not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

PDA UPDATE : Please use this thread for any PDA problems!

30 Nov 2019, 17:32

Agree with most of the comments.

My thoughts. I use the clip on belt cradle but even so often when you pull it out on the doorstep the vol setting (black square) screen has popped up over the viewing screen. Normally the oval symbol at the bottom gets rid of it bit often it just bleeps and comes straight back. Touch screens are great if you dont touch them till you want to use the device. However as a walking postie the PDA is most likely to be in your pouch or jacket pocket going bleep, bleep bleep all the time till it totally locks up and needs a doorstep reset. In fact even without the screen getting pressed the PDA seems to suddenly slow down to a stop and require a re boot with the customer standing there.

Yes you can try putting it into sleep mode by pressing the power button but its 50/50 if it will spring back to life when required once again on the doorstep with a customer waiting. Also with the amount of scans we are doing right now you will be switching it on or off every 5th house.

The PDA is multi functional, i get that, but once its in the outdoor scan mode i think all other features should be suspended so they cannot be accidently accessed when walking around without going to a menu and selecting them.

Finally the on screen keyboard is way to small esp with chilled fingers and its way too easy to hit the wrong keys when spelling out a very long surname.

01 Dec 2019, 08:26

Simple way around it scan before you knock, you dont look like a twat then!

01 Dec 2019, 09:11

leolion855 wrote:Simple way around it scan before you knock, you dont look like a twat then!

Yup, I always do this. Don't wanna keep a customer with their door open when it's nearly freezing outside. I don't get the grief with the pdas. I have only been working here just shy of 2 years but I've never had to restart my PDA while on my round

01 Dec 2019, 09:17

I will use yours then TINO :thumbup

01 Dec 2019, 10:40

I think they might have put out an update to fix the update in the last couple of days, I was quizzed yesterday if mine had taken the new update.

01 Dec 2019, 12:01

maisymoo04 wrote:I will use yours then TINO :thumbup

I'll get it posted out. Is Hermes OK? God knows when it would reach you knowing our office at the min

06 Dec 2019, 18:19

Haven't noticed any update on mine. An absolute nightmare to be honest. The main problem I've experienced the last few weeks is the looping back to indoor/outdoor screen after scanning, with almost EVERY SCAN! At customers door requiring signature, it done this three times in a row having to re-input surname every time. Embarrasing! It's not the first time I've had this scenario either.

Also numerous packets have been scanned, posted, then the things looped before having a chance to submit.

Someone at IT needs a serious dressing down.

06 Dec 2019, 18:30

I've found one way that items disappear from the screen after scanning.

It is extremely easy to just miss the "submit" button and to catch the home screen one instead - and with rain on the screen even that can/may do the same thing, or even briefly touching something against it. It throws the display back out to the black screen with just the 2 icons on it, and going back into Outdoor/Delivery mode the item has vanished. No idea if the update can make the screen more sensitive but this has got a lot worse over the last few weeks.

06 Dec 2019, 23:09

fb1969 wrote:I've found one way that items disappear from the screen after scanning.

It is extremely easy to just miss the "submit" button and to catch the home screen one instead - and with rain on the screen even that can/may do the same thing, or even briefly touching something against it. It throws the display back out to the black screen with just the 2 icons on it, and going back into Outdoor/Delivery mode the item has vanished. No idea if the update can make the screen more sensitive but this has got a lot worse over the last few weeks.

I get what you're saying fb, but I don't think that relates to my issue in particular as it loops back almost immediately after scanning with all fingers AROUND the PDA not touching the screen. Also this happens in the dry.

Even if this was the case why should it clear the scanned item by simply hitting the home button? The scanned item should remain.

06 Dec 2019, 23:11

If you have an app open on your phone and you hit the home button, does it close your app?

07 Dec 2019, 07:34

ssdd wrote:
Even if this was the case why should it clear the scanned item by simply hitting the home button? The scanned item should remain.

Can't answer that other than a software/hardware error. It doesn't happen on a mobile phone, the app remains at whatever you were doing, but it does happen on the PDA.

I wasn't saying it was what was happening to you, it was a general observation. Having had a few items disappear I thought I'd see how it was happening and found what I posted above.

07 Dec 2019, 08:04

fb1969 wrote:I've found one way that items disappear from the screen after scanning.

This happened to me a lot and it`s very annoying and time consuming, i also have the navigation app coming on on its own, then the screen freezes and I need to spend 2 minutes to try getting the proper screen back :arrrghhh

09 Dec 2019, 19:40

I love coming back from your day off to find your pda for your duty isn’t the one you had,ie,buttons missing no strap etc etc,oh what fun,you would think they would have a stock of straps to replace but of course not,has to be logged and wait and wait,such a joy yet such an embarrassment to use on the doorstep when it crashes and we roll about laughing with the customer! Brilliant!,

09 Dec 2019, 19:59

I mean whats is going on? It's obvious that numerous people are having problems with the current update. IT are aware of this aren't they? What I don't understand is why this has been allowed to continue for so long. I mean any other office/industry with these technical problems would be having this sorted as a matter of priority.

Can someone confirm if IT do indeed know about this and what they are doing about it. We are in the communications industry but can't even inform each other of what's happening.

If anyone from IT is reading this, then why can't we have an option to report feedback/problems/bugs from the PDA itself.

09 Dec 2019, 23:52

ssdd wrote:I mean whats is going on? It's obvious that numerous people are having problems with the current update. IT are aware of this aren't they? What I don't understand is why this has been allowed to continue for so long. I mean any other office/industry with these technical problems would be having this sorted as a matter of priority.

Can someone confirm if IT do indeed know about this and what they are doing about it. We are in the communications industry but can't even inform each other of what's happening.

If anyone from IT is reading this, then why can't we have an option to report feedback/problems/bugs from the PDA itself.

Communication generally very bad both from RM and the CWU. Both sides are just out to feather their own beds at our expense.

10 Dec 2019, 13:03

Celgar wrote:Communication generally very bad both from RM and the CWU. Both sides are just out to feather their own beds at our expense.

Ok Celgar, you're entitled to your opinion, but what value are you adding by that comment. Likewise with IT, what value are they adding with this latest update? "Ooh, look what I've done, I've added a little message "where are you working today" and "we're just setting things up for you".

Makes you feel like you're in a call centre queue, when these messages lead to buffering and the overall time to even log in is increased.

Can't we just have a Zebra Lite version installed into these. Something with some stripped back features that the hardware can actually cope with?

10 Dec 2019, 17:57

ssdd wrote:............ then why can't we have an option to report feedback/problems/bugs from the PDA itself.

SSDD - have you raised this to your Lino/DOM or in a WTLL session? If your office is anything like mine, people will moan and groan
about things all the time when they're at their frames but won't say a dicky bird in the daily huddle or WTLL session (if you're 'lucky'
enough to get one). If you highlight the time wasted waiting for your personal paperweight to sort it's life out at the deliver
point when it's chucking it down with rain or that it potentially loses scans due to the rain kicking you out of 'Outdoor' mode
they might do something about it.

Also there's an IT helpdesk number to ring if your management don't take any notice when you highlight an issue, the number
is on the PDA phone contacts.....or should be!

10 Dec 2019, 18:26

[quote="yellowbelly]
Also there's an IT helpdesk number to ring if your management don't take any notice when you highlight an issue, the number
is on the PDA phone contacts.....or should be![/quote]

Good point yellowbelly, I never noticed their number before! A number of us have already raised this with management, but so far nothing. Anyway it's probably better that they don't add anything else in, coz it would probably just make the system even slower :d'oh!

11 Dec 2019, 22:05

ssdd wrote:[quote="yellowbelly]
is on the PDA phone contacts.....or should be![/quote]

Good point yellowbelly, I never noticed their number before! A number of us have already raised this with management, but so far nothing. Anyway it's probably better that they don't add anything else in, coz it would probably just make the system even slower :d'oh![/quote]

A little update. Tried phoning helpdesk. Ten minutes in queue, to be told that other people were having problems. Adviser not able to advise as to why. Asked for asset number off side of PDA. Eeerm...it's been rubbed off. I'm not going through the s**t of opening up the back to get the imei number. I don't think it's a problem with the PDA anyway. He says any new updates will likely be in the New Year. Way to go IT, you've done us proud! :Applause

10 Jan 2020, 17:43

Anyone heard anything? Still having this problem. It's got to the stage where I've actually timed how long it takes from the Indoor/Outdoor screen until it's ready to scan! Approx 6 seconds on average. With nearly every scanned item requiring this painful/embarrassing process. Embarrasing when it cuts out on you just as you're about to obtain a signature. Then go through the whole process again..and again sometimes.

It also seems to hang more when going into flats, as though it's related to reception somehow. Anyway, just wanted to have a moan about this crap system. :wave

Previous page Next page

Page 4 of 7   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7