not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

PDA UPDATE

18 Nov 2019, 07:04

SpacePhoenix wrote:There's probably many people who don't have access to a mobile phone and/or email

When we are almost in year 2020? Mobile phones have been popular for almost 20 years. Email even longer. I am sure you can get a mobile phone for as little as £20.

If this is the only reason we still write out dockets then surely it's time to switch to digital and save us all the time of writing out these cards and wasting paper.

Do this as well as encourage people to install parcel bins and you've saved ~10 minutes per round per day.

PDA UPDATE

18 Nov 2019, 08:03

norris9 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:There's probably many people who don't have access to a mobile phone and/or email

When we are almost in year 2020? Mobile phones have been popular for almost 20 years. Email even longer. I am sure you can get a mobile phone for as little as £20.

If this is the only reason we still write out dockets then surely it's time to switch to digital and save us all the time of writing out these cards and wasting paper.

Do this as well as encourage people to install parcel bins and you've saved ~10 minutes per round per day.

How many people who have a mobile only have it for emergencies and don't check for text messages?

emails can get pushed down really quickly if someone receives many emails per day. How many people would think it's a potential scam email?

PDA UPDATE

18 Nov 2019, 13:52

norris9 wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote: you've saved ~10 minutes per round per day.

And Royal mail will give us 20 mins per duty per day to make up for it.

PDA UPDATE

18 Nov 2019, 23:28

NorthernPostman wrote:It's been made even worse for LAT drivers and anyone else using the "Route Planning & Optimisation". The GPS signal drops constantly, literally every 2 or 3 minutes, and takes a good 30 to 60 seconds to gain signal back. I've missed my turning loads of times because of this, which is getting dangerous now because we're delivering during rush hour, and in the dark. Also, with the previous version, when you arrived at a stop, it would recognise you've arrived, and erase that stop from the route and show you the way to the next stop. It no longer does that, you have to manually erase the stop yourself. But you can't click on the current stop whilst you're at that stop, because your own GPS marker is in the way, so you have to drive a few yards away, stop the van, drag the map back to the stop, click on the stop, and manually erase. Both very frustrating things that slow us down even more.

Sounds like a nightmare

PDA UPDATE

19 Nov 2019, 20:21

NewPostieUK wrote:
Trail wrote:On a related not re: antiquated thing Royal Mail still do...

Signing in and out with a pen and a piece of paper. We're not primary school children writing their names in pencil before we get taught to add up, take away etc.

For me it's counting the f***ing poll cards.

With all the technology available, I refuse to count them. Especially as 3p is less than the overtime I'd get for counting prepping and delivering them.

Your DOM should receive an email stating how many poll cards each walk has received. In addition if you have a weighing scales in your DO the poll cards can be weighed which is very accurate. I'm not sure if the election mailings can be weighed. I think in the past they have sometimes been banded into bundles of one hundred.

PDA's full of bugs

26 Nov 2019, 23:51

Do the RM IT department not bother testing their coding before updating the PDA's? :Applause The frontline app stop scanning at least once an hour. The new sensitive interface causes scanned in tracking numbers to be deleted very easily; leaving you thinking they've been submitted. My colleagues say they've had the same problems. I've heard management complaining that the number of tracked items not being scanned has gone through the roof :arrrghhh

PDA's full of bugs

27 Nov 2019, 06:33

And we still get the utterly pointless and unnecessary ''Report an Incident'' screen come up at least 10 times a day, with the slightest touch of the screen.

PDA's full of bugs

27 Nov 2019, 08:20

wacko74 wrote:And we still get the utterly pointless and unnecessary ''Report an Incident'' screen come up at least 10 times a day, with the slightest touch of the screen.

Especially when the screen gets wet as you can't put the PDA in 'off' mode.

PDA's full of bugs

27 Nov 2019, 09:50

it took me 20 mins on Saturday just to log in managed to get it down to 10 mins on Monday then Tuesday it worked fine(ish)as the volume thing keeps blocking the screen and every time I accidently hit the back button it takes at least 3 button pushes to get back to where I was :crazy:

PDA's full of bugs

27 Nov 2019, 19:56

Same. I was asked by the manager why I had not scanned my collection box and consolidation barcode on Tuesday. Just by sheer luck the coach had scanned it the same time as me so he was able to back me up. The manager checked the pda actuals and found that nothing had come through after 8:45; no specials, no tracked, nothing had come through as delivered.
The pda’s are not fit for purpose at the minute

PDA's full of bugs

27 Nov 2019, 23:35

2 dead PDA's today 3rd one updated took 20 min laggay as a CEO at RM this is why this firm is where it is putting the s**t into IT.

PDA's full of bugs

28 Nov 2019, 09:00

At least you have pda’s in your office. The lack of them in ours is causing concern. Back to writing items on paper and using a pen signature.....what a wonderful business grasping technology to move forward

PDA's full of bugs

28 Nov 2019, 15:21

Horrendous today........kept going back to the indoor / outdoor screen by itself......even after scanning a barcode it would just randomly return to that screen.

Absolutely f***ing useless.....just as well it's not a busy period with a gazillion packets that need scanned each day......oh wait.

PDA UPDATE : Please use this thread for any PDA problems!

28 Nov 2019, 18:04

PDA topics merged - please use this topic for any info on PDA problems!

28 Nov 2019, 18:12

It's possible that the GPS on the PDA is wildly inaccurate at the moment which could leave you in the **** if a customer claims they haven't received an item. We had an incident of this in our office and were able to prove the PDA location data was incorrect.

28 Nov 2019, 18:26

Mine wouldn't connect all day yesterday, 168 unsent items by the time I finished, and the button to turn the screen off wouldn't work

28 Nov 2019, 18:29

Celgar wrote:It's possible that the GPS on the PDA is wildly inaccurate at the moment which could leave you in the **** if a customer claims they haven't received an item. We had an incident of this in our office and were able to prove the PDA location data was incorrect.

Had that once. The customer said they hadn't received it. So when checking the gps it showed that I scanned it on a street not on my walk and I don't even go near that street.

28 Nov 2019, 18:35

theres no way the dom knows how many poll cards we get.why are we counting them if they do?

28 Nov 2019, 21:05

I think pdas crash so much as managers spend so much time checking up on you that they interfere with them so causing them to crash while u are out on your walk

28 Nov 2019, 22:49

When you have to input a bar code manually in ad-hoc and you get a single digit wrong it tells you it's wrong but then
it wipes out the whole friggin' number you've just input. Why can't it leave the number in and let you correct
the single digit you've input incorrectly!

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 7   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7