not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE




Barcodes on Letters.

07 Aug 2019, 18:00

Anyone know what the hell's going on with these "Micro Bar-Codes" that seem to be included more,and more, on even the smallest letters and Bumf? :hmmmm They scan OK and come up as Delivered to customer. :shock: So is anyone expecting us to use them? :hmmmm

Just for the hell of it I scanned loads of them today (Bored). Hope I get the Office award for "The Most Scans in a Day"! :cuppa

Barcodes on Letters.

07 Aug 2019, 18:28

I noticed new redirections are coming with 2D's on the stickers now to.

Barcodes on Letters.

07 Aug 2019, 18:31

noggin1969 wrote:I noticed new redirections are coming with 2D's on the stickers now to.


Yep some of ours as well I noticed. :crazy: Be nice to know whats going on? :cuppa

Barcodes on Letters.

07 Aug 2019, 18:55

noggin1969 wrote:I noticed new redirections are coming with 2D's on the stickers now to.


Dorset Plodder wrote:
noggin1969 wrote:I noticed new redirections are coming with 2D's on the stickers now to.


Yep some of ours as well I noticed. :crazy: Be nice to know whats going on? :cuppa


The redirections might have the 2D barcodes on them for machine sorting (otherwise the machines would read the original sorting code that was printed on an item)

Barcodes on Letters.

07 Aug 2019, 18:57

When you scan the 2D ones on the redirections they give you the same options a normal 2D packet would ie. deliver to customer, not delivered etc. Whether we are supposed to scan them or not who knows.

Barcodes on Letters.

07 Aug 2019, 19:07

It could be the start of RM preparing to have barcodes on absolutely everything. I think packets will be the first to have a barcode on every item

Barcodes on Letters.

07 Aug 2019, 19:10

kookoo32 wrote:When you scan the 2D ones on the redirections they give you the same options a normal 2D packet would ie. deliver to customer, not delivered etc. Whether we are supposed to scan them or not who knows.


I asked a manager about these and was told not to bother scanning them, they are for some other part of the process.

Barcodes on Letters.

07 Aug 2019, 22:05

Regarding the usual full or partial square barcodes you find on letters, most notably on bank & building society statement envelopes, they will register on the PDA but they are not counted in the same way as the 2D barcodes. In short you do not have to scan those ones. I think they may be scanned somewhere in the process of sorting but it is not to do with us posties.

Regarding the 2D barcodes on the redirection stickers this is a relatively new change. I asked our Union rep today and he had no knowledge either way. DOMs generally have very little knowledge so unless you have a good one, and most offices will not, it's probably a waste of time asking them just yet. Recent experience I had on the new Supermarket + fuel cards and where they could be used also showed that the next level up of management are also fairly clueless as well. Some ***** really need a good kicking to be honest!

Barcodes on Letters.

07 Aug 2019, 22:40

Celgar wrote:Regarding the 2D barcodes on the redirection stickers this is a relatively new change. I asked our Union rep today and he had no knowledge either way.

When it comes to letters it's got to be for machine sorting so they can be sorted and sequenced by the machines (IMPs/iLSMs/CSS) rather then having to be manually sorted

Barcodes on Letters.

08 Aug 2019, 21:39

SpacePhoenix wrote:
Celgar wrote:Regarding the 2D barcodes on the redirection stickers this is a relatively new change. I asked our Union rep today and he had no knowledge either way.

When it comes to letters it's got to be for machine sorting so they can be sorted and sequenced by the machines (IMPs/iLSMs/CSS) rather then having to be manually sorted

Don't the machines read addresses or written postcodes as well?

Barcodes on Letters.

08 Aug 2019, 22:20

Celgar wrote:
SpacePhoenix wrote:
Celgar wrote:Regarding the 2D barcodes on the redirection stickers this is a relatively new change. I asked our Union rep today and he had no knowledge either way.

When it comes to letters it's got to be for machine sorting so they can be sorted and sequenced by the machines (IMPs/iLSMs/CSS) rather then having to be manually sorted

Don't the machines read addresses or written postcodes as well?

If there's an orange barcode on a letter they'll sort it to whatever address is coded into that barcode

Barcodes on Letters.

09 Aug 2019, 15:58

There is a facility on the Indoor menu to scan redirections.
They currently only use it for Specials and Tracked I believe.
Maybe this is where they will be used.
Although scanning them out of the DO and scanning them on delivery might cut down customer complaints about the service.

Barcodes on Letters.

09 Aug 2019, 17:08

Celgar wrote:Regarding the usual full or partial square barcodes you find on letters, most notably on bank & building society statement envelopes, they will register on the PDA but they are not counted in the same way as the 2D barcodes. In short you do not have to scan those ones. I think they may be scanned somewhere in the process of sorting but it is not to do with us posties.

Regarding the 2D barcodes on the redirection stickers this is a relatively new change. I asked our Union rep today and he had no knowledge either way. DOMs generally have very little knowledge so unless you have a good one, and most offices will not, it's probably a waste of time asking them just yet. Recent experience I had on the new Supermarket + fuel cards and where they could be used also showed that the next level up of management are also fairly clueless as well. Some ***** really need a good kicking to be honest!


That's why I thought I'd put it on her Celgar ....... as I think the grand sum of our knowledge is probably greater than the sum total of RM Low level management! :cuppa

Barcodes on Letters.

09 Aug 2019, 17:13

SpacePhoenix wrote:
The redirections might have the 2D barcodes on them for machine sorting (otherwise the machines would read the original sorting code that was printed on an item)


I've always put a pen through any of the Orange Bar Codes, before I put them in the Re-Direction Box. Every since I had a load of them come back to me. :crazy: Should be included in the Work Place Coachs Continuation Training (for New Posties) IMO, but all they ever seem to do is take the money and do bugger all. :cuppa

Previous page Next page


Page 1 of 1