not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

PDA UPDATE

11 Nov 2019, 21:25

Postie45 wrote:
Marshamp11 wrote:
Decky Boy wrote:Amazon drivers don't have PDAs but rather must use their own phones ( after downloading an APP onto them !) They recieve an allowance of £36.00 per month for the privelage of having to pull out and use their phones in all weathers with the chance of water damage, breakage or loss being real issues.
I agree with the posts above.... the new software is slower and less efficient than before but far better than the solution Amazon have come up with for their couriers ???

Just use the £36 allowance to buy a phone just for work purposes. Doesnt have to be all singing all dancing just able to use the app.

yeah that seems pretty decent to me, can get a pretty high end phone with good data plan and they basically cover much of the cost.

RMG is agreeing on a PDA solution and will launch a monthly £35 mobile allowance and not just for only drivers, for the workforce.
Last edited by ruorbe on 13 Nov 2019, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

PDA UPDATE

12 Nov 2019, 13:44

I have asked Royal Mail to look into this thread so give as much info of the problems as you can.

PDA UPDATE

12 Nov 2019, 14:03

Today, use my PDA on indoor mode for a couple of hours, no issues, out on delivery, 1st house, pull out the PDA, frozen solid. Three reboots and still the same, pull out the battery and reboot, PDA works fine. Scan my item and move on, next job, pull out PDA, PDA has rebooted itself for no reason. These things really do make us look like amateurs.

PDA UPDATE

12 Nov 2019, 15:14

Surreypostie wrote:Today, use my PDA on indoor mode for a couple of hours, no issues, out on delivery, 1st house, pull out the PDA, frozen solid. Three reboots and still the same, pull out the battery and reboot, PDA works fine. Scan my item and move on, next job, pull out PDA, PDA has rebooted itself for no reason. These things really do make us look like amateurs.

Just refuse to scan items if you're getting PDAs that don't work. I remember a few months ago me and my work partner were one of the last to leave the office due to workload. There was only one PDA between two of us. I just went up to the manager and said to him if I don't get a second PDA I'm scanning nothing, specials included. If I'm not getting the tools to do the job I'm not doing it, and I'll be f****d if I'm using £500 worth of my iPhone to take pictures for RM.

The second PDA soon came.

PDA UPDATE

12 Nov 2019, 16:07

Trail wrote:
Surreypostie wrote:Today, use my PDA on indoor mode for a couple of hours, no issues, out on delivery, 1st house, pull out the PDA, frozen solid. Three reboots and still the same, pull out the battery and reboot, PDA works fine. Scan my item and move on, next job, pull out PDA, PDA has rebooted itself for no reason. These things really do make us look like amateurs.

Just refuse to scan items if you're getting PDAs that don't work. I remember a few months ago me and my work partner were one of the last to leave the office due to workload. There was only one PDA between two of us. I just went up to the manager and said to him if I don't get a second PDA I'm scanning nothing, specials included. If I'm not getting the tools to do the job I'm not doing it, and I'll be f****d if I'm using £500 worth of my iPhone to take pictures for RM.

Supposed to use an EPOD card if dont have a scanner

PDA UPDATE

12 Nov 2019, 20:12

Heard today they're going to be going back to the old system...shall see if that happens but they're almost unusable atm

PDA UPDATE

12 Nov 2019, 20:26

Acca Dacca wrote:
Trail wrote:

If you were some c*** who worked for the council cutting school playing fields on a tractor/mower/call-it-what-you-want and they gave you a steamroller, would you have it?

No. If they want things scanning I want a PDA, if not I'm not stepping back into the 19th century with a piece of paper and a pen writing stuff down.

I'm happy to see them lose money if a Special or a tracked doesn't get scanned. Give me the tools, hombre.

PDA UPDATE

12 Nov 2019, 20:31

I wonder if they updated the version of Android at the same time, if they did then they might not be able to go back to the old system

PDA UPDATE

12 Nov 2019, 20:39

Trail wrote:
Acca Dacca wrote:
Trail wrote:

If you were some c*** who worked for the council cutting school playing fields on a tractor/mower/call-it-what-you-want and they gave you a steamroller, would you have it?

No. If they want things scanning I want a PDA, if not I'm not stepping back into the 19th century with a piece of paper and a pen writing stuff down.

I'm happy to see them lose money if a Special or a tracked doesn't get scanned. Give me the tools, hombre.

I totally agree, these PDA's are a joke in the rain got so bad I just chucked someone's recorded delivery through the letterbox the other day without getting a signature as surprise, surprise, it had a bit of rain on the screen so it wouldn't work! Tools for the job, if not sod it, they gonna sack me?

PDA UPDATE

13 Nov 2019, 12:27

Dingo99 wrote:
Trail wrote:
Acca Dacca wrote:
Trail wrote:

I totally agree, these PDA's are a joke in the rain got so bad I just chucked someone's recorded delivery through the letterbox the other day without getting a signature as surprise, surprise, it had a bit of rain on the screen so it wouldn't work! Tools for the job, if not sod it, they gonna sack me?

The business is going to replace the current PDA's for more manageable and faster Mobile devices that can run the software needed, as a new allowance will be dependant on employees using their own personal phone for business purposes. An average of 35 mobile devices at 3620 offices.

PDA UPDATE

13 Nov 2019, 13:49

ruorbe wrote:
Dingo99 wrote:
Trail wrote:
Acca Dacca wrote:
Trail wrote:

The business is going to replace the current PDA's for more manageable and faster Mobile devices that can run the software needed, as a new allowance will be dependant on employees using their own personal phone for business purposes. An average of 35 mobile devices at 3620 offices.

RM PDAs are a joke. However they get away with this is a mystery.

On a related not re: antiquated thing Royal Mail still do...

Signing in and out with a pen and a piece of paper. We're not primary school children writing their names in pencil before we get taught to add up, take away etc.

I've worked for some real c***s in my life, some bad f***ing bastards, none as bad as RM management.

PDA UPDATE

13 Nov 2019, 14:10

if got no personal phone available, then pen and paper, methinks...balls to that...i want/expect parity in work equipment...what next...using your own van/ doing your own n.i/tax/pension..."sorry, we missed you"...did you say gig it yourself whilst we dismantle your union/ terms and conditions/ contracts? :thumbdown

PDA UPDATE

15 Nov 2019, 08:50

POSTMAN wrote:I have asked Royal Mail to look into this thread so give as much info of the problems as you can.

Hope RM are putting as much effort into reading this Social Media thread as they have done for the 'illegal' ballot.

PDA's functionality in the rain was an absolute joke in the rain from the start. When the screen gets wet, random screens appear,
repeeeeeted letters when you try to type someone's name in for signed for products, settings screens randomly pop up and you
spend ages trying to get rid of them when someone is trying to sign for something, the list is endless.

The software update has exacerbated this, screen randomly locks, fails to scan, have to select the 'Name' field rather than the cursor
already being in the right place for signed for products, got locked out of the application, PDA randomly backs out of the 'Outdoor old' option
and the scan that you have just made has disappeared - has it been submitted as delivered or not? - and you've posted the item through
the door so can't scan again, logout option has disappeared from the outdoor option...the list is flipping endless....the IT testing team
want a kick up the backside and need sending out on delivery in the rain to try and use the useless brick that they've given us......!!!!!

PDA UPDATE

15 Nov 2019, 09:47

Exactly my experience when using a pda in the rain, I`m tired to keep apologizing to customers when they can`t sign for their parcels and have to wait for the bloody pda to work or for me to spend ages trying to get to the correct screen and input their names when the pda keeps playing up.

I wonder if they tested them in the rain? I doubt that :arrrghhh

PDA UPDATE

15 Nov 2019, 20:10

It's been made even worse for LAT drivers and anyone else using the "Route Planning & Optimisation". The GPS signal drops constantly, literally every 2 or 3 minutes, and takes a good 30 to 60 seconds to gain signal back. I've missed my turning loads of times because of this, which is getting dangerous now because we're delivering during rush hour, and in the dark. Also, with the previous version, when you arrived at a stop, it would recognise you've arrived, and erase that stop from the route and show you the way to the next stop. It no longer does that, you have to manually erase the stop yourself. But you can't click on the current stop whilst you're at that stop, because your own GPS marker is in the way, so you have to drive a few yards away, stop the van, drag the map back to the stop, click on the stop, and manually erase. Both very frustrating things that slow us down even more.

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 6   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6