not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Weekly vehicle check form

14 May 2019, 14:26

Anyone else do them? Or is it just us again?been told to do them every week on a “quiet”Tuesday,I do get we have to do the checks,but another form? Really?the coach is up beat about it and banging the drum for us to do it,even getting us clip boards,isn’t it enough to fill the log book in and highlight any defects in the appropriate column,why do we duplicate so much stuff in this company,I’m guessing some vans will be coming off the road if it’s done to the letter,

14 May 2019, 15:08

It is a legal requirement to do your vehicle checks. If you do not do them and you have an accident, and the vehicle has, let's say an illegal tyre.

1 it's your responsibility, therefore it is you who goes to court, gets fined, points on licence or lose licence.

2 management will not take any responsibility for it as they were not in charge of the vehicle.

3 God forgive if you kill someone and you have not done your vehicle checks.

4 You are putting your job at risk by not doing your vehicle checks.

5 Any defects report them via the PMT 1 for and advise manager, once you have done that the vehicle is off the road until vehicle workshop says it OK, not your manager. So do not take vehicle that has been logged off until the vehicle workshop says it's fit to drive.

5. Enjoy

14 May 2019, 16:32

Everyone is supposed to do them every week. It makes sense to do them on Tuesdays as you are likely to have a little time over although its not guaranteed. I tend to go over duty time on the rest of the days. It only takes about ten minutes and can highlight things like slow punctures or tyre valves that are not showing the correct pressure. Nothing worse than a van breaking down and having to wait an hour for a tyre to be replaced.
Cleaning vans is another matter and even if did have somewhere to do it there isn't time to do that nowadays. The introduction of absorption did away with any spare time for 'housekeeping' type activities.

14 May 2019, 18:15

I’ve never had a problem doing the checks,but yet another form was my gripe,after 37 years now they want me to fill another form in to no doubt please some auditor,how you look after your own van is miles away from how others do it,it would be nice to have vans in the fleet that are still fit for purpose,many of the reserves are far from that,but until we find fault with them after checking them correctly we will be stuck with them,some are a very poor and embarrassing advert for this company

14 May 2019, 18:49

robbertwhitton wrote:.......how you look after your own van is miles away from how others do it.......

Rob - as you said, it's a pain, but that's probably the whole point of the form being introduced, so that everybody knows the things that are to be checked,
no excuses..........

14 May 2019, 19:10

I thought you was ment to check your van & sign every time you take it out?

15 May 2019, 11:19

You should check the van before you take it's a legal requirement.

15 May 2019, 12:06

mattycash wrote:I thought you was ment to check your van & sign every time you take it out?

Yes but there are different checks. Both daily and weekly checks are required.

15 May 2019, 19:15

You should also do a vehicle check on take over of a vehicle from a colleague. A daily check is visual ie look at dipstick, lights etc, a weekly check is more in-depth ie checking depth of tread on tyres, and pressure in tyres etc
using correct tools

15 May 2019, 19:21

I don't know what the weekly check is to be quite honest. Our checks are done by two full timers who inspect the vans every morning. I check the tyres before I take any van out, that's it.

15 May 2019, 20:08

Could be interesting. I once had a slow puncture and the van didn't have a spare. For some reason it went out to the vehicle maintenance team whilst I drove every different van going until the usual van returned exactly as it was a week later with the same problem. It got put into service again and after another week they eventually put a new tyre on. I've heard many reports of drivers reporting faults and the maintenance team doing bugger all about it. When a guy refused to drive a van because he said his tyre thread was seriously worn, the managers said that they had no vans on the day for them to drive, in other words, they were forcing him to drive an unroadworthy van. So what does he do? Refuse to do his delivery and just sit there in the office until his time is up for the day? Where is the Union bloke when you need them to back you up.

17 May 2019, 17:22

postslippete wrote: When a guy refused to drive a van because he said his tyre thread was seriously worn, the managers said that they had no vans on the day for them to drive, in other words, they were forcing him to drive an unroadworthy van. So what does he do? Refuse to do his delivery and just sit there in the office until his time is up for the day?
It has nothing to do with the union rep and everything to do with the law. Driving with a defective tyre is an offence and under no circumstances should he be asked to take it out. If that was me I would just ask them if they'd like me to throw off some D2d or something until they ensured it was roadworthy.

19 May 2019, 11:11

97gaz wrote:
postslippete wrote: When a guy refused to drive a van because he said his tyre thread was seriously worn, the managers said that they had no vans on the day for them to drive, in other words, they were forcing him to drive an unroadworthy van. So what does he do? Refuse to do his delivery and just sit there in the office until his time is up for the day?
It has nothing to do with the union rep and everything to do with the law. Driving with a defective tyre is an offence and under no circumstances should he be asked to take it out. If that was me I would just ask them if they'd like me to throw off some D2d or something until they ensured it was roadworthy.

Me too, but we have to understand that not everyone is as comfortable in confronting managers in this type of situation. It's terrible, really, how some managers will pressure and intimidate even over serious h & s matters just to get that mail out the door.

And, to reiterate a view above, the state of our fleet is just embarrassing. The other week when we came back we had two managers and a clipboard doing a visual vehicle check. How we laughed when one commented we should give it a wash the next day.

The next day was my day off and a Wednesday, but I did pass the message on to the cover. How they laughed too. It's all one big chortle when you think about it, isn't it?

20 May 2019, 13:31

crimson king wrote:
97gaz wrote:

Me too, but we have to understand that not everyone is as comfortable in confronting managers in this type of situation. It's terrible, really, how some managers will pressure and intimidate even over serious h & s matters just to get that mail out the door.

And, to reiterate a view above, the state of our fleet is just embarrassing. The other week when we came back we had two managers and a clipboard doing a visual vehicle check. How we laughed when one commented we should give it a wash the next day.

The next day was my day off and a Wednesday, but I did pass the message on to the cover. How they laughed too. It's all one big chortle when you think about it, isn't it?
well said that man,management deluded on thinking how easy it is to replace a defective van,yes it’s defective can you drive it to workshop? mmmmm no it’s defective and not roadworthy!they or the RAC can come and get it,and the clock starts ticking on weather you will have time to complete

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1