not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

No light duties available

12 Aug 2019, 11:40

I have been signed off work for the last couple of weeks due to a joint issue resulting in not being able to walk much. I have only been in the job 4 months so I am entitled to no pay apart from SSP and there is no support due to being under the 6 months mark. I accept that for the first 2 weeks I was signed off completely.

However, my Dr has signed me back with light duties with minimal walking. Work has told me they can not offer me any light duties and they are not obliged to fufill that request. So, therefore out of no choice of my own they are choosing to not source me any work at all and I am being left really stuck finacially. Where do I stand with regards to my entitlement on this? Can I get any more than SSP when it is works choice not to give light duties when the Dr recommends it? I have even asked to be put to another office to resolve this but they tell me there is nothing available anywhere. I am in the Glasgow region.

I am not part of the union and yes I would join but I cant afford food for the week never mind union membership right now. I wasnt given the opportunity to join when I started and the I've been moved office so don't know who my union rep is in my office atm. I just want to know where I stand on this as it is due to work that I am in this situation.

Thanks for any responses.

12 Aug 2019, 13:14

light duties - ask for a managers job

12 Aug 2019, 13:38

yubin282 wrote:light duties - ask for a managers job

The OPG can't afford to buy food, so a joke is the best response you can come up with :no no

In my opinion, you really do need to find the union rep at your office. Even if you're not in the union atm he might help. It blatantly isn't true that there are NO light duties in the office. The manager just can't be bothered to shift a few things around to accommodate you - eg putting d2d's in, prepping p/t frames etc.. (which might well be being done as O/T by another OPG)

Also maybe worth getting in touch with HR too, as they might give your boss a kick up the arse!

12 Aug 2019, 13:51

How far are you away from the local MC? Might be worth enquiring as whether light duties at the local MC would be an option?

12 Aug 2019, 14:09

If you were in the union your rep could put on a decent fight to get you in a light duty. As it is, youre unable to fulfill your contract and they are not obliged to pay you as you havent been there long enough as they have stated. If you were in a full contract you can bet theyd rather have you in doing *something* rather than pay you sick pay for nothing, as it is they dont have to pay you sick pay so why have you in. On your own this is a close to impossible fight, with unions help you may have a chance (although not guaranteed) of getting light duties.

12 Aug 2019, 14:54

You can't expect the union to help because your not in the union. When you first joined royal mail you should have joined the union but you didn't because you thought you wouldn't need them you didn't want to pay your dues , now you need them it's a different story. I don't want to seem hard but I've lost count how many times we've told newbies to join the union , but they can't be bothered.

12 Aug 2019, 14:57

Sorry only advice from me is the same as above but if it's any more of a consolation this kind of treatment makes my piss boil just as much as the next man, of course they can find something useful for you to do your manager can't be arsed.

12 Aug 2019, 15:18

I think a union rep might help. If only because if he does the OP may well join out of gratitude when his finances are restored. He might not of course but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

It would be better, I think, if we were up in arms about RM's refusal to pay new starters sick pay rather than castigating people in distressed circumstances for not joining the union.

12 Aug 2019, 16:24

Thanks for all replies.

However, I do not need the reply turning this back on me stating Newbies can not be bothered to join. I did not join on that basis. When I started with RM the union did not come to my induction like they usually do as I had mine on a different day to standard. When I started at my original office I asked within a couple of days for forms to join the union. I did not get those forms from that guy and I asked him repeatedly (he is no longer union rep). I then got transferred to another office and I have yet to find out who the union rep is in that office for me. It is only with this incident that I have found out from a work coach in my previous office that you can join online (which I intend to do when in a better financial position). So coming on here to leave a comment like that is less welcome than the comment about a managers job, at least they were being positive and not blaming a 'Newbie' for things that are uncontrollable.

Other than that - I have the new union rep at my previous office looking into work for me but not heard back anything yet so hopefully he will have something to come back with. I live within distance of the majority of offices even the MC and I have requested they look at other offices etc but they are telling me there is nothing available due to summer period.

It seems there is no solid answer but I completely disagree with their policies that there is absolutely no support available before 6 months. If anything the Rowlandhiill fund should support no matter what length of service, or at least review circumstances individually. I am on a permenant contract and that should be taken as consideration rather than pile all new starts into one category. This might be a fight but I am not one to step back and let them expect me to get by on this.

Oh and for the mananger comment - I'd happily help them out :crazy: lol.

12 Aug 2019, 16:29

Tell them you'll go out on delivery but working your hours and due to your condition you will need to leave a loop or 6 due to having to walk slower

They will soon find you light duties

Im joking of course.....unless that is an option.....? :crazy:

12 Aug 2019, 16:41

Acca Dacca wrote:Tell them you'll go out on delivery but working your hours and due to your condition you will need to leave a loop or 6 due to having to walk slower

They will soon find you light duties

Im joking of course.....unless that is an option.....? :crazy:

Although you say you're joking this is a very very good idea.

OP look into this.

13 Aug 2019, 00:24

Try to find out who your union rep is, and ask them for advice. Even if you are not a member they should be able to steer you in the right direction ( the union sticks up for all posties, and most senior posties are decent people who won't turn you away for not being a member)

Then talk to your manager if you feel comfortable. Explain what work you CAN do, without damaging your health ( this might be prep, d2ds etc).

Financially, you may be entitled to benefits. Citizens Advice might be able to advise you.

Good luck!

(And join the Union!)

13 Aug 2019, 10:33

You can join the union online now, no need to wait for a rep to give you forms or fill in the paperwork.

Bang a grievance in about not being offered light duties.

13 Aug 2019, 11:10

Is it possible that at the OP's office all the "light duties" could already be spoken for with DDA cases?

13 Aug 2019, 22:46

If you could get a docs note for a phased return, you and your DOM (and rep) should design a 6 week plan back to FT hours. If you have to go beyond the 6 weeks then you would be referred to OH for assessment. I'm not sure how this would affect your pay though as you're within your first year.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1