not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Need some advice for working in callers

12 Jan 2020, 14:59

So I've just finished my first week in the callers office (I'm meant to be in there for 6 months) and it's not too bad, there's just lots of things to get my head around.
My main issue is packets. I work in one of the smaller offices and on Saturdays we lock the customer window early but whoever is in the callers has to go out and do 6 trolley duty packets (2 are in town and the other 4 are residential). I only work 30 hours a week so my 'finishing time' is 12:12 however it took me an hour and a half to do the town packets, someone else took 2 of the residential and when I got back the remaining 2 still needed doing. I was way over my finishing time but someone helped me with the remaining packets so it only took us about 45 minutes but normally I would be expected to do all of them. This idea is our manager's so I was wondering if there's a way of dishing out the packets to everyone when they get back because on Saturdays all the posties get back early and some of the packets are within reasonable walking distance from the office so the packets
could be split between the walkers and van shares.
Would this be better? My manager is the kind of person who thinks his way is the best way. Also I'm the only one in the callers on a Saturday so there's no one putting away all the parcels that posties are bringing back so I'm going to have to come in early on Monday just to put them away.
Thank you

12 Jan 2020, 15:10

This would come under lapsing.

12 Jan 2020, 18:24

Get back to the office at 12.12 and go home.

12 Jan 2020, 22:53

why are you going over if your finish time is 12.12 ??
Go home as O/T isn't mandatory
Get the DOM to give some of them to the ones that get back early
Plus definately don't come in early Monday unless you get O/T for it

13 Jan 2020, 12:37

You don't say what time you start or what time the callers shuts. I'm guessing it closes around 12 as a lot do. If that's the case just lock up and go home.

On Monday mornings when the customers come in for packets just give the card to the DOM, point to the pile of packets and ask him to find it. That's what we had to do for a while.

Are you covering for maternity or sick leave? If so what is the contract hours for the callers office duty? It may be that they work longer so the packets can be added to the duty whereas your 30 hours will not cover it. Either way do not work for free.

13 Jan 2020, 14:59

As others have said only work your hours , overtime is purely voluntary. Do not come in early , take your breaks and go home on time , not a minute over especially as other staff are finishing early. And tell that to the Dom (with your union rep present) it makes no difference whether your in the callers office , shared vans or whatever. Stand up for yourself , don't let them walk all over you. Remember always get your rep involved.

13 Jan 2020, 19:28

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied, I'm new to this :oops: to answer some other people's questions I am covering maternity leave for 6 months. I started royal mail 6 months ago and I'm not able to get a full time contract just yet so I'm on 30 hours a week (6:42 - 12:12). I definitely do need to stand up for myself a bit more but thank you all again for replying.

22 Jan 2020, 00:04

Amy85 wrote:Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who replied, I'm new to this :oops: to answer some other people's questions I am covering maternity leave for 6 months. I started royal mail 6 months ago and I'm not able to get a full time contract just yet so I'm on 30 hours a week (6:42 - 12:12). I definitely do need to stand up for myself a bit more but thank you all again for replying.

I've been with RM for over a decade & am stil part-time. There is a queue of another 15 people ahead of me before I get the option of fulltime.

Speak to your manager about your workload and what he/she wants you to do. Its either claim o/t to finish it or finish on your time. Its a decision for your manager and you to agree on.

I know it makes sense for any posties that finish earlier to take some of the parcels out but thats not a call for you to make. I wouldnt even suggest mentioning it as your colleagues wouldnt appreciate it. To me the manager should be enforcing it already.

Just discuss your workload and see what the manager whats and take it from there.

22 Jan 2020, 08:13

If they want you to cover a full time duty for 6 months ask them to give you a temporary variation of contract.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1