not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Time off due to mothers death

10 Aug 2019, 06:16

My mother passed away on the 8th and I have not returned to work.
It is my rest week next week so do I have to contact royal mail to say I'm ok to work or not
Or co I contact them next week to say I will be returning
Any help is appreciated

10 Aug 2019, 07:11

exaandt wrote:My mother passed away on the 8th and I have not returned to work.
It is my rest week next week so do I have to contact royal mail to say I'm ok to work or not
Or co I contact them next week to say I will be returning
Any help is appreciated

First of all, my sincere condolences for your loss. It does get better with time, believe me.
Right, you should have been off work on berievment leave of 5 days so up to now, you have not been on sick leave. You say that you are on a rest week next week, is that annual leave or does your duty pattern have rest weeks?
Either way, you will have to make a decision if you are able to return to work and you must inform your manger today of your intentions. I would say as it is a rest week next week, and you haven't or shouldn't have incurred any sick leave since Tuesday, that you should say you're fit for work and take next week to reflect and see how you feel about returning the week after. In theory, if you don't feel up to it, and this is entirely individual , I for one was that stressed out after a long drawn out Illness of my mother before she passed away that I had some time away from work, you could self cert for a week and if you need more go to your GP.
If you are struggling it may help to talk to a councillor through work by calling 'feeling first class' . Ask your manager for the phone number, that way they will also see you are being pro active.
Hopefully you have a good human being for a manager.
Sincere condolences again and my best wishes for the future.

10 Aug 2019, 08:22

Condolences and please don’t delay getting back to work if You don’t mind Me saying.It can be a distraction from things and it’s better than dwelling alone at home. It’s hard but You will bounce back.

10 Aug 2019, 08:36

scoobydo79 wrote:Condolences and please don’t delay getting back to work if You don’t mind Me saying.It can be a distraction from things and it’s better than dwelling alone at home. It’s hard but You will bounce back.

As I said, each to their own but work and uncaring managers was the last place I wanted to be. I didn't want distracting from how I was feeling, I wanted to deal with it with people who cared about how I was feeling. Maybe your situation was different, and I respect that, just saying , telling people to get back to work isn't really helpful in these situations. Trust me, royal mail don't give a monkey's that your mums just passed away .
Everyone deals with grief in their own way, just let the OP go with how they are feeling. With respect.

10 Aug 2019, 10:20

Absolutely right Rambo. We don’t know the OPs full circumstances. I made the mistake of wallowing if You will and realised I was doing more harm than good to Myself.Lol also due to families appalling behaviour I found I got better support from workmates then them

10 Aug 2019, 18:14

When my father died I had a couple of days off on compassionate grounds but you need to remember that you will need some time off for the funeral and the organisation of it. I had the week of my fathers funeral off, all on compassionate grounds but then I am lucky, I have a decent manager.

12 Aug 2019, 19:12

olilew wrote:When my father died I had a couple of days off on compassionate grounds but you need to remember that you will need some time off for the funeral and the organisation of it. I had the week of my fathers funeral off, all on compassionate grounds but then I am lucky, I have a decent manager.

I had one day off when my mum died and asked for two days off for funeral, Dom refused claiming they only pay 1 day for funeral! I took it further he then paid me for two days off, I wasn’t happy with his lack of sympathy and general uncaring manner, yet we’ve had several people off with bad backs etc for a week here and there and nothing gets done about it yet he questions extra day for funerals it sums up Royal Mail unfortunately

12 Aug 2019, 19:30

You are allowed 5 days paid leave, i was given this no questions asked and was told it was policy, don't accept anything less.

13 Aug 2019, 05:14

I was also given a full week compassionate leave following my dads death, I was actually on annual leave when he died but I took the compassionate leave the following week when all the funeral arrangements needed dealing with.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1