not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : BALLOT RESULT : 97.1% YES 75.9% TURNOUT... HERE

Pre-probation transfer to another office

05 Oct 2019, 20:07

Hello all,

I've been in the job for 3 months and so far so good. My partner's job is moving to another town and so I'm looking to follow. I'm aware that in order to officially transfer I need to have been in the job for 6 months. I'm 3 months away from that milestone.... I'd prefer not to wait that long.

I'm wondering what the process would be should a vacancy come up in the office I'm looking to transfer to? I have signed up for job alerts on Success Factors, and it seems that I can apply for jobs that way..... Would I need to resign from my current position and reapply as an external candidate, or might i be able to have a smoother transition despite my short length of service...?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

05 Oct 2019, 21:08

wilts_postie wrote:Hello all,

I've been in the job for 3 months and so far so good. My partner's job is moving to another town and so I'm looking to follow. I'm aware that in order to officially transfer I need to have been in the job for 6 months. I'm 3 months away from that milestone.... I'd prefer not to wait that long.

I'm wondering what the process would be should a vacancy come up in the office I'm looking to transfer to? I have signed up for job alerts on Success Factors, and it seems that I can apply for jobs that way..... Would I need to resign from my current position and reapply as an external candidate, or might i be able to have a smoother transition despite my short length of service...?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

(1) Don't resign...unless u find a better job.

(2) Maybe even go to a delivery office or two in the new town and speak to the manager about vacancies & transferring. Sometimes vacancies arent advertised cos the manager cant be bothered with the recruitment process. I spoke to the managers of the offices I was planning to move to. I knew them all but was "interviewing" them to gauge what happens in each office including hours, o/t, backshifts etc. Any manager would take a transfer in rather than a new start cos u more of less know what to do.

Remember you love the job, love the office where you work but unfortunately ur partner is moving. Never speak negatives of ur current place / manager etc.

(3) keep checking on successfactors

A guy from my office transferred by speaking to the manager of another office. They had vacancies but werent advertised. You will still have to go through the whole hr process which might take some if managers dont fill the forms etc.

Good luck

06 Oct 2019, 12:11

I know of on 3 occasions that people have been transferred before 6 months. It can happen but depends on vacancies.

Good luck

06 Oct 2019, 14:56

Many thanks to you both for your responses.

Redacer, do you know the process that these 3 people went through to get their transfers? I've been led to believe that I can not transfer through the official route until I have passed my probation..... So what is the way to do this? Just apply through Success Factors as if I had passed my probation?

Is there a way to contact the DO that I wish to transfer to without actually going there? It's a 4 hour drive...... :-D

Thanks again

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1