not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Who else thinks this job is crap.?

27 Oct 2019, 20:55

Kesknight wrote:Just do your own thing. Start on your proper time and go home on your finishing time. If you can't complete your round in the time, it's not your problem. Theres no manager or anybody else can bully you.

Well said

27 Oct 2019, 21:04

i dont think the problem is the job, the problem is the depression, it doesnt matter what job you get, if your depressed it will get you down. but as most people have said, just work your hours, take your breaks and go home, your boss cannot make you work over your time.

27 Oct 2019, 23:30

compostcorner wrote:i dont think the problem is the job, the problem is the depression, it doesnt matter what job you get, if your depressed it will get you down. but as most people have said, just work your hours, take your breaks and go home, your boss cannot make you work over your time.
but they can make your life hell with constant scrutiny, fact finding, especially if most of your work mates complete their duty before their time and you do the job properly but cannot complete in time. They can be the cause of depression.

28 Oct 2019, 15:42

redneck wrote:
compostcorner wrote:i dont think the problem is the job, the problem is the depression, it doesnt matter what job you get, if your depressed it will get you down. but as most people have said, just work your hours, take your breaks and go home, your boss cannot make you work over your time.
but they can make your life hell with constant scrutiny, fact finding, especially if most of your work mates complete their duty before their time and you do the job properly but cannot complete in time. They can be the cause of depression.

dont worry about what time other people finish, just do your own job and finish on time or cut off, the unusual thing about our job is that everybody works at different speeds, when i have my day off i have a 20 year old super fit lad doing my job,he runs around and leaps over fences and he"s an hour and a half quicker than me, i"m an old codger with a gammy leg so i cant compete with that, but good luck to him, if he can get away it then well done, i just focus on what i am doing, and if i finish anywhere near my finish time its a good result.

28 Oct 2019, 16:56

Kesknight wrote:Just do your own thing. Start on your proper time and go home on your finishing time. If you can't complete your round in the time, it's not your problem. Theres no manager or anybody else can bully you.

Cutting off actually incurs more stress as you have to daily have the 'conversation' with your manager, who might be reasonable, but more than likely in my experience, not. Now, some people can take this and it's water off a ducks back, however, others who are prone to stress and anxiety will really struggle with this daily conflict.
Sometimes it's not as easy as just saying ' work to time' . It should be, but the reality is, it isn't.

28 Oct 2019, 19:31

totally agree being challenged about performance after 30 plus years is quite hard to take whether your thick skinned or not :arrrghhh

28 Oct 2019, 23:35

rambo1 wrote:

Cutting off actually incurs more stress as you have to daily have the 'conversation' with your manager, who might be reasonable, but more than likely in my experience, not. Now, some people can take this and it's water off a ducks back, however, others who are prone to stress and anxiety will really struggle with this daily conflict.
Sometimes it's not as easy as just saying ' work to time' . It should be, but the reality is, it isn't.

Spot on, Rambo1. I often have to tell managers that I will be cutting off, or at least leaving the flex. I have to muster my nerve each time I do this, as they give me the usual excuses as to why I should not have any problems in finishing on time, followed by snide or derogatory comments. This causes me a lot of stress, but I am also stubborn, so for me I have no alternative but to accept the stress. I really understand why some people give in to this bullying attitude, however so do the managers and that's why they do it.

29 Oct 2019, 20:15

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:If you don't like the job leave its that simple.

But you are like the rest on here and could not earn anywhere as much as you do with Royal Mail anywhere else.

The pay (granted) is pretty good for an unskilled job but anyone can always better themselves. I work 30 hrs, I dread going into work mainly because I also have a part time partner on a 9.20 start, I start at 8.45 and im fighting each day with the manager why my duty is not prepped up to any standard, no D2D's prepped for me etc but they do not care.The manager is also waiting for one single slip up so that he can conduct them,loads of people are on tenterhooks in our office, all for a whopping £290 a week. My last job was unskilled but although I did 5 more hours a week for the same money I was treated like a human being, I wasn't battering my body in harsh winters and longer walks...oh and had weekends off. I loved Royal Mail until 18 months ago and in another 18 months (or sooner) it will be worse. As soon as the right opening comes along i'll be off with no regrets. I pity those that are in their 20's and 30's that still have 35+ years in the job.

29 Oct 2019, 20:34

But it's a job you have decided to do. No-one forces you to stay. There are lots of people who would take your place.

29 Oct 2019, 20:51

mattjo1@talktalk.net wrote:But it's a job you have decided to do. No-one forces you to stay. There are lots of people who would take your place.

In the past, there may have "lots of people", but that was due to the positive remarks that the workforce made about RM. Now, there appears to be a lot of negativity, which will put applicants off from applying. RM really need to look at the way they interact with their employees and come into the modern era.

31 Oct 2019, 18:13

postiewhite wrote:

But you are like the rest on here and could not earn anywhere as much as you do with Royal Mail anywhere else.

The pay (granted) is pretty good for an unskilled job but anyone can always better themselves. I work 30 hrs, I dread going into work mainly because I also have a part time partner on a 9.20 start, I start at 8.45 and im fighting each day with the manager why my duty is not prepped up to any standard, no D2D's prepped for me etc but they do not care.The manager is also waiting for one single slip up so that he can conduct them,loads of people are on tenterhooks in our office, all for a whopping £290 a week. My last job was unskilled but although I did 5 more hours a week for the same money I was treated like a human being, I wasn't battering my body in harsh winters and longer walks...oh and had weekends off. I loved Royal Mail until 18 months ago and in another 18 months (or sooner) it will be worse. As soon as the right opening comes along i'll be off with no regrets. I pity those that are in their 20's and 30's that still have 35+ years in the job.

I know exactly what you are saying. I'm 32 and I'm going to try and stick it out for a couple of more years (pay the my bundle stuff off) then I'm out off here. There is no way I can last till retirement. My body is already falling apart after 6 years

01 Nov 2019, 11:15

CPTNemoUK wrote:
postiewhite wrote:

I know exactly what you are saying. I'm 32 and I'm going to try and stick it out for a couple of more years (pay the my bundle stuff off) then I'm out off here. There is no way I can last till retirement. My body is already falling apart after 6 years

Drop some weight.

I never had any issues with fitness and I was lightning quick for six days a week, every week.

01 Nov 2019, 11:50

mags999 wrote:totally agree being challenged about performance after 30 plus years is quite hard to take whether your thick skinned or not :arrrghhh

Well said my friend,the old it’s not the job for you anymore does grate a bit after 37 years!

01 Nov 2019, 15:53

Trail wrote:
CPTNemoUK wrote:
postiewhite wrote:

Drop some weight.

I never had any issues with fitness and I was lightning quick for six days a week, every week.

Love my kebabs too much for that :nana

03 Nov 2019, 07:58

What makes the job seem crap these days is watching it be torn apart.its always been hard going we had sky mags mailsort reader's digest articles for the blind which were cassettes David Urquhart travel brochures spring to mind.managers were stricter back then there not strict now there more devious nice to your face etc.lapsing van share and trying to make money from what was a public service has ruined the job.oh and we worked 6 days but you didn't mind that sdd played apart to come back and take a break with your fellow workers before you went out 2nd delivery.then we got first line fix to buy stuff for a canteen nobody used anymore lol I could go on.

Previous page Next page

Page 3 of 5   1, 2, 3, 4, 5