not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Older posties

12 Aug 2019, 16:09

I've done over 30 years don't do lapsing unless really an easy day which is few and far between nowadays, on a rural so big increase of parcels is my absorption. Come in on time have break before leave office and a short one on delivery when re arranging parcels. Still scratch my head at the runners how can they not see all around them? Lapsing, increase in part time duties etc.
Am planning to go at sixty but would go tomorrow if offered EVR despite this I do like the job once you get outside the office, people in the main are good and always like to receive a parcel.

Older posties

12 Aug 2019, 16:28

robbertwhitton wrote:Any thoughts from older posties who have been in service some 20,30,40 years? What do you think about the job now,how do you cope with the lapsing loaning,and being able to complete etc,are you fed up with the job now and want out? are you bullied for being old and maybe slowing up and always moaning?or do you simply suck it up and get on with your round with little or no interaction with fellow workers and management?im 58 and in my 37th year and becoming very synical,with mismanagement and unfairness and workload fictitious figures etc at every level,and am constantly voicing this in my tell it how it is voice,is it just me?

Unfortunately! no one really gives a toss about the older posties plight.
RM simply see you as a body to be used and abused regardless of age or their physical abilities- often as a result of doing a job deemed as being efficient in their opinion. It is now a young man/women's job, the scrap heap awaits older posties.
The Union are hardly proactive in voicing their concerns or even their opinions on a subject that is as plain as the nose on your face. Retirement age increases now with an ever increasing workload forced upon many people unable to cope with age related ailments, courtesy of RM.
Then there are the fellow posties ! Erm, too eager to point out others failings and oblivious to the fact that age eventually catches up with everyone. Their own selfish actions have added to and created a situation that has become worse and will never be addressed.

Older posties

12 Aug 2019, 16:43

I am knackered, aching, exhausted and I am nowhere near 60. I can't imagine still doing this in my 50's. Better off doing it up to 50 years old maximum and then buggering off to Spain to retire.

Older posties

12 Aug 2019, 17:09

scoobydo79 wrote:Got a few decades under My belt and I’m in My fifties. Wouldn’t mind leaving at 60. Will certainly look into it. Too physical and tiring now. If someone asked Me too walk 6 miles a day I’d say Your having a laugh but I’m doing it without even thinking about it on delivery. Jobs ridiculous now and gonna get worse.

6 miles!!! think yourself lucky some have 8 or 9

Older posties

12 Aug 2019, 19:27

NWpostie wrote:Been in 30 years, the first 12 years been great loking back, didn't think so at the time as it was just another working day, but compared to today it was the good old days, its true you don't know what you got until its gone, the job has changed considerably since then, for some reason the back stabbing by my colleagues has gone up, d2d dumping, snitching, there's little cameradre, the muppets still run around trying to finish early, I now just stick to doing the job properly and mark time until my retirement date, which can't come soon enough, in the meantime I always remember that the job pay rate is better than other jobs outside for the same level of skills which makes it a little bit easier.

i cant say i enjoy the job now but to be honest this job has given me stable employment and a fair wage over the years but i will be pleased to call it a day as soon as i can

Older posties

12 Aug 2019, 19:36

I have only done about 12.5 years but I find the job far easier than it was when I started. Am I alone?
The 5am starts and cycling everywhere was so tough, now I start 7-8am means I can actually go out in the evenings and live a normal life whilst still doing enough exercise to work off the beer. I’m lucky to be in a small office with a fairly easy round with a decent manager I guess.

Older posties

12 Aug 2019, 19:40

eastie wrote:
scoobydo79 wrote:Got a few decades under My belt and I’m in My fifties. Wouldn’t mind leaving at 60. Will certainly look into it. Too physical and tiring now. If someone asked Me too walk 6 miles a day I’d say Your having a laugh but I’m doing it without even thinking about it on delivery. Jobs ridiculous now and gonna get worse.

6 miles!!! think yourself lucky some have 8 or 9

Our full time rounds (6 hour delivery) if you go to nearly every house it’s easy 12+ miles.
Far too Much imo but we got old boys that do it no problem. My round is half firms so only do about 6 miles walking it’s good healthy exercise, wouldn’t mind it getting made bigger tbh.

Older posties

12 Aug 2019, 21:32

We’ve got a few older posties who are physically battered from pounding the streets, knee/hip replacements commonplace, bad backs, a few of them take painkillers daily just to cope, all in all a sad state of affairs. The young ones who run on the job now will probably be knackered in their 30s! Shame they can’t see it.

Older posties

12 Aug 2019, 21:44

Start my 31st year in November and started as a cadet!!!! This job has changed immensely.....my biggest gripe is the care free attitude of managers looking to bag their bonus..... not the way to manage in my opinion and it certainly has shown all over the country. No solidarity in my office at all and I wouldn’t trust many of them if the lights failed.....stab stab!!!!!
Last edited by par4mrl on 14 Aug 2019, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.

Older posties

12 Aug 2019, 23:06

The job has changed massively in the 30 years since I started the thing is most of the folk who start now will not get anywhere near 30 years in or a good duty or retirement age they will be invalided out or burnt out quit these duty spans will do even the toughest in 6 hour plus delivery spans, Who thinks this crap up love to see them do it even once but they cannot even sign overtime sheets without cocking it up!

Older posties

13 Aug 2019, 07:56

Into my 34th year started at 16 and my body is now falling to pieces... Hopefully I can see it out for another 5 years in which I'll draw my pension and buy a Shetland pony and go riding off over the hills singing s**t 80s songs.

Older posties

13 Aug 2019, 09:04

As someone in my mid 40's who is awaiting results of my interview this thread has me worried!

Older posties

13 Aug 2019, 17:48

vr6monkey wrote:As someone in my mid 40's who is awaiting results of my interview this thread has me worried!

Just be a Postie for 10 years max then become a manager and chill out in the office all day.

Older posties

13 Aug 2019, 17:49

Bernardson wrote:I've done over 30 years don't do lapsing unless really an easy day which is few and far between nowadays, on a rural so big increase of parcels is my absorption. Come in on time have break before leave office and a short one on delivery when re arranging parcels. Still scratch my head at the runners how can they not see all around them? Lapsing, increase in part time duties etc.
Am planning to go at sixty but would go tomorrow if offered EVR despite this I do like the job once you get outside the office, people in the main are good and always like to receive a parcel.

Same here 33 yrs in. 20 mins break before delivery , 20 mins at the end. Would have the full 40 if they wanted me to before delivery. But I'm sure the DIM knows it'd screw the specials up or cost more driving out in the sticks out of sequence.

Older posties

13 Aug 2019, 18:09

norris9 wrote:
vr6monkey wrote:As someone in my mid 40's who is awaiting results of my interview this thread has me worried!

Just be a Postie for 10 years max then become a manager and chill out in the office all day.

That's what I did in my last job lol, sadly the recession killed retail at the time, wasn't enjoyable :-/

Previous page Next page

Page 2 of 4   1, 2, 3, 4