sos My office. Just got in and it’s bloody scary out there.Whats the drill for tomorrow?Ring My office in the morning?.Its bloody dangerous at the mo.

Stormy weather

09 Feb 2020, 19:25

You are in charge of your own H&S.

Stormy weather

09 Feb 2020, 19:44

clashcityrocker wrote:You are in charge of your own H&S.

Cool !! Phone call to My manager at 5.30 it is then. Lol I hope everyone else does

Stormy weather

09 Feb 2020, 22:12

Just listen to your much respected boss as he says be careful out there! as he disappears out the door onto his preferred offfice after he’s been managing us for a good twenty minutes,and leaves us to get on with it,and fight amongst ourselves,mismanagement at its finest!!!

Stormy weather

09 Feb 2020, 23:18

Most of the stormy Weather will move on tonight into the EU but the surface pressure charts suggest a windy week with hail snow and blizzard conditions at times take care and check your tread depth on your crappy shoes!

Stormy weather

10 Feb 2020, 00:12

All this bravado of 'I remember when i was delivering in weather worse than this'is stupid it's quite interesting on days when it's a little bit breezy the managers are saying be careful today but weather warnings all over the news and you will not hear a word from the sods. Same in 39 degrees last year not a word about water bottles I've heard a army guy saying we worked in 50 degrees with 50k packs It's not the same they are trained to acclimatise but a mere posty with God knows what health problems on stage warnings because they had a few days off as to go in and face this with coats that are not waterproof footwear that is crap
Sometimes facing unfamiliar rounds
and no training for what is still a few quid an hour is very admirable I wouldn't wish it on anyone in these extreme weathers .So to call postie's pussy is what really gets me. Standing up to these managers is all we have .Don't take risks it your heath and safety don't do it if it's not safe , stick it to em.Nobody wil die if they don't get their post .

Stormy weather

10 Feb 2020, 07:12

So if i go into work but refuse to go out on delivery on h&s grounds will i be in trouble?

Stormy weather

12 Feb 2020, 08:39

EdRush wrote:The named storm Ciara, of 'once or twice a decade' hits us over the next few days..

Any tips for working in Amber warning weathe, that poses danger to 'life and limb'? Quotes from the BBC

Keep your bundles small incase they blow away
Don't look up if you hear roof slates falling
Use the van side sliding door
Buy a lottery ticket

Roll on Monday!


Obviously whoever wrote this has never tried getting a 15kg tray of mail that is at the rear of a van, over everything else, out through the side door.

Stormy weather

12 Feb 2020, 08:57

masterblaster wrote:
EdRush wrote:The named storm Ciara, of 'once or twice a decade' hits us over the next few days..

Any tips for working in Amber warning weathe, that poses danger to 'life and limb'? Quotes from the BBC

Keep your bundles small incase they blow away
Don't look up if you hear roof slates falling
Use the van side sliding door
Buy a lottery ticket

Roll on Monday!


Obviously whoever wrote this has never tried getting a 15kg tray of mail that is at the rear of a van, over everything else, out through the side door.

Why is the tray overweight? The limit's about 11Kg

Stormy weather

14 Feb 2020, 13:49

masterblaster wrote:
Obviously whoever wrote this has never tried getting a 15kg tray of mail that is at the rear of a van, over everything else, out through the side door.


Prepare for incoming ..... kind of shot yourself in the foot there MB! :cuppa

Stormy weather

14 Feb 2020, 13:56

2pints wrote:So if i go into work but refuse to go out on delivery on h&s grounds will i be in trouble?


I've often wondered about this 2 pints. :hmmmm We all know that we're responsible for our own H&S decisions. We also know that if there's any dodgy weather we're going to get the, "Be careful out there and don't do anything you consider dangerous" lecture. ;liar

So what is stop a Postie simply saying, "I consider this weather, and road conditions, too dangerous for me to deliver in"? :hmmmm Has anyone any experience of actually doing this? I expect he would be "Persuaded" that the weather's not really that bad and he should really take the mail out. :cuppa

Stormy weather

14 Feb 2020, 17:13

What you would have to do is show that this was a reasonable decision based on fact but it's difficult to argue that an entire delivery would be dangerous for an entire delivery span.

It would be far more sensible to inform management that you'll go out on delivery and assess each area individually delivering where you deem it safe to do so.

Stormy weather

14 Feb 2020, 17:38

south London postie wrote:anyone got a tip for stopping a modest pile of letters becoming papier mache in about 30 seconds?


Get a large damage bag and (with the clear side up, obviously) put the bundle in that. Take letters from the open end. It's not foolproof but it works okay.Bit fiddly til you get the hang of it.

Stormy weather

14 Feb 2020, 20:40

Dorset Plodder wrote:
So what is stop a Postie simply saying, "I consider this weather, and road conditions, too dangerous for me to deliver in"? :hmmmm Has anyone any experience of actually doing this? I expect he would be "Persuaded" that the weather's not really that bad and he should really take the mail out. :cuppa


yes, ive been out on delivery and assessed the weather too dangerous after doing approx 50% of delivery, sat in van to wait it out, but the weather didnt change so returned mail to office at shift end time, manager was ok with it to be honest.

Stormy weather

14 Feb 2020, 21:37

Postie45 wrote:
yes, ive been out on delivery and assessed the weather too dangerous after doing approx 50% of delivery, sat in van to wait it out, but the weather didnt change so returned mail to office at shift end time, manager was ok with it to be honest.


That sounds fair to me. :thumbup As previously mentioned, probably better to just assess each area as you're going along ... food for thought. :cuppa

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 2   1, 2