not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

08 Nov 2019, 20:23

Celgar wrote:
Postmangit wrote:Same old crap every day, same old snide remarks every day. And I’m 30 year man. Those days when management brought in job & finish, great for us, but little did we know that it was probably an exercise to see how many hours were wasted & that’s where we are now ? PDA actually confirming this . Been told we need 200 hours out of our office yet there are hundreds of houses being built, how can this work. I’m glad I’m nearer the end of my working life & not at the start.

We will never know for sure but it is possible that 'job & finish' was deployed to test us and we fell for it line & sinker. I do know for a fact that if every postie in most delivery offices did the job exactly as RM and the union proscribes there will not be enough time to complete delivery any day of the week. The last time RM came after our office for another walk/40 hours we all stuck together including the DOM, who was in agreement that we had no hours to give, and did the job 'properly'. It wasn't 'work to rule' which was the opinion of the finance director but just completing the job as RM want it to be done. I think the main problem is that RM do not have an accurate system to show them how long we work. All they have currently is a marker to show when we arrive back from delivery. In effect they have no data and are just presuming or guessing how the job is done. They are incompetent, devious, arrogant, and a complete joke!
I think the job went downhill from when the idea of absorption was thought up and deployed. I still enjoy the actual job and the 'customers' are always friendly and appreciative even though it feels like there is a gangmaster with a whip behind me. The plan is to retire at sixty but I'm ten years from that and I think either RM or I will go bust before that point arrives. We all thought Moya was crap but Rico really has taken s*** to the next level. He needs to go or be forced out.

I echo your comments my friend,I good job mis managed by the powers that be,well out of touch as to what goes on at the sharp end and pressures in offices up and down the country,the culture of bullying and harassment is rife,I tend not to engage with management,laugh and joke with colleagues and tell my customers exactly what’s going on within the company,37 years and counting,every aspect needs a review ,it’s all done on a wing and a prayer,with bosses making far more of it than they need,performance charts,resources to workload,blah blah

09 Nov 2019, 06:17

Janet Brum wrote:Unfortunately you are right but the public has no idea how phisically hard is the postman job.
All they see is us delivering a bag or an oversized parcel, they dont know we have 8+ bags like that and a filled with parcels van ...

I agree. They won't know until they try it themselves. I am not sure the public even realise how far we walk. You can tell some people's perception of the job by how they want to stop and chat with you, they obviously assume the job is pretty casual, maybe because it was in the past when it was job and finish when some Posties would apparently pop in for tea and biscuits. I think I have read on here that the Postman on Eastenders is casual as can be, then there's Postman Pat..... Postman Pat makes the job look like a doddle!!!

09 Nov 2019, 20:07

norris9 wrote:
Janet Brum wrote:Unfortunately you are right but the public has no idea how phisically hard is the postman job.
All they see is us delivering a bag or an oversized parcel, they dont know we have 8+ bags like that and a filled with parcels van ...

I agree. They won't know until they try it themselves. I am not sure the public even realise how far we walk. You can tell some people's perception of the job by how they want to stop and chat with you, they obviously assume the job is pretty casual, maybe because it was in the past when it was job and finish when some Posties would apparently pop in for tea and biscuits. I think I have read on here that the Postman on Eastenders is casual as can be, then there's Postman Pat..... Postman Pat makes the job look like a doddle!!!

I had this today. Pissing down with rain. Cold. Knocked door with parcel. Man answers, takes parcel. Waits til I'm five yards away and calls me back.

'Sorry to hold you up in the rain...'

And proceeds to tell me, lenghtily, that he's not getting mail and thinks it going to a corresponding number around the corner.

I tell him, through chattering teeth, that I'm only covering the duty today and that I'll endeavour to have a word with the duty holder upon my return (yeah, right, okay, but I'm cold, wet and on the edge of offering pretty much anything save my daughter's sacrifice to just get going again).

'Well, if you could...if it's not too much trouble.'

And, I was pretty much okay as I walked away until he added, 'hope you don't get too much wetter!' as he slunk away into his lovely warm abode.

I take the fact that I am at liberty to be typing this in the warm of my own abode and not in the cold confines of a cell on a charge of ABH very much as a f***ing win, thank you very much.

09 Nov 2019, 20:45

crimson king wrote:
norris9 wrote:

I had this today. Pissing down with rain. Cold. Knocked door with parcel. Man answers, takes parcel. Waits til I'm five yards away and calls me back.

'Sorry to hold you up in the rain...'

And proceeds to tell me, lenghtily, that he's not getting mail and thinks it going to a corresponding number around the corner.

I tell him, through chattering teeth, that I'm only covering the duty today and that I'll endeavour to have a word with the duty holder upon my return (yeah, right, okay, but I'm cold, wet and on the edge of offering pretty much anything save my daughter's sacrifice to just get going again).

'Well, if you could...if it's not too much trouble.'

And, I was pretty much okay as I walked away until he added, 'hope you don't get too much wetter!' as he slunk away into his lovely warm abode.

I take the fact that I am at liberty to be typing this in the warm of my own abode and not in the cold confines of a cell on a charge of ABH very much as a f***ing win, thank you very much.

The flipside of the job is when it's f***ing steaming hot, you're sweating your tits off, trying to get as many drinks as you can down you, trying to avoid serious heat injury...and then some idiot says "I wish I had your job, must be brilliant walking around in the sun all day".

Yep, it's ace.

Previous page Next page

Page 5 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5