not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

03 Nov 2019, 10:13

Postmangit wrote:Same old crap every day, same old snide remarks every day. And I’m 30 year man. Those days when management brought in job & finish, great for us, but little did we know that it was probably an exercise to see how many hours were wasted & that’s where we are now ? PDA actually confirming this . Been told we need 200 hours out of our office yet there are hundreds of houses being built, how can this work. I’m glad I’m nearer the end of my working life & not at the start.

We will never know for sure but it is possible that 'job & finish' was deployed to test us and we fell for it line & sinker. I do know for a fact that if every postie in most delivery offices did the job exactly as RM and the union proscribes there will not be enough time to complete delivery any day of the week. The last time RM came after our office for another walk/40 hours we all stuck together including the DOM, who was in agreement that we had no hours to give, and did the job 'properly'. It wasn't 'work to rule' which was the opinion of the finance director but just completing the job as RM want it to be done. I think the main problem is that RM do not have an accurate system to show them how long we work. All they have currently is a marker to show when we arrive back from delivery. In effect they have no data and are just presuming or guessing how the job is done. They are incompetent, devious, arrogant, and a complete joke!
I think the job went downhill from when the idea of absorption was thought up and deployed. I still enjoy the actual job and the 'customers' are always friendly and appreciative even though it feels like there is a gangmaster with a whip behind me. The plan is to retire at sixty but I'm ten years from that and I think either RM or I will go bust before that point arrives. We all thought Moya was crap but Rico really has taken s*** to the next level. He needs to go or be forced out.

03 Nov 2019, 11:20

He isn't going any where. He got his 5 million for coming here & now picking up 2 million every year, he will bleed the company dry & just walk away probably with a few more million. He is just interested in money & we can all go & starve, he doesn't give a s**t about us

03 Nov 2019, 18:21

grchpo wrote:He isn't going any where. He got his 5 million for coming here & now picking up 2 million every year, he will bleed the company dry & just walk away probably with a few more million. He is just interested in money & we can all go & starve, he doesn't give a s**t about us

Yeah,I do get the impression that he's all about changing the business and the workforce can just like it or lump it.

03 Nov 2019, 19:47

postslippete wrote:
grchpo wrote:He isn't going any where. He got his 5 million for coming here & now picking up 2 million every year, he will bleed the company dry & just walk away probably with a few more million. He is just interested in money & we can all go & starve, he doesn't give a s**t about us

Yeah,I do get the impression that he's all about changing the business and the workforce can just like it or lump it.

But will the worforce like it or lump it hence strike action..

04 Nov 2019, 19:03

Was a great job a few years back, but the job has changed and so must we, stop going in an hour before your due to start and running round like headless chickens to finish 10 minutes early leaping walls and fences.
do the job properly you will find it a lot less stressful

04 Nov 2019, 19:23

Mick100 wrote:Was a great job a few years back, but the job has changed and so must we, stop going in an hour before your due to start and running round like headless chickens to finish 10 minutes early leaping walls and fences.
u say to the job probably but not all delivery offices are the same,, I have worked with postie who have not had there contract renewed for working to there hours, it’s not that simple in some offices to say I am only working to my hours, some managers will not accept this, and make life very hard for you. Inless you have worked in offices where you are not allowed to bring work back then you will never imagine how hard it is

05 Nov 2019, 15:28

woody38 wrote:
Mick100 wrote:Was a great job a few years back, but the job has changed and so must we, stop going in an hour before your due to start and running round like headless chickens to finish 10 minutes early leaping walls and fences.
u say to the job probably but not all delivery offices are the same,, I have worked with postie who have not had there contract renewed for working to there hours, it’s not that simple in some offices to say I am only working to my hours, some managers will not accept this, and make life very hard for you. Inless you have worked in offices where you are not allowed to bring work back then you will never imagine how hard it is

I don't think a managers job is to make the posties life any easier. That's not what they are paid for unfortunately - they are paid to bully,cajole and to try and put undue pressure on the postie to complete without doing any overtime. It's all well and good your union rep telling you to work to your time and let your manager deal with the extra but when you have spent over 10 minutes still having that conversation about what you can and can't leave then there is clearly something very backward and stressful about the whole process of the overrunning procedure.

Just using an example, someone told me that they came into work last week even though they felt like sh*te,didn't want to ring in sick and probably should have done. They told the gaffer that they would rather only do half the delivery - 3 loops instead of the usual 6 or 7. Gaffer comes back and says well,what if you just leave the lapse instead! Then the screw goes - do you think 3 loops will take you 5 hours to do? This is what staff are dealing with on a daily basis so it's no wonder staff just ring in sick instead,it gives them scope knowing full well the manager will then ask if they can come in and do a few loops instead.

I've often found on an exceptionally busy day,I will ask for 2 loops off knowing full well that they will come back and say can you leave one instead. I will then ask for large packets off as well,and again I will probably get more,well you've already had a loop off. Is it any wonder both the Royal Mail and the Union are both failing it's workers and you go ask that son of a bit*h rep and he'll just say go and work your hours you silly cu*t He's got no answer but to fob you off and leave you to fight your own battle.

06 Nov 2019, 20:53

I was reading yesterday how the chimney sweeps who were kids in the Victorian times were often trapped in the chimneys and their masters lit fires below to get them to shift unbelievable but true although we are not treated as bad and don't claim that but the managers are basically using the same tactics in a more subtle way in a way that you can't do anything about the whole system as been honed over years an orchestrated
pattern of behaviour that works, it is very sad that it as come to this.

07 Nov 2019, 09:27

goldy wrote:I was reading yesterday how the chimney sweeps who were kids in the Victorian times were often trapped in the chimneys and their masters lit fires below to get them to shift unbelievable but true although we are not treated as bad and don't claim that but the managers are basically using the same tactics in a more subtle way in a way that you can't do anything about the whole system as been honed over years an orchestrated
pattern of behaviour that works, it is very sad that it as come to this.

AYE, BUT THE TIME IS NIGH FOR CHANGE...don't just keep calm and carry on regardless until told otherwise...get some backbone and really, truly do the job as proscribed and hold your head high knowing the self dignity has been earned...hey, they may just create a few more jobs and shake up that data capture bollox that assesses 'hours'; either way it's all about dignity and respect. SOLIDARITY means we all support each other's pain and suffering at the hands of the bullying culture/management savagery...AND THAT IT STOPS IN 2019.... we are on the rise...so get up off your knees and stand together...NOW OR NEVER, BUDDY... BE BRAVE (NOT SAD, MATE) :thumbup

07 Nov 2019, 17:29

What a shame this wonderful job has been ruined by one thing. Sheer greed! :sad:

07 Nov 2019, 18:22

Is the job crap?....

For me this mostly depends on what your managers and colleagues are like.

If I had an unreasonable manager and jerks for colleagues then I'd leave.

If managers and colleagues are decent people then the crap part of the job for me is how much damage it's probably going to do to my legs, knees, ankles, feet etc over time and how exhausted I am 24/7 and therefore I am effectively going to be constantly exhausted and aching for the foreseeable future.

I'd be very happy to work alone on my own designated round. I envy those who do.

07 Nov 2019, 19:18

Today in that torrential rain....yes

07 Nov 2019, 22:29

norris9 wrote:Is the job crap?....

For me this mostly depends on what your managers and colleagues are like.

If I had an unreasonable manager and jerks for colleagues then I'd leave.

If managers and colleagues are decent people then the crap part of the job for me is how much damage it's probably going to do to my legs, knees, ankles, feet etc over time and how exhausted I am 24/7 and therefore I am effectively going to be constantly exhausted and aching for the foreseeable future.

I'd be very happy to work alone on my own designated round. I envy those who do.

You speak so much truth here,I had great colleagues,but the managers were the problem. Ok you need managers but not nasty bullys.

08 Nov 2019, 18:11

The job isn't crap, it's just exhausting IMO.

Here I am 6pm on a Friday night and my body is crashing. It wants and needs to sleep. Even though I went to bed at 8.30pm last night.

This job really affects my life outside of work. People say that we should be happy we are getting paid more than other low skilled workers, but the majority of low skilled workers won't be nearly as shattered on a daily basis as a Postman walking ~10 miles a day, up inclines, steps, and having to do it at a constant medium - fast walking speed.
Last edited by norris9 on 09 Nov 2019, 06:08, edited 1 time in total.

08 Nov 2019, 20:00

Unfortunately you are right but the public has no idea how phisically hard is the postman job.
All they see is us delivering a bag or an oversized parcel, they dont know we have 8+ bags like that and a filled with parcels van ...

Previous page Next page

Page 4 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5