not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT CWU : We have announced an industrial action ballot timetable in Royal Mail group - ballot papers will be dispatched on 24th September if no agreement is reached before then. HERE

Weight of bags

09 Sep 2019, 14:50

Is there a weight limit to the bags we carry? I don't want to injure my neck or put my back out with the build up to Christmas due to a bag being overweight that I'm not meant to be carrying

Weight of bags

09 Sep 2019, 15:17

Your not meant to carry bags you have trollys for that.

Weight of bags

09 Sep 2019, 15:47

If you have official bag loops then they should be no more than 8kg.

http://www.cwubradfordanddistrict.org/d ... embers.htm

Weight of bags

09 Sep 2019, 15:48

FirstPost wrote:Is there a weight limit to the bags we carry? I don't want to injure my neck or put my back out with the build up to Christmas due to a bag being overweight that I'm not meant to be carrying

Think there is a weight limit but as hothothot says we have light weight trolleys (lwt) which your body will thank you for using. If you absolutely must carry a bag id be keeping it down to a couple of bundles and packets at most and only if its easyish to pick up but you really want to get into the habit of doing the job properly and use the tools that the employer wants us to use.

Weight of bags

09 Sep 2019, 16:55

As the table above shows its pretty much 8kg outside of places where you should be using an LWT such as in flats

Weight of bags

09 Sep 2019, 18:38

They took the scales out of our delivery office so you couldn't weigh the bags anyway

Weight of bags

09 Sep 2019, 18:42

eastie wrote:They took the scales out of our delivery office so you couldn't weigh the bags anyway

i think this is actually a h&s breach

Weight of bags

09 Sep 2019, 19:01

8kg if on the shoulder or 16kg+16kg on a trolley and that's it.

Weight of bags

09 Sep 2019, 20:39

Never actually seen anyone since I've been at RM weigh a bag. Did actually see a postie once put 4 bags on his shoulders, because he didn't wanna wait on me after each loop. Said he'd get me back at office. Of course he was long gone when I got back. Crazy

Weight of bags

09 Sep 2019, 22:51

Do the job properly.
If you are walking as opposed to working out of the van always use an LWT.
They do not slow you down, you can put small parcels in the pouches as well, and it saves putting your back out.

Weight of bags

10 Sep 2019, 06:59

I'll try and push for correct equipment in this case. What do others do at Christmas time? Carry around massive bags on every loop? :nana

Weight of bags

10 Sep 2019, 11:19

FirstPost wrote:I'll try and push for correct equipment in this case. What do others do at Christmas time? Carry around massive bags on every loop? :nana

Usually that's how it ends up. But you can leave all awkward and heavy packets in the van. Amazes me when people stuff 20 odd packets in a bag and then spend 2/3 mins each drop trying to find correct packet.
If you cant use trolley, use van, that's what it's for.

Weight of bags

10 Sep 2019, 18:20

Never seen any scales in our office...............would actually quite like to know how heavy the bags are sometimes when its really busy.

Weight of bags

12 Sep 2019, 19:50

smartecosse wrote:Never seen any scales in our office...............would actually quite like to know how heavy the bags are sometimes when its really busy.

We have scales in our DO capable of weighing York's of mail. For as long as I can remember we have been counting numbers of trays of letters, flats, tracked items, and York's of parcels & packets rather than the physical weight. I don't think RM want us to have too much specific knowledge regarding mail volumes. Quite often we find the total mail volumes stated by RM do not line up with how much mail we have received especially on busier days.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1